Incredibly obscure cartoons

WWFChilli

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I had the intro of The Bluffers stuck in my head for years, without having any memory of what the actual show was about.

A similar thing happened to me believe it or not, never forgot the theme, no one remembered the show and it was years until I could look it up on the internet. Thanks for posting something actually obscure too, as much as I love most old cartoons I'd consider Ulysses 31, Dogtanian and Denver the last Dinosaur pretty much classics, definitely not 'incredibly obscure'.

• Paid Members

I remember seeing a couple of episodes of a cartoon called Rocket Robin Hood when I was a nipper. It was on in the school holidays, usually between Silas Marner and Heidi.

Anyway Robin Hood in space was some strange shit. I only remember seeing the same 2-3 episodes, Wikipedia tells me there were 3 series and 54 episodes. The BBC obviously we're not paying for all of them.

Samurai Pizza Cats. Nobody (apart from Surf) seems to remember this show but it was ace, properly mental stuff. None of the episodes made any sense as I believe there was no English translation for any of the scripts when it came over so they just re-scripted everything based roughly on what was going on in the visuals.

I also fondly remember Potsworth and Company and The Dreamstone but no bugger seems to have heard of those either.

Edit: Just looked on Wikipedia for some more info about Potsworth and Company. Turns out more folk might know about it than I thought-  "It was watched by 8.5 million in the US while 5.1 million watched the series on CBBC in Britain, making it the "second most popular children's show on British television after Neighbours".[1]"

• Paid Members

I remember The Dreamstone being a massive hype for about a couple of weeks, and although it ran for a few years, I think I gave up on it quickly because it was shite.

Not a cartoon, but another show I only saw through a haze of waking up at 4am on a Saturday in 1986 was Quaq Quao — I was sure that no-one else had ever seen it, but in the mid 2000s I always used to run into this dull Aussie bird at the same events, and the only thing we "bonded" over was that we'd both seen Quaq Quao. I swear she opened at least two conversations with "seen any more Quaq Quao?".

Archived