The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, seanz25 said:

No - As I stated, I think they might get caught up in the hype when it comes to the fight week, whether they like it or not. It'll be hard to escape, it's going to be everywhere, whilst these people may be spouting vocally against it to friends and family, deep down they might be slightly captivated and may convince themselves to buy the thing based on it being a 'package' featuring some decent boxers on the undercard, when really they do actually just wanna see the Conor/Floyd fight.

The hardcore boxing fans calling it a joke will need more than "Jack vs Clev for the crap WBA title". I can see where your coming from that a decent undercard will help with some boxing fans but that's more the people on the fence about the whole thing. Like myself tbh. Theres a bunch who won't buy this for love nor money though. It would need something amazing to tempt them.

Floyd himself has burned out a bunch of the hardcore US boxing PPV buying fanbase as well. Imagine spending $50 on the Berto or Ortiz fights, let alone $100 on the Pac fight. I can see why a bunch of US boxing fans ain't buying into this who have been burned by Floyd before. Alot will be saving their cash for GGG vs Canelo.

The problem as I see it, is that a lot of boxing fans are looking at this as though Mayweather isn't a retired 40 year old fighter, but is still the champion.

They have to realise that this is an exhibition fight. It's a special attraction, and is probably the best answer we'll ever get to the question of what would happen if a top ranked UFC fighter stepped into a boxing ring against one of the great boxers.

This is a cross-sport version of Ali vs Tyson, it's a real-life version of that mental "computer" fight between Ali and Marciano.

I assumed that most fans would, like I am, be looking forward to this fight more to see exactly how the two styles mesh and how Floyd approaches a boxing match against someone who's stance, style and approach isn't that of a high-level boxer?

Seriously, who gives a fuck who wins? Just enjoy the show and put aside all the shite about records, legacies, titles and suchlike. It's gonna be fun.

4 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

You've changed, David. What's with all the McGregor love & rational points in this thread?

Fear not, i'll be back to my loveable anti-McG self when he's fighting Khabib in Putin's back yard. In fairness, he's always gonna have the support of every MMA fan in this instance, especially when he's facing such an arsehole in Mayweather.

No person in their right mind would want a woman-beating scumbag to win this, would they?

6 minutes ago, David said:

No person in their right mind would want a woman-beating scumbag to win this, would they?

That's part of my point. Loads of hardcore boxing fans hate Mayweather and pay to hopefully see him lose. Thats a big part of why Floyd is so rich.

If he is boxing again those fans want to see him fight Thurman, Crawford or Spence. This is like the Berto fight to them but worse they are giving Conor 0% chance of winning this. 

I'm still on the fence with this fight. The hype is enjoyable and the pressers for good and bad reasons had the whole sports world talking. The night itself should be electric. It's when I stop and think what's this going to be like when the bell rings. That's when I get worried.

Just now, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If he is boxing again those fans want to see him fight Thurman, Crawford or Spence. This is like the Berto fight to them but worse they are giving Conor 0% chance of winning this. 

That's what I've been trying to say though, he isn't boxing again. He's no more boxing again in a true sense than Creed was when he came back to face Drago. This is an exhibition fight, most likely complete with the two cardboard cutouts facing each other with fists raised outside the Vegas venue.

8 minutes ago, David said:

That's what I've been trying to say though, he isn't boxing again. He's no more boxing again in a true sense than Creed was when he came back to face Drago. This is an exhibition fight, most likely complete with the two cardboard cutouts facing each other with fists raised outside the Vegas venue.

That they are asking them $90 to watch (10 more if you want HD). Surely you can see why people are baulking for what your calling an exhibition and they give one guy 0% chance of winning. 

2 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

That they are asking them $90 to watch (10 more if you want HD). Surely you can see why people are baulking for what your calling an exhibition.

Not at all, because what you're essentially paying for is entertainment, and the chance to see what is possibly a once in a lifetime event. 

When will you ever likely see an actual belt-holding UFC fighter step into a boxing ring to face possibly the greatest boxer of all time? This isn't a boxing match, it's an event. And the sooner the so-called hardcore boxing fans click onto this the better.

But, like I said, if they don't? It won't really matter, because this event has caught the imagination of the public at large, and as much as it will anger them, it pisses all over Golovkin vs Canelo. No one is talking about that fight, which is a shame, but that's how it is.

I know this is an "event" not a fight. I'm just pointing out the reasons why alot of hardcore boxing fans ain't buying this and that's one of them. 

Another big one is "this fight could be god awful and not entertaining" which is a big concern if you've seen enough Floyd. He won't care, he never does. Just saying "shut up and enjoy the circus" when your paying $100 would be for me a worry.

I'm sure it will do amazing on PPV whatever I think though. Like I'm sure people will snap up those $80'000 ringside seats. For me I'm still debating if it's worth 30 quid and the late night.

4 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I know this is an "event" not a fight. I'm just pointing out the reasons why alot of hardcore boxing fans ain't buying this and that's one of them. 

Another big one is "this fight could be god awful and not entertaining" which is a big concern if you've seen enough Floyd. He won't care, he never does. Just saying "shut up and enjoy the circus" when your paying $100 would be for me a worry.

I'm sure it will do amazing on PPV whatever I think though. Like I'm sure people will snap up those $80'000 ringside seats. For me I'm still debating if it's worth 30 quid and the late night.

Again, the hardcore boxing fans don't really matter here. They make up what is a tiny percentage of the people who actually buy shows anyway, in my opinion.

This fight is being bought by fans who are organising an event around it, like my cousin in Canada who's getting all of his buddies over, having a BBQ and watching it on his big screen. You got to think that scenario will be played out all over the US and Canada, and even in Europe.

It's clear by the reaction from these so-called purists that the fact that they are irrelevant in this situation is irking them no end. It's probably gonna irk them even more that as things stand the 2nd biggest draw in professional boxing today is a guy who's 0-0 and has never laced up a pair of gloves professionally.

I'm just trying to point out most of the points I've seen online on forums and twitter from hardcore boxings fans. They are not irked hoping "Mayweather must win for the sake of boxing" or " that MMA guy is coming to boxing and getting a huge buyrate". A few morons maybe. Most just think this is a total mismatch and will be a crap fight because that's what Mayweather does. Which tbh alot of MMA fans here included have expressed the same concerns.  

This will be huge though whatever as you say people will make an event of it. Like Floyd vs Pac. I just hope the fight and the fall out is better than that.

• Paid Members

In the end though, most of Mayweather's fights against actual boxers are mismatches anyway. Fuck, he made Canelo look like a mismatch. I know that's different because it wasn't seen as a mismatch going in, but still. At least this is a mismatch with a great buildup, a big event feel and genuine fan investment in who they want to see win. Certainly beats the Berto fight that was both a mismatch and promotionally dead on arrival with no interest or hook whatsoever to it. 

It's nice to think Floyd might've fought a Thurman or Spence or someone like that if not McGregor but I don't think those fights were happening regardless. Floyd's no dummy. He's not going to come out of retirement and risk that 0 on a fight like that. I think he'd have just stayed retired if that was all that was on the table. So if any fans are acting like McGregor has stole a 'real fight' away from them, I really don't think he has. The only reason Mayweather is training right now and breaking a sweat right now is because McGregor came along and he's the biggest payday with the least risk to get him that 50th win. Do people really think that if this McGregor thing didn't crop up we'd be gearing up for Mayweather vs Thurman now? I mean, it's not impossible but I highly doubt it. 

Archived