General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

When I first heard it I thought it was the new name for whatever the Sherpa Van trophy is called these days. Didn't even twig it was the League Cup.

I believe that was the most important cup competition in the world last season.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just bin the fucking thing. It would help to re-raise the profile of the FA Cup in the process. We don't need two cup competitions and we haven't for years.

This is my thought process. For the teams in the top 2 divisions, playing 38/46 games at a minimum, plus FA Cup and Europe for a good 6/8 as well, you've got squads playing pretty much once every 5 days on average, plus training, internationals and the likes it's the reason England's a more demanding league, less the play which is a lot less aggressive than other nations, more so the workload is killing younger players and wearing down bodies earlier. 

League 1 and League 2 have the Football League Trophy (which could be developed further to give some gravitas), so getting knocked out in the second round of the League Cup really isn't doing any good or bad, its just wasting a midweek fixture and wearing guys out more, it's not a big game if Cheltenham are playing West Ham in the League Cup anywhere near as much as the FA, even if they have put a strong team out. 

It'd be better all round just sacking it off and letting 7th place have the extra Europa League spot, then 8th if the FA Cup winners are already in Europe. It'll at least have teams fighting to the end of the season in case they can still go into Europe on their own merit rather than waiting for other results. 

Also having seen the UEFA Seeings, Celtic fans are pretty much hoping for Shaktar, Anderlecht and Porto in their group to stand any chance of making it into the last 16 right?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Does anyone think there is any way to raise the prestige of the Carabao Cup? Is it worth doing so? Every year it seems to mean less and less. I had to ask somebody the other day what the fuck Carabao is. 

By getting rid of it. Most teams in the Europa don't want to be there anyway. 

9 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Does anyone think there is any way to raise the prestige of the Carabao Cup? Is it worth doing so? Every year it seems to mean less and less. I had to ask somebody the other day what the fuck Carabao is. 

I said to someone that I thought it was the football league trophy /ceckatrade trophy. I got corrected and thought what the fuck.

Thing is these days promotion, relegation and Europe are so important teams don't give a fuck. Previously teams would take the trophy even if relegated now teams just want to stay in the premiership. 

Football league teams are contractually obliged to be part of it but what about Premier teams? Can they just not take part. 

• Paid Members

Jon Toral has gone to Hull for £3 million. Feel sorry for him really, he looked like he has the potential to be exceptional when Arsenal got him first, but injuries have really stunted his progress. Looked decent out on loan in spells, but hopefully he can find the consistency he needs at Hull. Good luck to him.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know for example why Real Madrid couldn't be drawn in Group D for the Champions League draw? 

Having watched the draw, Celtic are going to have a chance at finishing 3rd, but unless Neymar can't turn up on a cold night in Glasgow, they haven't a hope of first or second.

Archived