General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I know a lad who moved to the states to play for Orlando City, a few season before they were accepted into the MLS. Luke Boden is his name and was a fairly promising defender at Wednesday, but asked to have his contract terminated to he could make the move. 

He says the quality at the time of his move was abysmal, and he felt like the second coming of Bobby Moore at first. Money wasn't good either, and he had to take a part time job in a shopping mall to make ends meet. He said he noticed a marked difference when they got into the MLS though, but it was still no where near Championship quality, and a lot of League One teams would batter the US teams too. He's at Tampa Bay now, but was saying if it wasn't for the cracking lifestyle they have over there, he would be trying to get a club back over here as the money is just not good enough....

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's more because he's back in the second tier now though, right? Then again, I'd imagine League 1 teams would pay more. He must be playing alongside Joe Cole at the Rowdies!

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That's more because he's back in the second tier now though, right? Then again, I'd imagine League 1 teams would pay more. He must be playing alongside Joe Cole at the Rowdies!

Yes, he's basically an amateur player now he's dropped out of the MLS. Saying that though, he was working in the shopping mall whilst at Orlando, so the pay can't have been that good to start with(I don't know how much the cost of living is over there though). I'll be seeing him at the end of the month as he'll be at my brother in laws wedding in Santorini, so i'll grill him on it then(and ask him how much of a billy big bollocks little Joe Cole is!).

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Forget Joe Cole, he must've played alongside Kaka at Orlando! That's an incredible thing to be able to say.

His appearances had become few and far between by the time Kaka got there. But apparently Kaka was sound as a pound while he played along side him. His wage was twice as much as the rest of the squads put together by all accounts, but he would insist on buying the whole travelling squad their dinner and supper when on away trips. He told us that he did things on the training pitch that none of his team mates thought were possible....

Fucking Kaka. What a player that Jesus loving goon was at Milan. For a while it seemed all the shit hot Brazilians would automatically become a bit poo in their 30's although it was probably only Kaka and the two Ronnies.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Fucking Kaka. What a player that Jesus loving goon was at Milan. For a while it seemed all the shit hot Brazilians would automatically become a bit poo in their 30's although it was probably only Kaka and the two Ronnies.

Kaka became a bit poo?

I didn't know the MLS had a second tier, I thought they didn't have relegation/promotion like the other Big 4. What happens if the second-tier teams finish top of their respective divisions?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Kaka became a bit poo?

I didn't know the MLS had a second tier, I thought they didn't have relegation/promotion like the other Big 4. What happens if the second-tier teams finish top of their respective divisions?

It's not a second tier like we have here(and almost every other league in the world). It's basically a separate league altogether, thats populated by smaller "franchises". There isn't any promotion still, but the bigger teams are trying to build their clubs in the hop of being accepted into the MLS next time an expansion slot comes available. Thats what Orlando City FC did. They played in the USL Pro League and wanted to be the MLS 20th club(I think), but they got overlooked. I think they were eventually accepted once they had moved into a new stadium...

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Thank fuck that shitarse of a season is over. Good riddance.

So, has Conte accomplished his 'get sacked' mission?

I fucking hope so. It's one thing when players down tools, but he's looked ready to head off to Bognor for the summer since about October.

Thank God this steaming pile of shite of a season is almost over. After gradually being less and less interested about football in general over a number or years, watching Chelsea deliver a procession of mind numbingly boring performances has just about finished me of. I can deal with being comedically poor like 2015-16, this was another level of dullness. I'm not sure who has been more apathetic, me, the manager, or the players. 

Not winning anything is Fine, but it's the total lack of anything vaguely memorable that's been irritating. About the only thing I'll rememer of this season unless we win the cup is beating Spurs when everyone was suspended in match week 2.

• Paid Members

It had totally passed me by that Michael Carrick was retiring after this season. I love Carrick. He was great at Spurs and then obviously went on to be great for United as well. Carrick is one of those players that could always come back to White Hart Lane and get applause from the Spurs fans because he played so well for us and left in a "nice" way. But I never really get why my fellow fans feel the need to shout abuse at, for example, Kyle Walker just because they left the club for another English team. Unless a player does a Sol Campbell or pushes for a move in a way that is detrimental to the team overall, I think they should be given a nice reception (within reason) when they come back to play against you with their new team.

