It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

Yeah the Aussies have said that it was a productive call, whilst Trumps straight on twitter to bash them about it.

He also held a call with the Mexican President (I think he's held calls with several leaders recently), and advised that if they don't crack down on drug cartels he'll be sending troops to sort them out.

Yeah the Aussies have said that it was a productive call, whilst Trumps straight on twitter to bash them about it.

He also held a call with the Mexican President (I think he's held calls with several leaders recently), and advised that if they don't crack down on drug cartels he'll be sending troops to sort them out.

I read that too; there's a transcript of it in the ether apparently.  FOX News are the ones pushing that story to high heaven.  I'm yet to stumble across the transcript, & I've been Googling for about 90 mins ...

From The Independent:

Donald Trump has threatened to withdraw federal funds from the University of California at Berkeley after protesters caused a talk by the senior editor of Breitbart News to be cancelled.

Demonstrators hurled smoke bombs, started fires and smashed windows ahead of Milo Yiannopoulos' scheduled visit on Wednesday.

"If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS?" the President tweeted. It was unclear how the threat would be carried out.

It started as a peaceful protest, with a small minority kicking off and throwing stones etc.

Edit: He's also kicking off on Iran now as well

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-tweet-iran-on-notice-after-ballistic-missile-test-a7559001.html

Edited by Mr.E

• Moderators

Ok. Implementing a rule here. Can we not just make this thread a 'shit Trump has said and done' thread please?

If it's noteworthy, then it shouldn't be hard to add your thoughts and why you think it's relevant and try to actually make some discussion out of it.

Don't just post for the sake of it - we can assume that people on the forum know how to use search engines and news websites for themselves, thanks.

• Paid Members

. Am I wrong that I say the N-Word whilst singing along with Easy-E too? Or should I self censor myself?

That's a strange one honestly. i would expect to be in big trouble if you sang it around the office, despite it being a fact. There's no personal law but I'd probably say "ni" instead of the full word when singing along. I did hear this debated on radio once and a white guy said he replaces it with the word "ninja", which I thought was mega embarrassing so I'm not a total snowflake.

If Easy E was still around and I bumped into him would he appreciate a 30 year old white guy from the suburbs quoting the N-word at him. I'm not sure. wouldn't make me racist, but its a weird line.   

Queer is an acceptable word to use now too. It's been 'reclaimed'

The God of Gay proclaimed this from rainbow Mountain? i must have missed it.

Q on the end of LGBT is nowhere near as widespread as you seem to think it is. I'm sure some gay people use it/don't mind it. But saying its officially okay to use now is hilariously false. referring to a gay person as "Queer" in any part of the UK in 2017 would turn heads, and in the workplace you would be right to get bollocked.  

However being so eager to brand someone a bigot, racist, homophobe or whatever is where PC steps over the edge.

i didn't do that. Are you brandished with this a lot? Pulled aside at work a lot? Maybe you may be in the wrong sometimes?

You are the prime example of why idiots languish that term 'PC gone mad' and you are doing it a great diservice.

Because I think saying "Nigga" and "Queer" in the workplace is unprofessional? You're probably not a bigot, but sayings like "if they can say it, why cant we?" is a common bigot excuse. Your happiness at incorrectly telling your boss that we can all say "Queer" now was a bit weird too.   

Here's a better solution. There's no hard and fast rule, just don't be a dick, and be respectful of other people. Being a dick by being rude and disrespectful is bad, and being a dick by feigning offense and trying to cause a stink and make yourself feel big and important is also bad.

That's a better way of putting it. The bombs may drop soon anyway so we can ask Easy E to settle it when we're all in heaven.

• Paid Members

It's about knowing your audience, you need to consider that other people's experience of a word might be very different to your own. Just because there's no malicious intent behind your using of a word doesn't mean it's acceptable to use it whenever you want.

I worked for a High Street bank and during the World Cup, each team were assigned a competitor in the tournament and decorate their team area accordingly.  It was casual racism central and they couldn't see what was wrong with Mexico all wearing sombreros and fake moustaches, or Germany with towels securing pool side loungers.

I wished to fuck I got North Korea.

