The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

I hope so. I can see what you two are saying boxing is a tough old sport that can take its licks and rebound. I can see why some hardcore fans are worried about this though.

The US needs Canelo/GGG to be a classic like Joshua/Wlad. The latter turned a bunch of people I know back to liking boxing. Mayweather for all his skill has a habit of turning people off the sport. If this turns into 12 rounds of Conor lunging in hitting thin air and gloves whilst Floyd wins landing 3 punches a round....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

BS it would do better than Berto and you know that if you have any sense. Unbeaten young American world champion, who is knocking everyone out. He is an easy sell. His fight against Bundu was watched by 6 million on NBC the highest TV audience in 10 years for boxing in the US. Berto was 3-3 going into the Floyd fight. No one gave him a chance. People would give Spence a chance and it could be a star making fight for him. He is incredibly dangerous which is why neither Floyd or Pac wants anything to with him.  I think anyone who thinks he or Thurman are no threats are nuts.

There's a difference between people tuning into NBC for a fight and actually paying $60 or more for it though. Would that many more people pay to see Mayweather vs Spence than paid to see Mayweather take on Berto? I don't think so, as the main draw on both occasions would be Mayweather. There isn't going to be shitloads of people clamouring to see Errol Spence.

And let's be serious here, the reason that the likes of Floyd or Manny don't want a part of him is because there's fuck all money in it. You're a boxing fan, you know the score. It has fuck all to do with being afraid of him or thinking he's dangerous, and it's all about getting paid.

If someone offers to pay Manny the money he wants he'd fight Spence, no problem. 

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think people have a right to question if Mayweather vs McGregor is good for the sport of boxing. It could be a real black eye.

Are you fucking kidding? 

You're talking about a sport that's saw a man literally chew another fighters fucking ear off in the middle of the ring! A sport where people have been beaten into comas and even to death! It's accommodated murderers, rapists, kidnappers, drug dealers and domestic violence offenders among others!

And you think that an exhibition bout between a retired former champion and an MMA fighter is going to give boxing a black eye?!?

43 minutes ago, David said:

There's a difference between people tuning into NBC for a fight and actually paying $60 or more for it though. Would that many more people pay to see Mayweather vs Spence than paid to see Mayweather take on Berto? I don't think so, as the main draw on both occasions would be Mayweather. There isn't going to be shitloads of people clamouring to see Errol Spence.

And let's be serious here, the reason that the likes of Floyd or Manny don't want a part of him is because there's fuck all money in it. You're a boxing fan, you know the score. It has fuck all to do with being afraid of him or thinking he's dangerous, and it's all about getting paid.

If someone offers to pay Manny the money he wants he'd fight Spence, no problem. 

Are you fucking kidding? 

You're talking about a sport that's saw a man literally chew another fighters fucking ear off in the middle of the ring! A sport where people have been beaten into comas and even to death! It's accommodated murderers, rapists, kidnappers, drug dealers and domestic violence offenders among others!

And you think that an exhibition bout between a retired former champion and an MMA fighter is going to give boxing a black eye?!?

A black eye to the people who buy it. I can see the "boxing is dead" brigade out after the fight. 

You are WAY off comparing a Spence PPV to the Berto one. Yes he is not a draw yet but he is seen by fans as a potential big star not a wash out like Berto. He is signed to Showtime like Floyd who would push him huge. They would see him as possibly their new mega star with Floyd retiring. A changing of the guard fight. So of course Floyd won't fight him, he is a young, fast as hell, hard hitting fighter who throws volume. He is a huge threat to a 40 year old Floyd.

11 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

A black eye to the people who buy it. I can see the "boxing is dead" brigade out after the fight. 

You are WAY off comparing a Spence PPV to the Berto one. Yes he is not a draw yet but he is seen by fans as a potential big star not a wash out like Berto. He is signed to Showtime like Floyd who would push him huge. They would see him as possibly their new mega star with Floyd retiring. A changing of the guard fight. So of course Floyd won't fight him, he is a young, fast as hell, hard hitting fighter who throws volume. He is a huge threat to a 41 year old Floyd.

