Brand Split II - Confirmed

seph

• Paid Members

I suppose they're passe, yeah. There's only so much you can do with potted plants, hockey nets and that guy's crutch before you start to at least nod to some of the things they've tried so much to move away from. The internet championship is a mental idea that by the time I finished reading I now want to see it out of sheer curiosity. This whole midcard belt ideas thing is fun.

I only really came up with the internet/Network title thing because, just as the 90s' grungy, gritty and jaded culture was what gave rise to the hardcore style's popularity in wrestling, the current era we live in is probably summarised by online culture, social media and whatnot, and an internet-oriented belt would best represent that. Either that or a Reality TV title, but I have no idea how you could have such a thing in a wrestling product without going all LOLTNA.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is going to be a genuine brand split, the names they have need to be split between the 2 shows, and not Raw-heavy, and being on Smackdown shouldn't be seen as a demotion.

I would assume this is the main reason for Smackdown going live. This way both shows can be seen as equal apart from Raw running an hour longer.  This was the main gripe with talent during the last brand split, most of them hated being on Smackdown simply because it was pre-recorded and they all wanted to perform on the live show. 

There's also a chance USA Network wanted Smackdown to air live aswell as I don't think ratings for a pre taped wrestling show would deliver decent viewing figures for them. Spoilers on the net have ruined Smackdown for years.

Actually most of the time Smackdown has aired live and even been promoted as such, the replay in the regular spot has done better ratings.

Neither have dipped that much from the previous week, so you have to assume most of the fans watched it twice, which doesn't say a lot for wrestling fans.

Actually most of the time Smackdown has aired live and even been promoted as such

What are you talking about? Only around 10 episodes of Smackdown has aired live since it began in '99. Smackdown has always been recorded on Tuesday nights.

Yeah and it's still bollocks. He's quoting stats from those live Smackdown episodes that aired on the USA Network during Xmas week. The ones that aired live on Tuesday and then get repeated in their usual Thurs/Friday night slot.  This only happens once a year.

Yeah maybe the replay figures in the regular slot might've been better, but to say Smackdown has mostly aired live is utter shite.

I didn't say Smackdown has mostly aired live, I said most of the time smackdown has aired live and been promoted as such, the replay in the regular spot has done better ratings.

I didn't say how often it happened because I've not counted it but I know the few times I've looked at the ratings of a live show and then a normal day repeat, the repeat usually wins and I wasn't just talking Holliday's but things like the 700th episode or their move to SyFy or USA (both the live show and replay aired on the same channel)

That isn't what he said though,add the word 'when' between time and Smackdown and it hopefully reads a little clearer. He isn't claiming Smackdown mostly airs live. He's saying that when Smackdown does air live the replay gains similar ratings most of the time.

Well, it'll be interesting.   NXT may become a victim of its own success when the biggest names the Full sail lot have to cheer for is The Drifter and Bull Dempsey.   It'll be an hour of them lot marking for themselves.  

Instead of the Hardcore belt, what about creating a "fake" European style,, 20 minute time limits, yellow/red card, you can't touch each other outside of the ring?   Every title match has a 30 minute title limit and is 2 out of 3 falls?        

Well, it'll be interesting.   NXT may become a victim of its own success when the biggest names the Full sail lot have to cheer for is The Drifter and Bull Dempsey.   It'll be an hour of them lot marking for themselves.  

Instead of the Hardcore belt, what about creating a "fake" European style,, 20 minute time limits, yellow/red card, you can't touch each other outside of the ring?   Every title match has a 30 minute title limit and is 2 out of 3 falls?        

They'll have a tough time cheering for Bull.

Meltzer on WOR saying Reigns will be headlining Raw, Cena Smackdown.

About the best thing you can do really, isn't it? The new #1 guy gets the flagship show whilst Cena - still kinda the #1 guy really - makes Smackdown instantly a destination. It even seems to fit more with Raw's melting pot of a live crowd and Smackdown's more family friendly atmosphere (Smackdown usually having crowd noise piped in, granted, but I reckon Cena's a better fit for the less snarky, 'bright' show).

Archived