Brand Split II - Confirmed

seph

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get the feeling Smackdown's going to gut what has been to this point the golden age of NXT. It's going to have so much feeding to do so fast now that I can't see it being as strong a WWE indie powerhouse as it's been in the past two years or so. Not that it massively bothers me, anyway. Takeover specials aside I get nothing from watching the weeklys and the whole predictable Performance Center-Vignette-NXT Debut-Vignette-Raw debut progression route often feels overdone. Why AJ's debut was so fresh I guess.

With the admittedly excellent Breaking Ground too sometimes I don't really want to see all the baby pictures before the fish just gets dropped in the pond. The whole follow the journey thing is mental. I fully believe there'll be another show on the Network within the year that acts as a precursor to Breaking Ground.

• Paid Members

Seems the World title thing is going to be divisive. I personally hate the two-title model, think it's absolute shite. D-d-d-dAz' suggestion of both champs facing each other at Mania's probably the only thing that sounds appealing, but then what would you do with the Rumble winner? Having the two World champs face each other sounds like a match only Mania is big enough for.

One World champ, please. Doesn't matter about challengers being only on one show - it's part-and-parcel of making the World title a big deal, and WWE have shown they're perfectly capable of having feuds between more than two guys.

• Paid Members

No fake crowd noise due to Smackdown going live will be a winner too.

Good shout.

I didn't mind the two champions until about 2010. I don't think the concept was bad, I think the fact they eventually sidelined Smackdown was the problem. When they had champions like Cena, Edge, Undertaker and Batista on SD and they were presented as equal to the other Champ, it worked well.

That said, I'd be happy with one World Champ and them raising the profile of the US & IC titles on Raw & SD as per the original idea in 2002.

• Paid Members

The two world champs thing was OK when one of the titles was ostensibly a continuation of the relatively recent WCW lineage.

if they now just go "We've got two separate brands again now, so here's a second World Title that is as prestigious as the other one" it'll kinda suck.

You get the feeling Smackdown's going to gut what has been to this point the golden age of NXT. It's going to have so much feeding to do so fast now that I can't see it being as strong a WWE indie powerhouse as it's been in the past two years or so.

I can still see them using the Cruiserweight Tournament to grab a handful of new talent for NXT, and maybe raid Japan or the US indies (or TNA) for a few other talents to fill the hole left by Balor, Joe, Nakamura etc leaving.

• Paid Members

You get the feeling Smackdown's going to gut what has been to this point the golden age of NXT. It's going to have so much feeding to do so fast now that I can't see it being as strong a WWE indie powerhouse as it's been in the past two years or so.

I can still see them using the Cruiserweight Tournament to grab a handful of new talent for NXT, and maybe raid Japan or the US indies (or TNA) for a few other talents to fill the hole left by Balor, Joe, Nakamura etc leaving.

Wondered if this will be a precursor to a Cruiserweight division on Smackdown. I'm not huge on it bu it would be different and fill a big gap.

Archived