You said a black eye for the sport of boxing, which won't be the case. It's insane to think otherwise. If anything this will be good for boxing.

I don't think a Spence fight does all that well personally, but you never know I guess.

And the reason Floyd won't fight Spence is because he's retired. Again, this fight with Conor isn't Floyd "coming back" to boxing, it's him taking part in a fun, lucrative exhibition bout that will draw a lot of fans.

I think Floyd would be probably going on one of his sabbaticals if he was in his prime right now and Showtime were pushing him to fight Spence and Arum wouldn't let Pac anywhere near him. He hasn't let him fight a banger since JMM flattened him. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on if this is good for boxing. I know I am being all doom and gloom expecting the worst because... Mayweather. Maybe Conor can make a fight of it and shake him up though. I am setting my expectations low, so some early round tear ups could be fun.

7 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think Floyd would be probably going on one of his sabbaticals if he was in his prime right now and Showtime were pushing him to fight Spence and Arum wouldn't let Pac anywhere near him. He hasn't let him fight a banger since JMM flattened him. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on if this is good for boxing. I know I am being all doom and gloom expecting the worst because... Mayweather. Maybe Conor can make a fight of it and shake him up though. I am setting my expectations low, so some early round tear ups could be fun.

I never really followed Mayweather in his younger days. Did he have a habit of ducking guys and fucking off when top contenders were making waves? I always thought he'd basically faced all the top guys?

Yeah, it's not gonna be bad for boxing. Like I said, you're talking about a sport where there have been people killed, there's been ears bitten off, we've seen murderers, rapists, all manner of scumbags involved.

This fight isn't going to do any damage whatsoever. Both guys are gonna make a lot of money, it's gonna be a fun, interesting exhibition fight for as long as it lasts, then in a years time Floyd will be retired and doing his promoting gig, and Conor will either be fighting MMA again or he'll have taken a well-earned early retirement as well.

Regarding Floyd well theres young Sugar Shane and Cotto, Fretis, Cassamayor, Kostya Tszyu, Margarito, Paul Williams...Tbh some of them probably avoided him though, I think Shane did. He did kind of go up the weight classes often not fighting the main guys or waiting till they looked past there best like Pac. I think he cherry picked a fair bit even in his younger days.

I worry about Floyd the promoter. He spends most of the time at press conferences for Badou Jack or Gervonta Davis just talking about himself.

• Paid Members

Brendan Schaub is such a div. Of all the MMA guys to have as a pundit for all this stuff, we get that twat. 

I listened to a bit of him and Luke Thomas talking about the press tour and the fight. Schaub keeps saying that people who say Conor has no chance are just "following the narrative" they've heard etc etc. He likes the word 'narrative' at the moment. And he keeps acting like if you say Conor's not going to win, you're just hating on the fight. It's all such shite. What I've come to expect from him. The fact is, those saying Floyd is likely going to school McGregor are just being real about it. It's not hating or following a narrative. It's being realistic. It's crap and I wish it wasn't the case but as Run DMC said, that's the way it is. 

He also keeps banging on about Conor's left hand as if Mayweather's never seen a straight left before. It's fucking cringeworthy and he's just coming off as a total delusional fanboy looking for little glimmers of hope. 

I'm not saying I'd give McGregor ZERO chance of winning. There's never a zero chance when two people fight. And there are certain things that go in Conor's favour - age, size, maybe being a bit more unorthodox movement-wise than Mayweather is used to. But you've got to be realistic about it. For example, I don't think you'll meet a bigger McGregor fan than our own Herbie and he is realistic about it. Most of us are huge McGregor fans but what you want to happen and what you believe is most likely to happen don't always neatly match up. Sadly. 

But yeah, Schaub is just the worst. He said he'll be doing a lot of TV work for this on fight week as well so that'll be a treat. He's going to make a right prat of himself. 

