Incredibly obscure cartoons

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

I remember getting up mega early in the early to mid 90's (when I was at secondary school)to go to my job on the market.

At the time, Channel 4 used to show some seriously random cartoons at 4.30 to 5.30 am! Things like a Wizard Of Of Oz cartoon, Star Street(where all the characters were signs of the zodiac) and the previously mentioned Ulisees.

Also, at one point they showed the entire series of "How My Body Works" that I absolutely loved. Basically it was inside the body, with a;; the parts of the body were replaced with characters. For example, the brain impulses were represented by little marathon runners, and the blood cells were people carrying little balls of oxygen around...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Also, at one point they showed the entire series of "How My Body Works" that I absolutely loved. Basically it was inside the body, with a;; the parts of the body were replaced with characters. For example, the brain impulses were represented by little marathon runners, and the blood cells were people carrying little balls of oxygen around...

Sounds like 'The Organ Gang'

hqdefault.jpg

• Paid Members

Sounds like 'The Organ Gang'

hqdefault.jpg

Ive just looked into it, and it was called "Once Upon A Time, Life"...

• Paid Members

I posted the intro for Once Upon a Time... Life a couple of pages back. It's a weird French thing, where they were still making related series in 2008.

It wasnt a bad idea in theory, but it was just proper strange to watch...

Samurai Pizza Cats. Nobody (apart from Surf) seems to remember this show but it was ace, properly mental stuff. None of the episodes made any sense as I believe there was no English translation for any of the scripts when it came over so they just re-scripted everything based roughly on what was going on in the visuals.

Add me to the list of Samurai Pizza Cats fans, I remember this being on Sky (Fox Kids, was it?) and loved it back in the day. Pizza shop owners by day.......samurais that got fired out of their gun shaped pizzeria by night, or something hah.

• Paid Members

Once Upon a Time... Space was actually pretty great, even to the point of having some of the episodes turned into a film. Was a lot more narrative and less fake-educational, which probably explains a lot.

I think I can remember that, and seem to think I quite enjoyed it at the time...

The sheer amount of different cartoons and kids programmes that knocked about during 80's and early to mid 90's is amazing, especially considering that limited amount of time that kids programming was given on the 4(later 5) channels that were available to the masses. 

How long was allotted to kids shows at the time? Monday to Friday was what, 3.30 t9 5.30/6pm? Then weekends we had basically from the channel start until about 11am. So thats about 20/25 hours per week available to watch but as this thread proves the variation available was immense... 

• Paid Members

We had a VHS of short unrelated cartoons.

One had a statue of faun come to life and cause mischief. There was no words, it was all accompanied by music. In there was an old superman cartoon in black and white with him fighting some spod with glasses.

I loved it, mainly because I didn't know better and I had already worn out my Mr. T cartoon vhs. You know the one, where Mr T travels around with a load of teenage gymnasts' solving mystery's.

• Paid Members

That's because it wasn't obscure, though. It's just old. And not that old, either. 

Y'remember Dogtanian and The Three Muskehounds, from the nineteeen eighteeeees? Used to come on right before John Craven's Newsround, 'member that?! That Juliette was well fit, used to give me a tingle all the way up to me brass 'and!

Archived