European Veteran Tommy End signs with WWE | Official

LWOLeN

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a phony American accent or is it the way he learned to speak English? I work with a Dutch girl who has an American accent, because she learned English from an American.

Previously, I worked with a girl from Pakistan who had an American accent, and claimed it's because English is easier to learn that way.

• Paid Members

Is it a phony American accent or is it the way he learned to speak English? I work with a Dutch girl who has an American accent, because she learned English from an American.

Previously, I worked with a girl from Pakistan who had an American accent, and claimed it's because English is easier to learn that way.

It's a very subjective thing. I know plenty of people who say they found British English much easier to learn and understand.

It's a very minor peeve, but it irks me when continental Europeans learn American English. Anywhere else in the world, fine - the Americans are a huge influence in the world. But there's all this big hoo-ha about us being in the EU, etc., so at least make the fucking effort to learn our English! We wouldn't choose to learn Afrikaans instead of Dutch, or Québécois instead of French, or Medigan instead of Italian, so do us that courtesy. The only European language that even its own speakers insist we shouldn't learn is Portuguese - even people from Portugal say that Brazilian Portuguese is nicer.

• Paid Members

Fact since time began: ALL Europeans sound American when speaking English.

Not true.

Discounting anecdotal evidence (and I've met plenty of Europeans with accents closer to British than American), I can also point to Gérard Houllier - he has an excellent accent for a non-native speaker. At some points he almost sounds English.

• Paid Members

Fact since time began: ALL Europeans sound American when speaking English.

There is a clause to that fact, it does not include the Danish.

They instead pick up strong traits of the dialect from where they are living. See Molby and Schmeichel.

• Paid Members

They instead pick up strong traits of the dialect from where they are living. See Molby and Schmeichel.

Laudrup too.

• Paid Members

Scandinavians usually just sound like northerners when they speak English, I think that could be telling as to how different accents came about over time.

With regards to Europeans, really depends how they learnt the language. Two Italian girls sit next to each other at work, both from northern Italy. One has an American accent, the other broken English.

• Paid Members

Scandinavians usually just sound like northerners when they speak English, I think that could be telling as to how different accents came about over time.

You're pretty much there - a lot of the northern accents took their shape from when the northern half of England was ruled by the Vikings. A mate of mine from Hexham was telling me about a lot of old Geordie slang, a lot of which comes from old Norse, like "gan' oot fer some beit [food]". I wouldn't be surprised if the word "clart" comes from Norse too. The Yorkshire dialect also has a lot of similar expressions.

Archived