Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it annoying how much of big deal was made when Becky Lynch got lumped off Nia Jax recently. Wrestlers punch each other all the time. One gets legit smacked in the face and they've hyped it up. Makes every strike thrown in wrestling look stupid. It's not like it's Owen breaking Austin's neck in 1997 either as a piledriver would hurt without paralyzing someone. Becky did look a star in the aftermath of it though so that was good.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I found it annoying how much of big deal was made when Becky Lynch got lumped off Nia Jax recently. Wrestlers punch each other all the time. One gets legit smacked in the face and they've hyped it up. Makes every strike thrown in wrestling look stupid.

They don't give each other concussions causing each other to miss heavily promoted matches on pay per view all the time. You can wallow in the misfortune or you can use it. They used it.

I get that. But you have wrestlers throwing strikes in every single match you see and not one has a mark on them. One gets punched for real and they really go to town on it. As I said, Becky looked a star at the end of the whole thing but it makes every other punch you see look pointless and stupid.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

But you have wrestlers throwing strikes in every single match you see and not one has a mark on them.

It's a work.

What's the alternative? Write Lynch off the storyline and say she's injured without ever showing her bloody face again or alluding to how it happened? Fine in real sport, but this is pro wrestling, where WORKED injuries are integral to characters' feuds, returns, revenge etc. They're hardly going to pass on the chance of using a real injury to embellish the arc of their top star. Wouldn't have done with Stone Cold, makes sense they didn't with The Man. Exploit everything - when life gives you lemons, throw a lemonparty.

• Paid Members
On 11/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, Carbomb said:

That's terrible. I don't mind rolling suplex thingies, but that should be a finish or at least a double-down. He's never got being Tyler Black out of his system, has he? Granted, I haven't seen much of him in WWE, but what little I have seen has me wondering why people on here have praised him as some super-worker babyface when he still seems like a classic indy spot monkey. 

If that's his work after coming out of the PC and NXT, he must have been ridiculous in RoH.

I don't understand any of the praise Rollins gets. He's basically all the worst parts of the current WWE style embodied in one wrestler. His matches always get "This is awesome" chants and will then be immediately forgotten. No character or storyline to anything he does. He's a poor man's AJ Styles.

51 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

His matches always get "This is awesome" chants and will then be immediately forgotten.

That’s not exclusive to him though is it. Stuff that is bang average gets “this is awesome!” so long as you throw in some kicked out finishers in the last 2 minutes, such is the Pavlovian response. I can’t remember anything from Backlash this year, but I bet there was a “this awesome!” chant at some point

On 12/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, The Maestro said:

I found it annoying how much of big deal was made when Becky Lynch got lumped off Nia Jax recently. Wrestlers punch each other all the time. One gets legit smacked in the face and they've hyped it up. Makes every strike thrown in wrestling look stupid.

Or it just makes that punch look harder than the others. Not every punch in boxing results in a knockout, but they still replay the ones that do.

• Paid Members
On 12/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, The Maestro said:

I found it annoying how much of big deal was made when Becky Lynch got lumped off Nia Jax recently. Wrestlers punch each other all the time. One gets legit smacked in the face and they've hyped it up. Makes every strike thrown in wrestling look stupid. It's not like it's Owen breaking Austin's neck in 1997 either as a piledriver would hurt without paralyzing someone. Becky did look a star in the aftermath of it though so that was good.

yeah, anytime something goes wrong or someone gets injured you always see the 'so you think wrestling is fake?' posts on twitter along with a picture of the injury like its some kind of badge of legitimacy, definitely annoying.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Definitely not exclusive to him. But I would say he's the top wrestler who performs that flashy but completely empty style of match. Like I said, he's the worst parts of the current WWE style all in one wrestler.

Bloke was hitting Phoenix Splashes as a heel. Baffling.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, The Maestro said:

I would have just sold it more as a beatdown from brawling with the Raw roster rather than just highlighting the one punch. As I said, she looks a proper star in the aftermath of it all and they've done well to capitalise on it.

I'd disagree with this. It's given Nia some massive heat which she is running with fairly well (for her). If they had sold it to the Raw roster then there is no focal point and people would have forgotten about it on Raw by the time the 3rd hour of the next show began. 

Given the backing Becky is getting from "da universe" as well, i don't think WWE could have done anything else to try and deflect it from Nia and it being successful. 

Archived