Wrestling things that annoy

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I'm kind of both sides of this argument - on one hand, using Becky's injury to get heat on Nia makes perfect sense, it's an "I Broke Wahoo's Leg"/"Owen 3:16" angle that gets heat on Nia while also keeping Becky in the conversation while she's off TV. 

The downside is the sort of pseudo-kayfabe of saying that Nia's in the wrong for punching Becky too hard, and should feel remorse for punching her, when people are throwing flurries of punches at each other every single match just to get from spot to spot, with no effect whatsoever. Admittedly, I've not seen any WWE TV while they've been running this angle, so I'm not sure how well they've handled this, but I'm generally a bit iffy about punches in wrestling anyway - unless you can throw them as well as a Jerry Lawler or Terry Funk, it's probably best just not bothering.

An obviously faked punch "exposes the business" far more than any Canadian Destroyer or pop-up Falcon Arrow, and everyone either knows or has a pretty good idea of how it feels to be punched in the face, at least far more than how it feels to be Powerbombed or Canadian Destroyered, so seeing people shrug off countless punches as if they're nothing every match is already a bit naff before you get to the one or two instances where suddenly being punched is a big deal - whether that's Nia Jax's punch causing an injury, or Big Show's being a viable finisher, yet him waiting ten minutes before even trying to hit this one magic knock-out blow he's capable of.

Speaking of knock-outs, Kassius Ohno. I hate the "Knock-Out Artist" moniker. 90% of the guy's offence is strikes, which means he's constantly hitting elbows, forearms and kicks that don't knock anyone out, so how is he a Knock-Out Artist?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

He's never been particularly popular on here.

I've been banging on for most of this year about pushing him. Supremo has said more than once that he needs the rocket on him. Others have too. He's no Mick Foley.

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm kind of both sides of this argument - on one hand, using Becky's injury to get heat on Nia makes perfect sense, it's an "I Broke Wahoo's Leg"/"Owen 3:16" angle that gets heat on Nia while also keeping Becky in the conversation while she's off TV. 

The downside is the sort of pseudo-kayfabe of saying that Nia's in the wrong for punching Becky too hard, and should feel remorse for punching her, when people are throwing flurries of punches at each other every single match just to get from spot to spot, with no effect whatsoever. Admittedly, I've not seen any WWE TV while they've been running this angle, so I'm not sure how well they've handled this, but I'm generally a bit iffy about punches in wrestling anyway - unless you can throw them as well as a Jerry Lawler or Terry Funk, it's probably best just not bothering.

They've given NIa the nickname "face-breaker" and having her heel it up. It is effective in giving her the heat but - its Nia at the end (pause) of the (pause) day

Having rewatched Mania 31 over the past few days, the continual obsession with people looking for a 'Wrestlemania Moment' rather than winning a match or merely doing their finishing move.

And adding to the overly-rehearsed flippy stuff, anything that makes Michael Cole yelp 'What a sequence!'

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Grecian said:

Having rewatched Mania 31 over the past few days, the continual obsession with people looking for a 'Wrestlemania Moment' rather than winning a match or merely doing their finishing move.

That being a thing the commentators talk about became insufferable but when the wrestlers talk about it rather than wins and losses it becomes a farce. I'm reasonably sure Big Show made a song and dance about a WrestleMania moment during the entire build up to his immediately forgettable match with Cody Rhodes, whatever year that happened.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

That being a thing the commentators talk about became insufferable but when the wrestlers talk about it rather than wins and losses it becomes a farce. I'm reasonably sure Big Show made a song and dance about a WrestleMania moment during the entire build up to his immediately forgettable match with Cody Rhodes, whatever year that happened.

I didn't mind that one so much as at least it gave some purpose to the programme. Plus Big Show had genuinely endured a lot of shite at Wrestlemania.

I get annoyed when in a tag team match the faces get the heels in their own submission hold at the same time. Looked especially bad in that mixed tag where Cena and Nikki Bella put Miz and Marysse in submission holds but there was a slight gap so looks super awkward and planned.

4 hours ago, Tony B. Liar said:

I cannot stand any ‘tower of doom’

stupid 3 or more person suplex powerbomb combos. I can be really enjoying the match, and then a really over the top sequence like that sucks me right out of it.

i hate it.

Similar to that, when someone has  something like a sleeper applied, then someone comes and applies their own to sleep that person, then another one comes in and so on. Might as well go wild and go full on Human Centipede 

16 hours ago, Grecian said:

Pointing at the WrestleMania sign has become a ludicrously overdone and contrived thing now, too...

I assume somebody has already mentioned people breaking up pins in elimination matches?

On 12/3/2018 at 10:41 AM, BomberPat said:

Big Show's being a viable finisher, yet him waiting ten minutes before even trying to hit this one magic knock-out blow he's capable of.

That's a can of worms with wrestling finishers. The spear, the superkick, loads of finishers are easier to hit than other moves in the wrestler's arsenal. It's easier to chokeslam or tombstone someone than it is to walk a tightrope while holding their wrist.

My big annoyance with wrestling, though, is rope breaks in No-DQ matches. And that time they changed the count-out rule in an Evan Bourne match.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:41 PM, BomberPat said:

An obviously faked punch "exposes the business" far more than any Canadian Destroyer or pop-up Falcon Arrow, and everyone either knows or has a pretty good idea of how it feels to be punched in the face, at least far more than how it feels to be Powerbombed or Canadian Destroyered, so seeing people shrug off countless punches as if they're nothing every match is already a bit naff before you get to the one or two instances where suddenly being punched is a big deal - whether that's Nia Jax's punch causing an injury, or Big Show's being a viable finisher, yet him waiting ten minutes before even trying to hit this one magic knock-out blow he's capable of.

Hmmm. But if you go down that road then wrestling's inherent silliness just becomes ever more apparent. Everyone also "knows" that if you grab someone's arm and tap them on the back they don't go running off into the nearest wall, as in the irish whip. As a kid who desperately wanted wrestling to be real, the punches never shattered my willing delusion that much; they weren't supposed to be closed-fisted, and I think I even invented a rule for myself that they were only allowed to strike to the head, rather than the face, or something. However, if you watch boxing or MMA then you do see guys getting smacked in the head multiple times and they're still standing; it just reinforces the desire on behalf of the mark to think that these are really, really tough guys you're watching and they can take punishment us mere mortals can't. Look at what Tyson Fury just did! Wrestling punches suddenly seem less far-fetched, despite the practitioners' seeming unwillingness to go for the chin. Now someone bring back the heart punch as a finisher!

Archived