The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Exactly what I'm saying Dave. If anything, Mayweather fans (urgh) should be grateful that McGregor has come along and got Floyd to stop hitting women long enough to come out of retirement for one more fight. It's just a bonus. I don't for one second think Floyd was ever coming back for anything risky or relevant. And really, as much as I hate him, why should he? He's got nothing left to prove. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Floyd would have been back for 50 - 0. Against a real threat I doubt it. Smaller payday, maybe sold as Floyd's "really final fight, he is retiring this time, honest, last chance to see TBE".  There was rumblings of Floyd vs Pac 2...sigh. I'm glad Horn probaby fucked up that. To get $100 milion for this, I shake my head but its clever. 

2 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think Floyd would have been back for 50 - 0. Against a real threat I doubt it. Smaller payday, maybe sold as Floyd's "really final fight, he is retiring this time, honest, last chance to see TBE".  Their were rumblings of Floyd vs Pac 2...sigh. I'm glad Horn probaby fucked up that. To get $100 milion for this, I shake my head but its clever. 

Honestly mate, there is no "real threat" out there for him. Thurman? Spence? Come on now, if anyone thinks those fights end in anything other than a lopsided decision win for Mayweather they're deluded.

If anything, at least McGregor will actually have a go at him. It'll be exciting for as long as it lasts, and will probably be more exciting than any of his more recent "real" fights.

3 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

How about GGG ? Enough of a threat ?

Personally I'd be way more interested in Spence vs Mayweather than this tbh. 

Realistically speaking, Mayweather is a 147lbs fighter. he looks small at 154lbs, and would be even smaller against a guy who's a natural 160lbs fighter. 

A fight between Mayweather and Spence would draw similar numbers to Mayweather vs Berto. In other words, not worth a fuck for Mayweather.

Just now, David said:

Realistically speaking, Mayweather is a 147lbs fighter. he looks small at 154lbs, and would be even smaller against a guy who's a natural 160lbs fighter. 

A fight between Mayweather and Spence would draw similar numbers to Mayweather vs Berto. In other words, not worth a fuck for Mayweather.

BS it would do better than Berto and you know that if you have any sense. Unbeaten young American world champion, who is knocking everyone out. He is an easy sell. His fight against Bundu was watched by 6 million on NBC the highest TV audience in 10 years for boxing in the US. Berto was 3-3 going into the Floyd fight. No one gave him a chance. People would give Spence a chance and it could be a star making fight for him. He is incredibly dangerous which is why neither Floyd or Pac wants anything to with him.  I think anyone who thinks he or Thurman are no threats are nuts.

• Paid Members

Mayweather was never going to fight Golovkin. The fact that GGG is both bigger and at the top of his game, why risk it? 

It's not like Floyd said 'I'm coming back to either fight Golovkin or McGregor'. And then chose McGregor. The Golovkin fight was never a thing anyway. 

At the end of it all, after all the bellyaching, everyone is going to watch this. Everyone. Fuck, even my wife's mum was asking me about it just last night. Proper grilling me she was. She's a woman in her mid 50s who works in a bank. She's hooked just from seeing a clip of McGregor telling Mayweather to take his high heels off on Sky Sports News or wherever she saw it. She's not going to pay for it, of course. She's asked me to 'tape' the fight for her. That's how far out of the loop she is. She's talking VHS. And even she wants to see what happens. I haven't got the heart to tell her Conor's got sod all chance of actually winning the thing. 

My mum hates it all though. She's had 2 MMA mad sons and a daughter who kickboxed. She hates fighting. She saw a bit of one of the pressers that my brother had on and she said it was "too nasty and mean" for her. Bless her. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think Floyd would have been back for 50 - 0. Against a real threat I doubt it. Smaller payday, maybe sold as Floyd's "really final fight, he is retiring this time, honest, last chance to see TBE".  There was rumblings of Floyd vs Pac 2...sigh. I'm glad Horn probaby fucked up that. To get $100 milion for this, I shake my head but its clever. 

it's very clever, and it's unlikely that anything like this will ever happen again (or if it will, it'll be a long time down the line). I was sceptical about it even happening at first but as it drew closer you just realised that for the money being waved around there was no way this couldn't happen. Floyd has got himself $100 million for arguably one of the easiest fights he's had a pro, and McGregor is getting $100 million for taking a fight he has zero chance of winning. Both guys are winners in my book.

