Edinburgh Fringe 2016

ReturnOfTheMack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I've been waiting for the full programme to come out - looking through it all will sort my quiet Sunday at work, cheers!

Will definitely be up there this year, and will be performing there for the first time which will be cool. I'm in a one off show for definite, and my improv group's been offered a two week slot in the free fringe which will be great if we can afford to do it.

• Paid Members

My review of 'He Had Hairy Hands' https://www.cultofwhatever.com/2015/11/he-had-hairy-hands-review-if-the-supernatural-doesnt-exist-then-how-come-it-does/

I work in theatre, so I see a LOT of shows, and I can't recommend this one highly enough - its the funniest thing I have ever seen on stage.

Heres a clip from it the company uploaded to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE42tTgMfcU

• Paid Members

Im your typical Edinburger who takes the festival for granted and only goes to a couple of shows a year. I determined to make more off a go of it this year. Booked 2 weeks off so will be scouring for shows soon.

• Paid Members

I've applied for free fringe as a solo act so it's still being a matter of waiting for a rejection of acceptance at present. My unis comedy society is up there so it could be a case of going to visit them instead otherwise.

Edit: Turns out I've been offered Free Fringe. Sick.

Go and see The Dark Room with John Robertson if you can. He's performed at two of our festivals now and it's one of the best comedy experiences I've had.

The conceit is this: You awake to find yourself in a dark room; you have four options: Why, Sleep, Find Light Switch, Go North. Each will lead you to a new screen, and almost certainly death. Only one path will lead you out of the dark room, but should you manage it you'll win £1,000.

It's superbly hosted by John, mostly based around his ability to out-wit and out-insult his audience. I've seen it twice now and I'd absolutely go a third time if I had the chance.

Yeah I've been to the Dark Room 4 times over the last 2 Fringes and every show has been amazing. There's obviously a bit of crossover between shows but the majority of the show is based on the audience interaction so each show is fairly unique. Great stuff. Polish Dad - have you seen Robertson's regular stand up show? It clashed with other stuff last year so didn't make it but was thinking about it this year.

Definitely go and see Neal Portenza. I've seen him two years running (plus his out of character stand up) and they were all fantastic. Impossible to describe the show but he's been the highlight of the last 2 years for me.

I always get a few friends up and make a week/weekend of it. We managed to squeeze in around 35 shows in the space of a week last year, with the majority being free shows so we only spent around £80 each on tickets. It's a great time to be in the city. So much happening wherever you go.

• Paid Members

Going for the first time ever this year. Got tickets for Burnistoun, but will see if anything else takes my fancy while I'm there. 

Just found out that Radio Active are doing a show as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Tickets bought for Don't Wake The Damp on the 15th - a comedy based around 80s sci fi and 90s gaming. Their other show (He Had Hairy Hands) was amazingly funny, so I'm expecting a lot.  https://www.cultofwhatever.com/2015/11/he-had-hairy-hands-review-if-the-supernatural-doesnt-exist-then-how-come-it-does/

• Awards Moderator

To follow up on my earlier post, I'll be with my improv group from the 14th-27th at the Up2Extra on Cowgatehead (Venue 32) at 3.15pm. Spontaneous Wrecks - free entry, wrestling suggestions welcome!

For other stuff, Darius Davies: Road To WrestleMania could be a good one for wrestling fans. I also like the sound of Hyprov with Colin Mochrie, improv but with one of the players under hypnosis. Could be gimmicky but could be very interesting! Also hearing very good things about Police Cops at the Pleasance.

• Paid Members

Similar to ElCece, I always take it for granted, being so close to it etc. Usually I only catch a couple of things and meet ups for shows usually turn into a day at the pubs.

I've got a couple of weeks off mid-August, so have bought a load of tickets. The most expensive being the Hacksaw show, which I regret agreeing to go see.

Aside from Hacksaw, I've got tickets for Bill Burr, Ari Shaffir, Stewart Lee and Ryan Adams. I forgot about Cobana, may see if I can get a ticket later.

Can anybody recommend another fun, middling comedy show? For my mates and that.

Archived