General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

14 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Given our record in the striker market, I could never turn my nose up at a player that will score the amount of goals Lukaku would score, but he wouldn't be my (realistic) first choice for a new striker. I'd prefer Belotti or Morata. But with how badly hijacking the Lukaku deal at this point would burn United- it would be fucking amazing!

There's no way they would have briefed the press so heavily and confidently over the last couple of days without it being 100% done, right?

Correct, United wouldnt brief the press so explicitly without being sure they would get what they want out of it. With the Rooney and Keane deals intertwined into it all I couldnt see anything changing, although I doubt the story of Chelsea matching the offer was true anyway. I do believe part of United briefing the press was to spite Madrid a bit, and to effectively lower Moratas value by letting every other club know they no longer want him.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Daily Star (yeah, I know) have reported that we're in for Mateo Kovacic, whilst the Guardian has reported that the club deny interest. 

I'd be very pleased if we got him. I think he's brilliant. 

• Paid Members

Dont think I was ever more excited to sign a player than when United signed Wayne Rooney in 2004. His potential was sky-high. That hattrick on his debut as well was fucking ridiculous. This 18 year old kid coming into a side with Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs and Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes and instantly becoming the biggest influence in the starting 11 that year spoke volumes about him as a teenager.

Had an incredible career at United. Won everything and became the all time leading goalscorer, but never quite became the player he should have became. He looked like a young Ronaldo when he first turned up. Just powerful as fuck. Injuries, outside forces and not taking care of himself probably done him in the end. I thought he was guaranteed to be in the running for the world player of the year eventually. Shame, but glad he's went back to Everton. Hope he bangs them in for them.

• Paid Members

He's probably the most flawed great player I've ever seen.

You look at his career statistics, the honours he's won - he's had a truly great career. Some of the goals he's scored and also some of the play between him and Ronaldo was absolutely ridiculous. Weird how when we talk about great strike partnerships, even at just United, that we don't talk much about them as one of the best because they absolutely were.

Yet you look back at his career as well and you could also talk so much about where he didn't excel. I don't think the fact that his career has felt like it's winding down at the top level in the last couple of years is one criticism that is fair. He peaked much earlier than most players and the amount he achieved before the vast majority of players have even established themselves as regular first-teamers is extraordinary. Physically, he's never been the specimen that Giggs or Ronaldo or Totti or Del Piero was, all of them are brilliant athletes. Rooney's always been a pudgy sort, but that's just his natural shape. Therefore, he was more likely to burn out quicker than those and others you could mention.

But his failure to develop into the number 10 playmaker as his body started to deteriorate when he got into his thirties and his failure to learn how to play that role is a definitely fair criticism. It's a real disappointment that he's never really learned how to play that role properly. I've also never thought him to be at all an inspirational captain either.

I think he might also reflect on how United fans would be reacting to him today if he hadn't been so aggressive about trying to leave. You compare the amount of chanting of his name prior to when he first wanted to leave to what it's been like since then, and he lost a lot of good faith from the United fans, a lot of which he never really got back. It's probably why the response to him leaving has been a bit muted, as some have noted.

Even so, an extraordinary run at United. Still don't know how he fits in Everton's plans but I'm just glad he's not around United anymore, dragging down his achievements with more of the plodding performances he's trotted out the last two seasons.

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely delighted to see him return to Everton, I've wanted this for him for a long time now. I really hope he does well for them, but most importantly I'm glad we've finally got him off our books in a way that lets both parties part ways on good terms.

• Paid Members

He was absolutely fearless at Euro 2004 as an 18 year old. Just smashing into the likes of Thuram and Viera and running at defences with pace to burn and finishing so confidently. If his body had have stood up to the abuse or if it was treated with a bit more care,  he maybe would have turned into one of the best ever. Sadly wasn't the case, but he still had a hell of a career. Interested to see what he gets up to at Everton.

• Paid Members

There is a report in the Sunday Times that a VC firm backed by Mark Zuckerberg are interested in making a 1bn bid for Spurs. Talk is that Joe Lewis wants 2bn. 

I'd be down with that, but I'd like to keep Levy as chairman. 

• Paid Members

I have no doubt in my mind that we'd have won Euro 2004 if Rooney didnt break his foot. Everyone in that tournament was terrifed of him. They had no clue what to do with him. We had a good side, and then we had this 18 year old beast of a man up front charging towards defenders who looked deathly affraid of him. 18/19 year old Wayne Rooney is still probably the best Wayne Rooney. He was incredibly fun to watch.

2009/10 era Rooney was fun to watch as well. He seemed to score headers every week. If you're into that sort of thing, he was bundles of enjoyment.

• Paid Members
On 7/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, Gus Mears said:

I have absolutely no idea why other Chelsea fans keep banging on about Morata as if he's the second coming of Christ.  He's had one good (above goal every other game) scoring season statistically

Maybe, if you're just looking at straight up appearances/goal numbers. His goals per minute numbers at Juve would likely have him as a 1-in-2 striker, all while largely playing a supporting role. He's class and I've rated him long before last season. His overall game is fantastic and he'd be much better suited to playing between the likes of Hazard and Pedro than Lukaku.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's probably the most flawed great player I've ever seen.

Until he turns up with a fishing rod and a KFC to comfort a gun-wielding David Moyes, he doesn't get that title.

But your post is spot on.

Really want him to do well for a season or so at Everton but I'm not sure it'll work out as some might think, but good luck to him. @

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Really want him to do well for a season or so at Everton but I'm not sure it'll work out as some might think, but good luck to him. @

Bonus points for the @ symbol at the end! I miss the real Rooney on Twitter.

• Paid Members

I still rate Rooney very highly. Yes, he isn't what he was and his failure to adapt to a new role has probably tarnished him in the minds of some but I reckon he'll do great back at Everton. Another signing that shows that Everton mean business this season. Have they had some new influx of cash or is it just that the TV rights deal is so massive now that every club has oodles of cash?

I wonder if we will get Ross Barkley now  

• Paid Members

I can see Rooney's career having a bit of an Indian Summer at Everton. I know they say "never go back", but he's still got enough left in the tank to be an influential player for them...

Archived