And another thing I hate about it. If now by some lightning bolt of luck we do get what we want and Conor somehow wins...then we'll forever have to put up with Schaub gloating that he called it all along and nobody listened. Granted, it'd be a small price to pay in exchange for McGregor beating Mayweather. I'd get over it. But I'd hate Schaub having those bragging rights. He'd be unbearable with it and I'd have to avoid anything featuring him forever. 

23 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Brendan Schaub is such a div. Of all the MMA guys to have as a pundit for all this stuff, we get that twat. 

I listened to a bit of him and Luke Thomas talking about the press tour and the fight. Schaub keeps saying that people who say Conor has no chance are just "following the narrative" they've heard etc etc. He likes the word 'narrative' at the moment. And he keeps acting like if you say Conor's not going to win, you're just hating on the fight. It's all such shite. What I've come to expect from him. The fact is, those saying Floyd is likely going to school McGregor are just being real about it. It's not hating or following a narrative. It's being realistic. It's crap and I wish it wasn't the case but as Run DMC said, that's the way it is. 

He also keeps banging on about Conor's left hand as if Mayweather's never seen a straight left before. It's fucking cringeworthy and he's just coming off as a total delusional fanboy looking for little glimmers of hope. 

I'm not saying I'd give McGregor ZERO chance of winning. There's never a zero chance when two people fight. And there are certain things that go in Conor's favour - age, size, maybe being a bit more unorthodox movement-wise than Mayweather is used to. But you've got to be realistic about it. For example, I don't think you'll meet a bigger McGregor fan than our own Herbie and he is realistic about it. Most of us are huge McGregor fans but what you want to happen and what you believe is most likely to happen don't always neatly match up. Sadly. 

But yeah, Schaub is just the worst. He said he'll be doing a lot of TV work for this on fight week as well so that'll be a treat. He's going to make a right prat of himself. 

And another thing I hate about it. If now by some lightning bolt of luck we do get what we want and Conor somehow wins...then we'll forever have to put up with Schaub gloating that he called it all along and nobody listened. Granted, it'd be a small price to pay in exchange for McGregor beating Mayweather. I'd get over it. But I'd hate Schaub having those bragging rights. He'd be unbearable with it and I'd have to avoid anything featuring him forever. 

Do you not think that he's just trying to come across as the "MMA guy" in all of these discussions though? For some reason he's been chosen as the guy by the TV execs, and he's clearly pushing the agenda that he thinks he's supposed to.

Wonder why he's been chosen? Why not a Frank Shamrock? A Randy Couture? Christ, even a Frank Mir?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, David said:

Do you not think that he's just trying to come across as the "MMA guy" in all of these discussions though? For some reason he's been chosen as the guy by the TV execs, and he's clearly pushing the agenda that he thinks he's supposed to.

Nah, I don't think he's that smart and he's basically saying what he's always been saying about it on his own and Rogan's podcast. He hasn't changed anything to tailor it to push an agenda or whatever. He seems to think he knows best. And besides, the discussion I was specifically referring to in this case was with Luke Thomas. He had no reason to try to play the 'MMA guy' role there. 

I honestly don't know why Showtime have chosen him. Maybe just because he's young and opinionated. Maybe because he's tatted up and thick and that's what they want to portray all MMA fighters as. Maybe it's because they watched some YouTube clips of him and Callen chatting a load of shit and they knew this 'MMA guy' would embarrass himself. Maybe he sucked off Weasel Espinoza for the position. Who knows? He's crap though. Dominick Cruz, Ariel Helwani or Luke Thomas should've been doing the job he'll be doing. And that's just 3 better alternatives off the top of my head. There's got to be a good 30 more easy. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, David said:

Why not a Frank Shamrock? A Randy Couture? Christ, even a Frank Mir?

Dana would have vetoed all of them.

I know he's the MMA guy - which is why it annoys me more - because he's a moron and he's representing MMA to the world. Would prefer Rashad or Cruz.

Archived