Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate those interminable pin combination reversal thingies where there’s like fifteen one-counts... it’s so fucking contrived and phoney looking.

I have a weird thing about really fake looking hot tags, too... the ones where both wrestlers are half dead, half dead, half dead, half dead... still half dead... then leap six feet across the ring at the last minute to tag their partners!

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, firstnameunknown said:

I really hate those interminable pin combination reversal thingies where there’s like fifteen one-counts... it’s so fucking contrived and phoney looking.

Anything that involves frenetic action, be it pinfall reversals or strike attempts, with the artificial pause/stand off to allow the crowd to applaud. Triple points if it involves wrestlers mirroring each other, break the scale for simultaneously missing dropkicks.

• Paid Members

There is another variant : in tag matches where the two "halves" of the match are having the exact same exchange in terms of exchanges of blows and when there's a double Irish whip, sometimes both reversed, and identical duck under/leapfrog/drop down then dropkicks or superkicks. Two guys both deciding to do dives when their opponents are outside the ring is fine but entire mirrored sequences look awful, especially when the heels magically reverse at the same point.

16 hours ago, air_raid said:

Anything that involves frenetic action, be it pinfall reversals or strike attempts, with the artificial pause/stand off to allow the crowd to applaud. Triple points if it involves wrestlers mirroring each other, break the scale for simultaneously missing dropkicks.

Oh the double drop kick is so shit. 

• Awards Moderator

At the moment, it's Seth Rollins' superplex-into-Falcon-Arrow move. Takes me out of the match every time. People ripped the piss out of Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards for their awful superplex-suplex-suplex spot, and rightly so, but this one from Seth's almost as bad for me. BURN IT DOWN.

• Paid Members

The Spanish Fly. People harp on about the Canadian Destroyer being logic defying (and it is) but I never see the Spanish fly get the same hate. It's one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen, and always takes me out of matches that it's carried out in. I can't for the life of me fathom, how I'm meant to suspend my disbelief that the move could work. Nonsense, it is. 

• Paid Members
On 11/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, GordyM said:

Survivor Series-style team elimination matches where team mates don't bother to break up pins until there's only a couple of people left. Seeing 3 or 4 guys standing on the apron and just watching as their team mate gets pinned is such annoying and stupid booking.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:10 PM, dopper said:

I agree that doesn't make sense.

But if you were being logical about it the first fall in any match of that type would not happen until 15/20 minutes in due to so many team-mates still being fresh and alert and in position to break up pin attempts.

I can't remember the specifics, but WWE only allow a certain number of pin breaks during a tag match - when Davey Boy Smith Jr was released, he told a story about having been legitimately disqualified for one. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

At the moment, it's Seth Rollins' superplex-into-Falcon-Arrow move. Takes me out of the match every time. People ripped the piss out of Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards for their awful superplex-suplex-suplex spot, and rightly so, but this one from Seth's almost as bad for me. BURN IT DOWN.

I made the bad choice of trying to defend those ROH spots on here and got destroyed for it. There was one spot involving O'Reilly and Davey that I stuck my neck out for and I got chewed up to a huge extent. So to see Rollins pull that shit off on a weekly basis to hardly any UKFF outrage has done me over. 

4 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

The Spanish Fly. People harp on about the Canadian Destroyer being logic defying (and it is) but I never see the Spanish fly get the same hate. It's one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen, and always takes me out of matches that it's carried out in. I can't for the life of me fathom, how I'm meant to suspend my disbelief that the move could work. Nonsense, it is. 

The Canadian Destroyer looks much better when it's a running variant; the added speed and rapid flip make it work. However, the best, most believable looking version applies to the top rope variant. You're elevated above your opponent and there is enough momentum to flip your opponent over. Fuck, it even worked in real life on an episode of Gladiators;

Similarly, the original version of the Spanish Fly (double team off the top rope) also looks much more believable and looks a lot better.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I can't remember the specifics, but WWE only allow a certain number of pin breaks during a tag match - when Davey Boy Smith Jr was released, he told a story about having been legitimately disqualified for one. 

Burning your tag - You supposedly get one chance at breaking it up, after that it’s a DQ. I think it was Dean Ambrose mentioned it when he did guest commentary one time, I can’t remember who was in the match, but someone broke up a pin and Dean said “he just burned his tag there”

Archived