Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
Bloody hell ā€” weā€™re a bit jetlagged, so weā€™re awake at 0230 watching Bullseye. A woman on one of the teams just told a story about how she got a phone call when she was getting out of the bath or something (I missed the start of the story), and so she ran down the stairs. She missed the last two steps, fell, and broke her ankle and some other bones. She somehow dragged herself over to the phone and picked it up.

Ā 

And it was a pervert.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious

Got an attack of the payday mentals and booked Stockholm-Helsinki-Copenhagen round trip for an absolute steal. I was initially going to go to Copenhagen-Gothenburg-Helsinki but it coughed up shit flight times, connection nonsense etc that was all avoided by going Stockholm. Everything is direct, everything is late into the morning, lovely.

Ā 

It's for a week in November so 2 nights in each city more or less. Probably going to wait a few weeks to book hostels.Ā I'm going by myself too and chalking it up as an experimental writing trip in my head (I have mates but they're going to Asia in August which I couldn't get time off for and this is my way of matching it I guess, plus I enjoy travelling alone).

Ā 

So yeah. Always wanted to do Scandinavia so I'm stoked to be knocking three capitals out of the park. I'm expecting ludicrous prices, gorgeous sights, moody overcast, initially reserved locals and plenty of getting pissed :).

Ā 

Anyone any experience or tips for these places?

Ā 

Not been but recently read Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson, he gives some detail about some of the region if you fancy a read. Little out of date though

Last year I got an Ā£80 fine for dropping a cigarette on the floor. I forgot to pay it and they were sending letters to a previous address, after ignoring what I told them and just copying my details off my ID. When they finally managed to get in touch with me the fine had gone upto Ā£660.

Ā 

I paid Ā£330 and was under the impression the rest would automatically be taken out of my bank the following month. It wasn't, I didn't notice and today a bailiff showed up at my front door wanting Ā£690. They threatened to start taking my stuff unless it was paid in full, so I did. Meaning all together that one cigarette has cost me over a grand now.

Ā 

It's annoying because I was going to use that money to buy a new suit for the weekend. Now I'll need to get one last minute or just wear my funeral suit on the red carpet.

There were a few posts a while back about good pub lies. I heard a cracker last night. Some old bloke down the local reckons he went to the casting call to play Ivan Drago in Rocky 4 and it came down to him and Dolph Lundgren. That's a great lie. You couldn't make it up (except he did, obviously).Ā 

• Moderators

There were a few posts a while back about good pub lies. I heard a cracker last night. Some old bloke down the local reckons he went to the casting call to play Ivan Drago in Rocky 4 and it came down to him and Dolph Lundgren. That's a great lie. You couldn't make it up (except he did, obviously).Ā 

Ā 

Was the old bloke Kerry von Erich? Because he was (genuinely) the next choice.

You were going to spend Ā£690 on a suit for what I assume is one night? Why not just rent?

Because that never occurred to me. I might look into that now actually, suppose it would make a lot more sense.

Ā 

It doesn't really matter what I wear as the missus has a playsuit/dress covered in photos of her own lips/lipstick art, so no one is going to notice me. Sounds weird, but it looks really cool