Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Good you can recover the data but that it's still not working really sucks. If the HDD is on its way out then I'd advise not to do too much with it as you risk damaging it further and it lessens the data recovery options. If you can pick up a cheap cable there's no harm done trying that and hopefully it will fix it. I'm wondering however if one of the internal connectors itself might have burnt out. Another thing to rule out the HDD is have you run the SMART utility through recovery? Also this page might help 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5930919?tstart=0

• Paid Members

Had a very close friend of mine commit suicide last night and I'm honestly a bit dumbstruck and don't really know how to process what I'm feeling. Hadn't really seen much of him since I'd moved back from uni but would always seem to bump into him on every visit, whether at work or out having drinks, but when I was there, he was always one of those guys who could make a room smile just by his goofy grin and was always there to check up on me if I wasn't feeling great. Was one of those guys who'd look after you on a night out too to make sure people weren't dicks because you were a little different.

Probably known about it for a few hours now but its just not processing through my head. I guess its a struggle as well as the people I'm close to back home, while obviously wanting to help, didn't know him or how much he helped me when I was at my worst. Just can't really believe I'm not going to bump into him for a chat and a pint next time I go back.

• Paid Members

Let me ask you lot something. 

We're having a party next week. We created a Facebook group. We had 27 people say they're coming, with another 6 maybes. Yesterday I posted saying we are making a lot of food, so if those who say they're maybe coming could let us know by mid week if they're actually coming or not, that'd be good. I also said those who have said they're coming, but now can't or discover they can't between now and next week, could they let us know as it's kind of rude to say you're coming to somebody's party and then not turn up without letting anybody know. 

After that, a couple people moved from Maybe to Coming, and two Coming's moved to Not Coming. One moved to Maybe. 

I have since been accused of being rude and strict and that it was weird for me to post that. Surely not? I need back up here. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

You could be right. I did add that I was world renowned for my manners and that I held them all to the same standard, which I assumed would convey that I was trying to be lighthearted with it. Ah, well. 

That doesn't convey lighthearted, more than anything it feels a bit aloof and patronising. 

• Paid Members

Spotify today have added a playlist to my account which consists of the most-listened to songs on my account in 2017. The fact that I share this account with my wife, 8yo daughter and 5yo son makes this a pretty bizarre chart.

Top 10

1) Kiss- War Machine

2) Justin Bieber and whoever- Despacito

3) Green Day- Basket Case (I blame my wife for this shite making the list)

4) Ed Sheeran- Eraser

5) Justin Timberlake- Can't Stop The Feeling

6) Walk The Moon- Shut Up And Dance

7) Vengaboys!- We Like To Party

8) Jamie xx- Gosh

9) Silento- that Whip Nae Nae bollocks

10) John Cena theme

My list is a little similar, with a couple of Kiss/Motorhead songs making it into top 10 for me, in amongst the Mrs' ravey techno shite. Only allowed as she has to "put up" with me playing Kiss stuff all the time on my guitars or when I blast them on the sound system. She hates them for some mad reason.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Maybe she's a Taz fan.

True story, I'd never heard War Machine by Kiss until this year- and the penny instantly dropped that ECW (well, Harry Slash and the Slashtones) ripped off the riff for Taz's theme. It's a blood great tune as well. It's the most played song because my son plays it a lot as well, because of the Marvel character. Black Sabbath's Iron Man was in the top 20 most played songs for the same reason.

43 minutes ago, FailedPromoter said:

My list is a little similar, with a couple of Kiss/Motorhead songs making it into top 10 for me, in amongst the Mrs' ravey techno shite. Only allowed as she has to "put up" with me playing Kiss stuff all the time on my guitars or when I blast them on the sound system. She hates them for some mad reason.

When you say similar, please tell me there is some Vengaboys on there?! Also which ravey techno shite made the list? I think we should all share our top tens!

There is a wrestling-related reason why Vengaboys is on the list. We watched NGW at Butlins and Liam Slater's gimmick is completely based on that song and using green foam fingers to dance to it. It's the true epitome of camp show wrestling, and my kids loved it.