Also, it'll be cool to see Burnley playing in Europe next year.

Not winning anything is Fine, but it's the total lack of anything vaguely memorable that's been irritating. About the only thing I'll rememer of this season unless we win the cup is beating Spurs when everyone was suspended in match week 2.

One of only two league losses all season at Wembley, by the way. And that game was our first at Wembley this season. The guy (I think it was @DCW) who claimed that this season for Spurs could only be looked upon as a failure really was way off the mark. If we're just talking about the league, to lose only twice at Wembley all season is pretty impressive, I think. We could have very easily had a much harder time of it and wound up mid-table, just because of the Wembley-factor. That fact that, even with Wembley, we've achieved our third consecutive top-three finish since Bill Nicholson was in charge shouldn't be scoffed at. Yeah, we probably should have won a cup - the most realistic one being the FA Cup as Poch plays a weakened team in the League Cup and we were never going to win the Champions League. But even with the Champions League, remember the draw? Same group as Dortmund and Real Madrid...and we finished top of that group, including beating both Dortmund and Madrid 3-1 at Wembley and taking points home from the Bernabeu and beating Dortmund away. We also came back from 2 goals down against last year's CL runners-up in Turin. We battered Liverpool at Wembley and handily beat United there. We beat Arsenal there - their second home! - too. Only the most idiotic kind of football fan could say we've had a bad season.

• Paid Members

Carrick was criminally underused by England. Such a shame. It's no fluke that the most successful period in Utd's history started after he joined.

Also, after watching him for 80 odd mins today, he's arguably still the best passer we have in the team.

31 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Few questions, cant seem to get much clarity from google. 

When does the championship season start? 

Also, is the transfer window going to close early for championship/league one and two clubs? 

August 4th and no.

15 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

It had totally passed me by that Michael Carrick was retiring after this season. I love Carrick. He was great at Spurs and then obviously went on to be great for United as well. Carrick is one of those players that could always come back to White Hart Lane and get applause from the Spurs fans because he played so well for us and left in a "nice" way. But I never really get why my fellow fans feel the need to shout abuse at, for example, Kyle Walker just because they left the club for another English team. Unless a player does a Sol Campbell or pushes for a move in a way that is detrimental to the team overall, I think they should be given a nice reception (within reason) when they come back to play against you with their new team.

Also, it'll be cool to see Burnley playing in Europe next year.

One of only two league losses all season at Wembley, by the way. And that game was our first at Wembley this season. The guy (I think it was @DCW) who claimed that this season for Spurs could only be looked upon as a failure really was way off the mark. If we're just talking about the league, to lose only twice at Wembley all season is pretty impressive, I think. We could have very easily had a much harder time of it and wound up mid-table, just because of the Wembley-factor. That fact that, even with Wembley, we've achieved our third consecutive top-three finish since Bill Nicholson was in charge shouldn't be scoffed at. Yeah, we probably should have won a cup - the most realistic one being the FA Cup as Poch plays a weakened team in the League Cup and we were never going to win the Champions League. But even with the Champions League, remember the draw? Same group as Dortmund and Real Madrid...and we finished top of that group, including beating both Dortmund and Madrid 3-1 at Wembley and taking points home from the Bernabeu and beating Dortmund away. We also came back from 2 goals down against last year's CL runners-up in Turin. We battered Liverpool at Wembley and handily beat United there. We beat Arsenal there - their second home! - too. Only the most idiotic kind of football fan could say we've had a bad season.

For all the talk of spurs playing great football and Poch being the next big thing in management, Spurs have won nothing and come no closer to winning anything and will be losing one of the best defenders in the league and a useful squad player due to a reluctance to spend money. Maybe not a failure, but certainly not kicked on. 

I think Spurs chance of seriously competing for the league/cl in the future will be seriously constrained by the stadium debt, and it seems auld Poch feels the same way, hence the quasi ultimatum he's apparently given Levy.

Archived