It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Moderators

To get this thread vaguely back on topic:

Kellyanne Conway has come up with a complete fabrication about a ‘Bowling Green Massacre’ that was supposedly committed by two radicalised Iraqi refugees in order to justify the immigration ban. This 'Massacre' didn’t happen.

In more encouraging news, the New York Times hit a record 3 million subscribers yesterday.

Fucking hell, Otto. I've said it twice now. This thread is not a news feed. If you don't have an opinion to offer then don't post. Have a day off.

• Paid Members

It's a very odd situation to be in & I'm not sure where it's come from?

A friend of mine was in the Trafford Centre in Manchester, she came out of the cubicle to wash her hands, and beside her was a guy wearing a wig & fixing his lipstick in the mirror. Clearly a dude - but in a dress, wig, handbag, make-up, and a stuffed bra. That's a cross dresser - but what can you say or do? She did or said nothing, but it was certainly a bit weird.
And how was that clear in this split second interaction??

Is your mate able to diagnose whether somebody is 'proper' trans or a cross dresser on sight alone? May be a news flash but *whispers* some of us tranny folk look a bit like blokes

Firstly, don't get tetchy or offended. I meant no disrespect - it's just a story that happened. And I reckon even I could tell - Transgenders tend to make a lot more of an effort.

Secondly, due to the work she does (can't specify on here), she works with both all the time - so she knows the difference.

-they're living as a woman

Define that please. Genuinely curious - not being a smartarse here. I've discussed this with my friend numerous times.

Do they need to be "living as a woman" 100% of the time? And if not - then what percentage qualifies them?

And what "effort" (or elements) is/are required to qualify as transgender?

Hormone treatment? Make-up? Women's clothing? Breast implants? Or full surgery?

All of the above, none of the above, or just some? 

Just wondering exactly what allows people to use the female bathrooms. For example, can I just say I identify as a woman and walk in? Is that good enough, or do I need to wear a wig & a dress? And if not - then what effort is required?

Again - these are genuine questions. Excuse my ignorance on any of this, but I'm trying to find out more by asking questions and it's a very grey area. Thanks.

Edited by herbie747

^ Aye, that's basically it (re: Merzbow) . The big, burly and hairy are just as susceptible to gender dysphoria as anyone else. There isn't really a marker where being trans begins.

Transitioning is a long process and a right pain in the arse too despite the obvious rewarding feelings, many will start with basic things. Some are luckier than others and pass more naturally just through genetics, so some are bound to stand out more, even if their process is just as laborious as somebody who passes really well

Myself I don't go out to bars or clubs much these days as I don't fancy some random lass eyeing up whether I deserve to be there, when all I wanted was a bloody tiddle

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

What I figured was that if you're in a biologicaly male body but mentally a woman then you're a woman, in no way do you need to pass or make an "effort" to be transgender.

So basically, I can just walk into any women's toilets and if anyone says anything to me, I can say I identify as a woman. Not that I would - but if that's the case, what's to stop anyone doing that? And then, why have gender specific bathrooms at all?

In fact, that's not even a bad idea - you can have individual urinals for those who want to use them, and also a load of stalls. Anyone can use a stall in complete privacy anyway.

Edited by herbie747

Unisex lavs are now being installed in new-build secondary schools as a matter of course.  And in one school I know of, they're "open plan", meaning that the stalls are directly accessed from the "bathroom alcove" fully viewable to the corridor, & the passing footfall.  There are no urinals.

• Paid Members

If you think...

So basically, I can just walk into any women's toilets and if anyone says anything to me, I can say I identify as a woman. Not that I would - but if that's the case, what's to stop anyone doing that? And then, why have gender specific bathrooms at all?

... you might be a Republican.

That's the whole talking point about trans bathroom bans- that something that seems to happen so infrequently should still lead to a ban because the women and children. Coincidentally, the people saying this tend to be the same people that say trans people are deluded loonies, it's a very neat package.

Not saying you think that way, Herbie, I know you don't. Your friend might have been disconcerted to see a trans woman in the bogs, but she can rest assured that it's 99% certain that Trafford Tranzie was only there because she wanted to use the facilities.

• Paid Members

If you think...

So basically, I can just walk into any women's toilets and if anyone says anything to me, I can say I identify as a woman. Not that I would - but if that's the case, what's to stop anyone doing that? And then, why have gender specific bathrooms at all?

... you might be a Republican.

That's the whole talking point about trans bathroom bans- that something that seems to happen so infrequently should still lead to a ban because the women and children. Coincidentally, the people saying this tend to be the same people that say trans people are deluded loonies, it's a very neat package.

Not saying you think that way, Herbie, I know you don't. Your friend might have been disconcerted to see a trans woman in the bogs, but she can rest assured that it's 99% certain that Trafford Tranzie was only there because she wanted to use the facilities.

Firstly, I don't think like that - I asked it as a question; I didn't make a statement. I was asking what the cut-off is to be allowed usage. And I also followed it up with suggesting 1 bathroom for all:

"In fact, that's not even a bad idea - you can have individual urinals for those who want to use them, and also a load of stalls. Anyone can use a stall in complete privacy anyway."

And I'm very far from being a Republican.

Most places in the gay village have a neutral bathroom, but if I were a woman, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing LADS could use the same washroom.

What's the gay village?

Apologies.  An area of Manchester centred around Canal Street that is filled with "Gay bars"

EDIT - By gay, I don't mean rubbish or shit ;)

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Most places in the gay village have a neutral bathroom, but if I were a woman, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing LADS could use the same washroom.

What's the gay village?

Apologies.  An area of Manchester centred around Canal Street that is filled with "Gay bars"

EDIT - By gay, I don't mean rubbish or shit ;)

lol - it's a concentration of crap pubs with shite music.