It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Possibly. Although that's from the Chairman of the Democratic Coalition, who are basically an anti-Trump pressure group. It also hasn't been corroborated by any journalist of worth. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Possibly. Although that's from the Chairman of the Democratic Coalition, who are basically an anti-Trump pressure group. It also hasn't been corroborated by any journalist of worth. 

I'd hazard a guess that this is a deliberate move; in this era of fake news and "alternative facts", I wouldn't be surprised if US politics has moved into some sort of unsavouriness, where both sides are now using lies and obfuscation as a legitimate tactic, knowing that there will always be people out there who will believe what's said even after de-bunking, and especially as it seems nobody who "reports" these things is facing any consequences for it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I'd hazard a guess that this is a deliberate move; in this era of fake news and "alternative facts", I wouldn't be surprised if US politics has moved into some sort of unsavouriness, where both sides are now using lies and obfuscation as a legitimate tactic, knowing that there will always be people out there who will believe what's said even after de-bunking, and especially as it seems nobody who "reports" these things is facing any consequences for it.

I read an interesting academic article recently on part of that ( which is here if you want: https://web.stanford.edu/~gentzkow/research/fakenews.pdf) You're basically correct in that both sides now clearly harness it (not necessarily willingly) with Republicans being more susceptible to it (less able/willing to recognise what is real and what isn't). There was another piece (which I now can't find for the life of me), looking into the relevant size and dissemination of fake news during the Presidential election period, finding that there was a lot more pro-Trump than pro-Clinton fake news (I want to say it was something like 70/30, but don't quote me on that).

It's hardly contained on that side of the Atlantic in fairness, the utter shite of the type being pumped out by websites like Swarkbox and Breitbart UK is increasingly endemic. There will be a lot of academic research going on as we speak into how it influenced the General Election (if at all) and the manner in which it is compatible to what has happened in the States.

Edited by Gus Mears

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Seven months into Donald Trump's presidency and we've got a dead anti-fascist protestor. The pictures coming out of Virginia are fucking unreal. And the people on the right that are bending over backwards to defend this stuff are fucking disgusting. What's also disgusting was Trump's statement condemning violence on all sides. It's the same kind of thing that Corbyn does, and gets pelters from the right for. Not explicitly condemning a specific. No, he leave it to his press secretary to go out and say OF COURSE Trump meant white nationalists. Well, why didn't he say that,

He knows who put him where he is, and they're the only ones who'll try and keep him there, so the orange face with a yellow belly daren't risk upsetting them.

If there was ANY doubt lingering about the kind of values Farage and his UKIP mates stood for:

farage.png

He's backing up Trump regarding statues honouring racist Confederate losers.

• Paid Members

I was reading about some of Bannon's theories this morning. He seemed to be looking forward to a League of shadows style disaster/war to destroy everything and enable them to rebuild from there. An absolute nutter. Its truly frightening how well he did for a right wing blogger shithead. If Trump hadn't bungled the Charlottesville statement he'd still be there.

As Johnnyboy mentioned, one less fall guy to blame. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

• Paid Members

There's only "Fiddy" Pence left now. That said, I really, really hope he's next and doesn't hold on - he would genuinely be worse than Trump, partly because he actually believes the shit he's peddling, whereas Trump only seems to say horrendous shit from a twisted sense of pragmatism, to either get a reaction or to strengthen his relationship with his voter base. Pence is the utterly horrifying Real Deal, and I dread to think what kind of world we'll end up with where an utter cunt like him is running the most powerful nation on the planet.