It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

I think it's in the South Park movie, when they ask Mr Garrison why Terrance and Philip shirts are banned and there is a big hullabaloo from the rest of the class. Right as the end there is a sole voice that says "That's gay". Still cracks me up.

• Paid Members

I might be on my own here but I don't think of people I know as being gay, I think of them as being homosexual. I have somehow managed to distance the word gay from anything involving willies and bums in my head to the point where I have to remind myself it's not that clear cut.

Edit: I should point out I don't think of them as homosexual to be honest, except for a couple of conversations when they let slip they thought I was. It wasn't difficult for me but they seemed quite embarrassed, although I have no idea why they should have been. And that one bloke who kept getting beaten up by his partner.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Yeah and people argue that the meaning has changed over the years, which it has. However, when it is still being used as a perjorative term for benders, that's why homo's have a problem with it.

Well that's it, if you strip out your jokes there, the meaning hasn't changed in the bigger picture, only my perception of it has inside my own head.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I got taken to one side at work for describing someone as queer. You can't say that word I was told, it's a derogatory term from the 70s I was told. His face when I told him it was perfectly PC and that LGBT now had a Q at the end of it.

He also bollocked me and and a colleague when we answered what does NWA stand for around the time Straight Outta Compton cane out.

• Paid Members

Context Mr Lowe ... context. People being uppity about the use of a word that can be deemed racist in the context of abuse, but used completely against that grain need to grow up. And the instant someone can so easily defend it's use you get thrown into the same catergory of Brexit wanting bigots. I'm with Stewart Lee on the whole PC gone mad thing, but you're quick summation that's not my stance does prove PC gone mad types have a wee bit of a point. Tiny.

NWA stands for Niggas With Attitude, that is fact, it's not racist, it's not offensive and it is certainly fine and dandy to say it is so, why be scared to say it?

Was it Foley who got marked down at school for QUOTING a swear word?

And yes I'm always saying fuck the police too, shit awful, underpaid, dross of a job that it is!

• Paid Members

Context Mr Lowe ... context.

I'm fully aware of the context. If I was walking round the office and I overheard someone who works for me saying "Great question Mary, it stands for Niggas with attitude." I don't think it would be unreasonable for me to chew them out.

NWA stands for Niggas With Attitude, that is fact, it's not racist, it's not offensive

A fact cant be offensive?

why be scared to say it?

I'm not scared to say it. I'd rather not because its a very unpleasant word, and using it in the workplace is mental! i wonder why you're so chuffed to say it? You sounded happy to say queer too. Bit strange...

I'm with Stewart Lee on the whole PC gone mad thing,

Err apparently not.

Political correctness, in my estimation, has made us all question the way we speak & write ... it's pervasive in the way it makes us self-censor.  Old folks, & some middle-aged people, can't get used to it & I think that there's a type of conditioning going on.

Who was it that said "political correctness is the ultimate tool to silence the weak-willed in society", or something like that?

We all have to have the courage of ones convictions, at the end of the day.  If people get offended by the tamest of things, surely that's their problem?  An individual's views should not be decried.  You can be in a minority of one, but the truth will remain the truth, & someones opinions will always be true to that individual.