Would have preferred to see Mayweather return and fight a Thurman or Spence? part of me does, but an even bigger part knows this is a chance too good to pass up, you just have to go on the ride. If you don't agree with it or like it, don't worry, 2 weeks later GGG/Canelo is boxing on PPV for you (which will also be tremendous).

7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

At the end of it all, after all the bellyaching, everyone is going to watch this. Everyone.

Wand everyone of us would watch a Trump vs Putin boxing PPV.

That would be an "event" and sell millions of PPV's. Everyone in the world would be talking about it. It could make boxing look very stupid though. I think people have a right to question if Mayweather vs McGregor is good for the sport of boxing. It could be a real black eye.

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

it's very clever, and it's unlikely that anything like this will ever happen again (or if it will, it'll be a long time down the line). I was sceptical about it even happening at first but as it drew closer you just realised that for the money being waved around there was no way this couldn't happen. Floyd has got himself $100 million for arguably one of the easiest fights he's had a pro, and McGregor is getting $100 million for taking a fight he has zero chance of winning. Both guys are winners in my book.

Would have preferred to see Mayweather return and fight a Thurman or Spence? part of me does, but an even bigger part knows this is a chance too good to pass up, you just have to go on the ride. If you don't agree with it or like it, don't worry, 2 weeks later GGG/Canelo is boxing on PPV for you (which will also be tremendous).

Yes GGG vs Canelo is a really great fight I was not sure would happen which will. I've just had enough of Mayweather. I won't begrudge McGregor he deserves a crazy payday for all the PPV's he sold for the UFC. Fuck Mayweather though.

• Paid Members

@Cousin Jim Bob I'd fucking love to see Trump vs Putin. No lie. 

Fuck what's good for the sport. It's not our job to worry about that. There's been loads of things that were supposedly going to be bad for the UFC and they've gone from strength to strength. 

I get what you're saying but nobody is going to stop watching boxing because Mayweather vs McGregor happened. Like Ebb says, the people who are dead against this will have the sour taste washed out of their mouths a few weeks later by GGG vs Canelo. It's not going to damage boxing or MMA. It's just going to make the two fighters and everyone involved richer and get people talking about both sports for a bit.

The worst you're going to get is people moaning after that the fight was shit and that 'Boxing is dead'. Same shite they said after Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Boxing is still alive and well. Same thing they said after the bad stoppage in Froch vs Groves 1, only for the rematch to be a massive success. Same thing they said in the buildup to Lewis vs Tyson. Or when the UFC signed Brock Lesnar. Fight fans seem to have short memories and an unfounded doom and gloom attitude a lot of the time. Everything's going to be just fine. 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

a black eye in what way though? people are tuning in and people are making a lot of money. Even if the fight tanks in terms of quality what changes going forward?

The fall out from Mayweather/Pac was ugly. That made huge money too. Boxing as a whole took a hit. The amount of "never buying a boxing PPV again" posted on social media was brutal.

Floyd is most likely done after this too so he won't care.

• Paid Members

boxing recovers quickly, the only thing that harmed was the ppv value of Mayweather and Pacquiao. Canelo has since done big numbers on PPV and PPV over here is through the roof...plus Mayweather has suckered them right back in because he's chosen the right opponent. Boxing will always have peaks and valleys but if give the public what they want to watch they'll fork out for it.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

The fall out from Mayweather/Pac was ugly. That made huge money too. Boxing as a whole took a hit. The amount of "never buying a boxing PPV again" posted on social media was brutal.

And I'd be fairly confident that not one of those saying that actually stuck to it. So it means nothing. Shit, I bet all the people saying 'that's me done, never buying a boxing PPV again' are going to order Floyd vs Conor. If for no other reason than so they can jump on twitter and whinge when it's a shit shutout decision for Mayweather. 

Archived