Brand Split II - Confirmed

seph

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

World title on both shows. Tag titles on both shows. Womens title on both shows.

Intercontinental and Hardcore title on Raw. US and Cruiserweight title on Smackdown.

Sorted!

This is what I'd do, except, as they'll not want to bring back Hardcore, perhaps make it an Extreme Rules/Special Rules belt instead - can only be defended in non-standard matches, so only in HIAC, I Quit, Triple Threat, Fatal Four-Way, Cage, etc.

• Paid Members

A TV title on Raw would make a lot more sense than bringing back the hardcore title. They have three hours to fill every week, so makes sense having a belt whose gimmick is to just have a 15 minute match once a week.

Another possibility: a six-man tag title division - there aren't many such matches, and you could put the three-man stables on one show.

I'd prefer the Women's title to be on both shows, but if they absolutely had to have it on one show, then they could have a Women's tag title on the other show as yet another possibility.

There's no way they will add more titles right now i'm sure of it. The Womens and the Tag belts are in the best shape they've been in years right now

I think all 3 World, Womens, Tag will be roaming champions. They'll be a bias on one show to another. So most women on Raw most tags on SD but with a defences on the other too. Charlotte can have a tussle with the important girls on Raw and then every few weeks hop over to SD and give someone like Carmella or Alicia Fox a crack. Make sure you have the proper Tag teams on SD and then on Raw occasionally a makeshift team gets a defence. US and IC will be exclusive and should be the top singles exclusive belt held by upper midcarders. The next step up is becoming the number one contender which is a big thing while you wait for your shot. The champion should be the top guy no other World champions and should be treated like a superstar who can pick and choose where he turns up, even showing up on NXT like once a year or something

• Paid Members

I just more than anything want both shows to be different not look and feel the same.

Different stages/sets, graphics, ring announcers, back stage interviewers etc...

This. There needs to be as much of an effort to seperate them, just as much visually, as possible.

The main concern I have is that they are only a few high profile injuries or ratings drops away from ignoring their own rules and just mixing rosters between shows and making the brand split worthless again.

World title on both shows. Tag titles on both shows. Womens title on both shows.

Intercontinental and Hardcore title on Raw. US and Cruiserweight title on Smackdown.

Sorted!

They won't have a Hardcore title, the last one was before Benoit and all that concussion shit and them turning PG which makes thumb tacks and barbed wire shots impossible on TV.
how many hardcore title matches went beyond trash cans and cooking sheets though? Not that I'd bring the belt back. There was room for it to be decently important in like 05 with all the ECW nostalgia, instead of the shitty third brand they ended up doing. Who's 'hardcore' nowadays who wouldn't be held back by a belt associated with one Crash Holly held 63 thousand times?

Crash Holly is dead and so are many others from that era, or at least physical messes, getting hit with trash cans and baking sheets will eventually lead to concussions, which them and all physical sports are trying to cut back on.

Say what? I doubt the kitch, popcorn style hardcore matches they had from 99-01 were the sole result of a single wrestling fatality. Crash Holly choked on his own vomit after a bottle of pills and nobody knows why. I doubt having Viscera and Joey Abs drive trolleys into him for a year done it.

• Paid Members

Either way, though, I think hardcore has pretty much had its time, especially in WWE - with everything that's happened and everything they're doing to try to prevent it from happening again, I don't see how it's possible to have a championship that would require sufficiently frequent hardcore matches to justify having the division.

Ultimately, I'd say hardcore as we came to know it during the 90s and the Attitude era has had its time; it mainly came about in the WWF as a response to ECW's rise to cult popularity from tapping into the zeitgeist. There's no need for it now, as ECW is long gone and mainstream culture has long-since changed into something very different.

With that in mind, might there be an argument for an Internet or Network championship? Zack Ryder's thing was years too early, but we are now in an era where the internet is much more integrated into our daily lives than ever, and there are now whole generations for whom life without it is unthinkable. Given WWE's propensity to push their Twitter account, the website, and the Network, maybe the time for such a championship has finally come? Such a title wouldn't have to just be defended on the internet/Network, it would have to be completely integrated with all the online stuff WWE pushes, so it could be a way for them to bring back the Cyber Sunday/Taboo Tuesday format in a smaller, less over-bearing way, plus it could also be a way for them to experiment with social media to drive storylines and angles, with polls, YT videos, etc.

I suppose they're passe, yeah. There's only so much you can do with potted plants, hockey nets and that guy's crutch before you start to at least nod to some of the things they've tried so much to move away from. The internet championship is a mental idea that by the time I finished reading I now want to see it out of sheer curiosity. This whole midcard belt ideas thing is fun.

They just need to learn from the mistakes of last time. If this is going to be a genuine brand split, the names they have need to be split between the 2 shows, and not Raw-heavy, and being on Smackdown shouldn't be seen as a demotion. I'd stick Cena on Smackdown and Reigns on Raw, until the inevitable match to see who is 'The Man'.

I'd keep PPVs as mixed, but have brand-specific shows on the Network every so often. I'd also like them to make a big deal of Number 1 contenders matches, have a guy from each show face off on PPV and the winner gets the next shot (this is something I've wanted for ages, though).

I expect that this pretty much ends NXT as a touring brand in the way that it has been recently. It will surely go back to what it was pre-Sami Zayn which may not be a bad thing. Hopefully this means we will see Balor, Nakamura and Joe on the main roster very soon.

Surprised they have announced like this rather than working it into the existing McMahon storyline. I do wonder how much of this is due to Shane being back in the fold and there doesn't seem to be any love lost between Shane and Triple H if Monday's podcast is anything to go by. Might be jumping to conclusions but wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a power struggle going on at the moment.

• Paid Members

It's kind of made irrelevant with Vince still having the final say over everything, but I'd love them to have two separate writing teams and have them do the draft picks as a shoot. That way the key guys will go to a show where the writers have already got a desire/idea to use them.

Archived