Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

On the topic of suits I got a Valentino suit for £100 the other day.

I've been working on the assumption that's a bargain and wanted to share, as I'm as tight as they come. Or have my idealism crushed by people with fashion sense, whichever is more suit-able. (sorry)

Picked up a next one for £25 too.

• Paid Members

Both on ebay. The one new, the one second hand but I don't think its been worn more than a couple of time.

There's a bloke on there who just seems to buy up suits, dry clean them and then sell them on. When I'm on my laptop I'll drop you a link to the chap.

• Moderators

You were going to spend £690 on a suit for what I assume is one night? Why not just rent?

Because that never occurred to me. I might look into that now actually, suppose it would make a lot more sense.

It doesn't really matter what I wear as the missus has a playsuit/dress covered in photos of her own lips/lipstick art, so no one is going to notice me. Sounds weird, but it looks really cool

Are you genuinely never going to wear it again?

Renting a suit is shit and gross and it won't fit you properly. One minute you're willing to pay enough money to have a decent suit tailored, and the next you're talking about renting.

Just wear the funeral suit if it fits and you don't really care.

You were going to spend £690 on a suit for what I assume is one night? Why not just rent?

Because that never occurred to me. I might look into that now actually, suppose it would make a lot more sense.

It doesn't really matter what I wear as the missus has a playsuit/dress covered in photos of her own lips/lipstick art, so no one is going to notice me. Sounds weird, but it looks really cool

Are you genuinely never going to wear it again?

Renting a suit is shit and gross and it won't fit you properly. One minute you're willing to pay enough money to have a decent suit tailored, and the next you're talking about renting.

Just wear the funeral suit if it fits and you don't really care.

There aren't many opportunities that come up where I would wear one, but I will if the occasion requires. Switching from tailored to renting would be entirely down to the stupid fine I got clearing out the money I put aside for it, it's not because I've gone off the idea or don't care. If renting is shit then I'll pass on that

I really should have more saved up for when shit like this happens

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Which is why you're going to wear a suit at a wedding, stick it to da man.

Do the government want us to wear suits to weddings? Nobody has mentioned that at my weekly anarchist meetings.

Besides, it's not for a wedding. I said it was for the red carpet. Going to an awards ceremony at The Bafta so I Gotta be scrubbed up

Edit: is the Bafta a place? It was something like that

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Moderators

Which is why you're going to wear a suit at a wedding, stick it to da man.

Butch, have you been to Cheshire Oaks? You can pic up whistles pretty cheap there. And blazers and waistcoats.

Yeah, I didn't think about there! MacArthur Glen it is.

• Paid Members

I'm going to have to get a new suit later in the year for my sisters wedding. Wouldn't have bothered but I'm going to have to do part of the giving her away and the speech, so can't really just stick my old interview M+S on.

• Paid Members

Butch, have you been to Cheshire Oaks? You can pic up whistles pretty cheap there. And blazers and waistcoats.

I love a waistcoat with a suit. I get funny looks if I bust one out to work though. I used to get away with it for meeting clients in my old job, but now it stands out too much.

I love putting on my hat with my overcoat in winter too but, again, it gets funny looks as I stand out and look a massive pick. I'm a massive pick with a warm, dry head but apparently that's not sufficient to override how much of a cock I look.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I love wearing suits and particularly suit jackets. I think I own 18 at last count, though some definitely need to be binned.

Moss clearance has always done me proud, if you've got an outlet store near by it's worth a look. Being 5'6 with an enormous neck and "those gay hips" as my Mum crudely put it, getting something that fits is always a mare. I've always had pretty good service from the suit wankers there and ended up with something decent. Got a couple of DKNY suits there from about £150 each reduced from over £500 at full price.