Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Went for an endoscopy yesterday morning. Jeezo. It was quite painful as they were shoving it in my throat but apart from that nothing that bad. Scared for no reason. First part of shoving it in is a bit dodgy though. Practice your breathing for that.

• Paid Members

Went with the banana flavoured throat spray. I think that's the way to go with this thing. Sedatives take too long to hit you and don't primarily work on your jaw, throat and tongue region. Get your breathing right and most importantly, don't panic. Once the dodgy first ten seconds are done, it's basically ok.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
On 02/02/2018 at 5:42 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Went for an endoscopy yesterday morning. Jeezo. It was quite painful as they were shoving it in my throat but apart from that nothing that bad. Scared for no reason. First part of shoving it in is a bit dodgy though. Practice your breathing for that.

I feel you you baz, never had a camera down the throat but I’ve had one up the nightmare.

Trainee docs performing the procedure, 8 or 9 people (including young/uni female nurses stood around the bed) whilst I lay on my side, parting my fundament. Best part was, they didn’t administer enough anaesthetic for the length of the procedure, half way through I felt the camera and the blades.

Lovely.

• Paid Members

I have to go for a cystoscopy (flexible camera up the pee-hole into the bladder) once a year, to make sure the cancer hasn't come back. So far, no sighting of the bastard. In two years' time, it'll have been ten years since the initial operation (which was a flexible laser up the pee-hole into the bladder), so if they haven't seen anything in those remaining two years, my file gets downgraded as it's most likely not coming back, and I won't have to go any more.

Not a fun experience. I've got the technique down properly now, coughing at the right moment so that it's not painful when they push the camera into the bladder, but it's very uncomfortable, and I'm left with an overwhelming urge to piss for the next hour or so, even when there's nothing there. And for the next two days I have a sharp, pinching pain when I go for a slash.

• Paid Members

Thanks, man. Yeah, it's no fun, but believe it or not, the worst part is the night before. I can never get to sleep until the early hours, because, no matter how much I try to stay calm and ignore it, there's the constant thought running through my head: "What if it's back?" It seems particularly irrational given how it's never been back, but bladder cancer killed my maternal uncle back in 2009, and with all the evidence showing a strong link with genetics, I find it an impossible notion to shake in those moments.

• Paid Members

Thanks, Kaz, I appreciate that. Honestly, though, I consider myself lucky: they got the cancer early, and it's never been back. There are so many poor souls out there who have it much, much worse with the radio and the chemo, and they don't even get the reassurance of it being gone. A relatively brief period of discomfort once a year feels like a blessing by comparison. I guess you could say it's the male equivalent of a smear test.

Physically, the worst part was the first year following the operation, though: had to have it four times that year, then twice the next, then was downgraded to once annually. The recovery from the op itself was hell, too - took six weeks to recover, felt like I was passing razor-blades every time I went for a piss, and, of course, there was blood with that. Mentally, I felt like I was a broken toy.

But it's all in the past now; I'm fully recovered, and I don't want to trivialise the experiences of those really and truly suffering by dwelling on it. One of the best things to come out of it is that, when i said to myself, out loud "I had cancer", I suddenly, to paraphrase Tyler Durden, knew, not thought, that one day I am going to die, and it was a bizarrely freeing thought: I felt like I had permission to live life properly now. It's been a while, and I sometimes forget it as a result, but I try to remind myself of it whenever possible.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Mentally, I felt like I was a broken toy.

Maybe, but you’re clearly of those high quality toys from our grand parents era that outlive the owners, and that collectors lose their shit about.

A bit of oiling and tinkering every year, that’s all.

Ive possibly inadvertently called you a rusty old fucker.