The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, David said:

Fuck that, I'll get a good nights kip and just torrent the thing in the morning.

That's what I'll probably end up doing. I want to watch it live but if it's on ITV, then it won't matter what the price is; I have no interest in watching their coverage after how badly they handled the press conference.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah chalk me up as another who'll be disappointed if it goes to ITV. 

Whilst they aired the presser pretty much interrupted, they made no effort to disguise the fact that they think that this is all a bit of a joke. The punditry was largely spent talking up the Eubank fight.

Why even bother if your just going to shit all over it?  Baffling really.

I'm usually happy to pay for stuff off SKY Box Office. If I was watching this on my own though, I would probably do what David is doing, and streaming it the morning after. However, my mate - who is the most casual of casual fans - wants to watch it. We'll probably end up paying halves for it. 

• Paid Members

Not sure how many of you are from Ireland here, but when Floyd thought he was smart by repeatedly calling Conor an "eejit"; it's like calling someone a silly billy. I guess Floyd got misinformed & it fell flat: "Hey, how can I insult him using Irish lingo?"

Fr. Dougal used it all the time. Harmless.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Yeah chalk me up as another who'll be disappointed if it goes to ITV. 

Whilst they aired the presser pretty much interrupted, they made no effort to disguise the fact that they think that this is all a bit of a joke. The punditry was largely spent talking up the Eubank fight.

Why even bother if your just going to shit all over it?  Baffling really.

It was staggering the snootiness of it all. Like boxing isn't a bastion of tawdry behaviour and suspicious bouts.

My personal highlight was them bringing up Conor's potential cardio issues and saying it will be different in boxing, because the MMA lot spend all their time on the mat grappling - this was in relation to Conor McGregor's cardio. Incredible.

Someone should have got Dominick Cruz involved in this. 

That was my favourite bit, too. 'You don't need much cardio in a sport where you can grapple'.

On your arse boys.

Its been a few years since I trained, but I remember striking being a glorious escape from the lung burning torture of grappling.

Absolute nonsense from ITV, that.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

Not sure how many of you are from Ireland here, but when Floyd thought he was smart by repeatedly calling Conor an "eejit"; it's like calling someone a silly billy. I guess Floyd got misinformed & it fell flat: "Hey, how can I insult him using Irish lingo?"

Fr. Dougal used it all the time. Harmless.

Should've just called him a bollocks. I love that term.

It doesn’t say anything positive about ITV that they’d have people hosting coverage of the press conference who clearly do not have a single clue about MMA. Yes, it’s a boxing match, but you need to bring an MMA perspective because one of the people in that boxing match is an MMA fighter. At least Sky tried to cover that aspect of things by bringing in Michael Page. ITV didn’t even do that.

13 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

It was staggering the snootiness of it all. Like boxing isn't a bastion of tawdry behaviour and suspicious bouts.

A lot of boxing pundits, and some fans, have a remarkably lofty opinion of boxing. To them, because boxing is referred to as ‘the sweet science’ it confers a level of respectability and nobility to the sport. They completely downplay the fact that, when you get right down to it, the goal in boxing is to repeatedly punch someone in the head and the body to the point that they are so injured they cannot keep going. That doesn’t sound very respectful or noble. But give boxing a respectable sounding tag like ‘the sweet science’ and it suddenly becomes a sport of class and distinction. I bet most of them don’t even know where the term ‘the sweet science’ even came from.

• Paid Members

To be honest, I don't know where it came from either, but you are absolutely, 100% right.  Boxing snobbery is the fucking worst.

• Paid Members

I don't even know if ITV would seriously be in the running for the fight, they likely only picked up the press conference and promoted it to use it as a tool to sell their own PPV on Saturday.

• Paid Members

The Box Nation lot have digs about it every chance they get it seems. Unless it's just the bits I'm catching. Bunce is especially dismissive of it. You can tell they hate that what, in all likelihood, is going to be the biggest money making boxing match of all-time is going to have an MMA fighter making up 50% of it. 

It's definitely not bitterness because Box Nation won't be getting the rights to air the fight though. Oh no. Definitely not. 

On thing that seems to have really got the 'boxing purists' backs up, at least from what I've seen, has been Conor saying a boxing match is 'half a fight' or a 'limited fight'. They fucking hate that. But I don't see how it can be argued. That's not to take away from the huge amount of skill it takes to be a professional boxer at the top level at all. But it's a fact that it's a form of fighting that is limited to one aspect of striking. That is a fact. You put a pro boxer and a Muay Thai fighter in a ring and tell them they can do whatever they want in a pure striking match. The boxer is most likely getting leg kicked or Thai clinched and kneed into oblivion. There's so much more to striking than just punching. But the boxing fans I've spoken to won't have it. 

Its weird because the boxing lot are almost certainly going to get the last laugh here anyway when McGregor loses in a ball-achingly lopsided fashion. But they still have to argue that Mayweather, or any boxer, would definitely win in any form of fighting. 

Archived