It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

It's a very odd situation to be in & I'm not sure where it's come from?

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the transgender toilet thing. This overly PC stuff was coming to a boiling point for years - especially in the US with safe spaces & trigger warnings on college campuses - but for most people, that was too far and a lot of them just said "NO! FUCK. OFF!". And Trump didn't give a fuck about PC and they found it refreshing.

But how much of this truly impacts peoples day-to-day lives? If you're not on a college campus (the vast majority of people) then it doesn't affect you in the slightest. If someone on social media is bleating about how there should be a 'trigger warning' ahead of a TV show that's up to them but it doesn't impact my life one iota.

• Moderators

I think basically it's the cognitive dissonance of not wanting to accept that white males are in a position of privilege to begin with. If you take as your starting assumption that they aren't, then all of these measures to address the imbalance get interpreted as persecution.

That's why everyone involved in the movement is so small and petty. If you have an inferiority complex or you genuinely are a fuck up, then you don't want to accept that the deck was stacked in your favour in any way to begin with simply for being you.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Agreed, Chest - especially in the current climate, when a large chunk of the population is, for want of a better word, suffering because of the economic downturn and the resultant disadvantages thereof for individuals. The MRA/alt-right/PUA lot are acting up particularly now because they perceive that they're suffering but aren't being allowed to because other groups of people have it worse.

• Paid Members

It's a very odd situation to be in & I'm not sure where it's come from?

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the transgender toilet thing. This overly PC stuff was coming to a boiling point for years - especially in the US with safe spaces & trigger warnings on college campuses - but for most people, that was too far and a lot of them just said "NO! FUCK. OFF!". And Trump didn't give a fuck about PC and they found it refreshing.

But how much of this truly impacts peoples day-to-day lives?

It doesn't - but people were seeing it on the news and there was massive outrage over it in the US, especially in bible belt & hillbilly states. 

I'm not saying the transgender toilet issue had a massive impact on its own - but I think it was that step too far on top of a culmination of other things, that made a lot of people look at Trump as the anti-PC solution it.

Re: the toilet stuff, does it really make a difference?

In a previous place of employment, we had a transgender lady on the premises. She used the women's toilets, although some of the other women found this "odd" due to her formally being a man (and still showing this in stature/bodiliy shape). an email had to go out informing the staff, not to be worried and why.

In the grand scheme of things, if a person uses the women's toilets, they use a cubicle. If a person uses the men's, they either use the urinals (if they have sufficient equipment to do so, which men are then pre-programmed not to look at) or the stalls accordingly.....so surely it doesn't matter than much?

• Paid Members

The thing about bible belt and hillbilly states is that they would almost all have gone for Trump anyway — there was a lot of air spouted about the Dems having a shot in states like Arizona and Georgia, but that's all it was, based off of the extremely wonky polls.

The Dems took their eyes waaay off the ball regarding states they just assumed were always theirs — too much hatred of Clinton, Trump saying the right things for the blue collar workers, general anger at the status quo (or what they understand as the status quo).

• Paid Members

Re: the toilet stuff, does it really make a difference?

No, it doesn't make a difference to me - but it made a difference to religious homophobes who thought it was a PC step too far. They were picturing someone like Ru Paul perving at them over a cubicle wall, or molesting their kids. My perception could be wrong on the impact it had, but it just felt like conservatives were getting hit by a lot of things which (ironically) made them feel discriminated against (like being forced to bake cakes for gay weddings, or Kim Davis with the issuing of gay marriage licenses), and when the transgenders in bathrooms debate happened, they'd had enough. And there was Trump - the big fat bigot, standing there with his arms open & saying what they wanted to hear. They made a deal with the devil. I just pictured them saying "he'll put a stop to this overly-PC bullshit".

I don't know how much weight any of what I'm saying carried in swaying voters (we can never be sure), but I do feel it was a factor at some level. Don't we all get pissed off when PC goes too far? We all have different levels, but I was told a few years ago I can't say "disabled" - I should be saying "differently abled". Fuck off.

This video explains what I'm saying really well, even if I'm not explaining it properly. 

See at 01:02

https://twitter.com/ava/status/824349943775195136

Edited by herbie747

I agree with the crux of what Herbie is saying, but people who complain about political correctness tend to do so because their hateful views are stuck in the past. It ties in with the poor white man syndrome. A minority group getting the same rights as you doesn't mean you're being victimised.

Not a dig at you, Herb, but it's ironic calling someone a homophobe when you still use "Gay" to describe something you don't like.

• Paid Members

Bang on — my uncle has been going on about how "they've" crowded him out of the job market these past couple of decades. Nope, mate, it's because you're a lazy, difficult arsehole who wouldn't be able to cover it up through a whole interview, and you removed yourself from the job market because of a played-up leg injury, and then couldn't return to the type of work you did because they have you bang to rights on benefit fraud.