I worked for a High Street bank and during the World Cup, each team were assigned a competitor in the tournament and decorate their team area accordingly.  It was casual racism central and they couldn't see what was wrong with Mexico all wearing sombreros and fake moustaches, or Germany with towels securing pool side loungers.

I wished to fuck I got North Korea.

I hope to God no-one blacked up to represent Cameroon.

I think basically it's the cognitive dissonance of not wanting to accept that white males are in a position of privilege to begin with. If you take as your starting assumption that they aren't, then all of these measures to address the imbalance get interpreted as persecution.

That's why everyone involved in the movement is so small and petty. If you have an inferiority complex or you genuinely are a fuck up, then you don't want to accept that the deck was stacked in your favour in any way to begin with simply for being you.

Very well put, Chest. I was thinking about this the other day after laughing about that "Fleeing post-Brexit Britain" tweet I mentioned a while ago. As a white, English/British male, I'm disgusted that others would claim that they are in any way prejudiced, oppressed or held back against in any way.

I face no discrimination or pre-judgments in my day-to-day life. I can study for a degree, jump on plane to almost any country in the world, claim free health care, open a bank account, own a house, start or manage a business, and talk freely on the Internet, all protected by legal rights.

In most cases, a white British male who doesn't create a successful life for themselves has few legitimate excuses. I don't define success as being a multi-millionaire; I mean somebody who can create an accomplished and sustainable way of living. As you put, the deck is stacked heavily in our favour. I can't think of many, if any, others in the world who have such a strong hand.

White, British males who imagine they're being oppressed aren't oppressed by anybody or anything other than their own ill-conceived beliefs.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Q on the end of LGBT is nowhere near as widespread as you seem to think it is. I'm sure some gay people use it/don't mind it. But saying its officially okay to use now is hilariously false. referring to a gay person as "Queer" in any part of the UK in 2017 would turn heads, and in the workplace you would be right to get bollocked.

And there you go, point proved. You have no concept of context. Immediately you seem to have assumed I referred to a gay man as queer. I didn't.

Oh and regards the new Q, I've had to do an online course on it, and it also came up as study material in the last promotion process. Where I coincidentally scored resoundingly well on Dignity and Diversity.

i didn't do that. Are you brandished with this a lot? Pulled aside at work a lot? Maybe you may be in the wrong sometimes?

Don't cast aspersions, why assume that?

I've been called up twice, both times mentioned by the same person who is so far out of touch with PC terminology himself that he too has difficulty with context. He'd never even heard of Queer as a modern day term, he learned a wee bit more a month later when that online course appeared.

Because I think saying "Nigga" and "Queer" in the workplace is unprofessional?

You wouldn't allow someone to define their sexuality as Queer? Because you deem it unprofessional language? Get with the times matey, that's highly offensive and discriminatory.

You're probably not a bigot, but sayings like "if they can say it, why cant we?" is a common bigot excuse.

And I said that where? Don't misquote me, and I point you to the reference where you insinuated I'm a bigot and you're reply was I didn't do that. You just have, and all because you have no understanding of contextual use.

Your happiness at incorrectly telling your boss that we can all say "Queer" now was a bit weird too

Correctly told, and I like to educate, what can I say, and it wasn't "Queer" it was just straight out queer with no inverted commas.

Can't believe you've got such a disliking for the queer community. You filthy stinking bigot you.

• Paid Members

It is a general consensus now. It's even an academic term - there are now uni courses in "Queer Studies". It's not just been reclaimed, it's been converted to mean "non-conventional sexuality", as a general recognition of the concept that sexuality is fluid, and not categorisable in blocks.

EDIT: Actually, just remembered, it goes even further than sexuality. The term "queer" has come to mean "non-convention" with regard to almost everything that has any kind of established convention.

Edited by Carbomb

It is a general consensus now. It's even an academic term - there are now uni courses in "Queer Studies". It's not just been reclaimed, it's been converted to mean "non-conventional sexuality", as a general recognition of the concept that sexuality is fluid, and not categorisable in blocks.

EDIT: Actually, just remembered, it goes even further than sexuality. The term "queer" has come to mean "non-convention" with regard to almost everything that has any kind of established convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_studies

Appears it's legit.  Gay isn't equated to queer ... fair play. :)