It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

1. Then you're a shit boss with no clue.

2. Don't twist words. In this CONTEXT it isn't, unless Easy E was a racist cunt.

3. It's a horrible word, but again context, I suggest you don't read any law books like Blackstones, you'll melt. Not chuffed to say it either, but both I and a friend just answered a question. Am I wrong that I say the N-Word whilst singing along with Easy-E too? Or should I self censor myself?

Queer is an acceptable word to use now too. It's been 'reclaimed' and people identify themselves as queer ... the fucking homophobes!

4. And yes I do agree with Lee, the PC movement is a wonderful thing and long may it continue. If it's stops unnecessary abuse and the best thing is it educates. I truly believe UK society has progressed in leaps and bounds, especially from when I grew up the 80s.

However being so eager to brand someone a bigot, racist, homophobe or whatever is where PC steps over the edge. Brandishing and insinuating someone is a racist can be just as powerful and potentially more damaging than the use of that dreaded N-Word.

You are the prime example of why idiots languish that term 'PC gone mad' and you are doing it a great diservice.

If people get offended by the tamest of things, surely that's their problem? 

To pick up on this minor point:

There is a difference to being "PC" and being overly offended by stuff, which as you correctly point out that would be that persons problem. I personally don't use any non-Pc terms to describe anybody, (if fact I try not to say anything that overly suggests people are different at all, IE by naming a person by skin colour "that black dude over there" for example), but I don't get offended when others do, because I know each person has their own thought process on what is "correct" or not. 

As others may say of their own family, my grandfather is terrible for using non-PC terms to describe others, yet it is never done in a hurtful way, that's just his generation not knowing any better and he'll never change. But as we move forward in generations, this is changing, for the better.

It might be because I'm a white male who's never experienced any form of personal bigotry in his life but I find the term "N-Word" far more offensive than the use of nigga/nigger when used in an inoffensive context. Foe instance, if I had heard some one explain that it stood for Niggas With Attitude I wouldn't raise an eyebrow but if they had said N-Word With Attitude I'd have thought they were a tool.

I quite like Louis CK's bit on use of Nigga, Faggot etc but I think if the use of a word like Faggot is used in a negative context despite its context being nothing to do with homosexuality then you should steer clear where as if you're using something like Nigga in a positive context and you know your audience you can get away with it. He's far more funny than me though.

I find the common use of calling someone a "girl" in a negative context baffling though. It's nearly always parents and usually mums I notice saying it too.

• Moderators

We all have to have the courage of ones convictions, at the end of the day. If people get offended by the tamest of things, surely that's their problem? An individual's views should not be decried. You can be in a minority of one, but the truth will remain the truth, & someones opinions will always be true to that individual.

So which is it? It's their problem if they get offended by you, but their opinion is 'truth' and so should be respected? Sounds like you've got a bit of a paradox there.

Here's a better solution. There's no hard and fast rule, just don't be a dick, and be respectful of other people. Being a dick by being rude and disrespectful is bad, and being a dick by feigning offense and trying to cause a stink and make yourself feel big and important is also bad.

Opinions are not truths and those things shouldn't be conflated. Also, questioning the things you say and write is a good thing, and isn't censorship.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

On the 'don't be offended' thing, there was a vid plastered all over my Facebook of an Australian stand up with a whole schtick on it. People were lauding it up as brilliance, I couldn't disagree more with the overall sentiment more.

Edited by Teedy Kay

It was to do with an agreement made by Obama over refugees from Australian territories , which coincide with the travel ban (to my understanding). Trump called the agreement "dumb" and hung up on him.

The Australian PR office are denying that's the case.