General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney retires from England Duty after turning down the chance to be in Gareth Southgates next squad 

Bit Surprised by that, thought with the World Cup next Summer he'll at least stick it out till then even if just as a squad player and become the 1st English Player to play in 4 World Cups.

Guess he thought with his decent start for Everton, and feeling fresher coming of a longer Summer break having not been involved with the England squads at the end of the last season the extra rest on international breaks will only help him at this stage of his Career.

Shame to see his England Days end with little fanfare but its probably in the long run a good move for both parties.

He gets the extra rest and Southgate wont be constantly having to ask questions about fitting Rooney in the team etc

So with Rooney gone thats the last of that Golden Generation from what 2004-2010 that failed to deliver, so much talent but just never fulfilled the potential.   

It's actually really nice to see Rooney enjoying his football again, I think he feels he is in a happy place now, back to boyhood club, more playing time, less pressure, no international games. I think what people forget is that he peaked really early in his career and has always had the spotlight/pressure on him, I guess now he can go about his business and wind down on his career and hopefully for him transform Everton into a top four team in contention for trophies. Always seemed a down to earth guy, good luck to him. 

50 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

It's actually really nice to see Rooney enjoying his football again, I think he feels he is in a happy place now, back to boyhood club, more playing time, less pressure, no international games. I think what people forget is that he peaked really early in his career and has always had the spotlight/pressure on him, I guess now he can go about his business and wind down on his career and hopefully for him transform Everton into a top four team in contention for trophies. Always seemed a down to earth guy, good luck to him. 

I agree, he has been heavily criticized over the past few years while still playing at a good level just not at the level he was in his early 20's. At Everton he can go have fun representing HIS club, the crowd will love him no matter what and he will help the club. He is still a good player, he just doesn't fit into the current Man United team. 

The only way to raise it would be to either offer a Champions League place (not that I think they should) or to include Scottish teams to mix things up. 

I know some say its disrespectful when clubs put out a second team but find it slightly hypocritical when they go and do the live draw at silly O'Clock in another country.

Archived