Who are "Your Boys"?

WyattSheepMask

Ahmed Johnson: I love everything about this man. The nonsensical promos, the fact he looked like he could kill people, the fact he nearly did kill people through sheer ineptitude. And those reactions! Watching 1996 Raw on the Network shows just how over this man was at one point in time. Nowadays the smarts would boo him out of the building but he was a megaface back in the day.

Rodney Mack: Thuggin' and buggin' his way into my crew. I long for a time in wrestling where intangibles like talent, charisma and skill didn't matter to me and I just enjoyed it as entertainment. Mack was that for me. I found the White Boy Challenge thing hilarious as a teenager, Teddy Long was on fire as his manager and the Mack really looked like he could hurt somebody. He lacked any of the real qualities to make it, but he's my boy.

Tank Abbott: I was a huge Ken Shamrock fan as a kid so when WCW brought in their own UFC alum I was all over it. I still love the old bastard to this day and will always watch him get knocked out by journeyman MMA fighters just to see if he lands a lucky punch that will take him back to the top of the game and that elusive UFC title. Plus him doing the 3 Count dance is enough to keep 2000 WCW off any worst promotion lists for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Paid Members

Dredging this one back up I've actually managed to assemble my Boy Stable over the last few weeks, and here's a handy dandy picture of them all:

Shark Boy. He's king boy for me and a couple of my mates. We popped big for him at a WWA show back in about 2001 when he curtain jerked. Borash was doing live commentary and hated that we shouted "SHAAAAAARK BOOOOOOOOOY!" every time he mentioned his name, and I don't think the rest of the hundreds in attendance were too keen on it either. 

Road Dogg: when my best mate and I were marking out over DX in college I tried to find a DX shirt, but the only had the Road Dogg one. I picked it up, and took him into my stable at the same time. 

Sean O'Haire: loved his music by Waterproof Blonde. Had it as my music in Smackdown Vs Raw 2006. He had a decent look, and I was fascinated by his devil's advocate gimmick. Watched him wrestle Rey Mysterio at a house show in Sheffield. Remember the whole show being pretty weak. 

Toru Yano. The spoiler. Buy 1000. I love his shitarsery and chickenshit shenanigans. People have argued that he's not actually a "boy", but I won't have it. 

Fake nWo Sting. I'm a massive Sting mark, and this is how I manage to kind of get him into my stable. 

Vinnie Vegas and Big Sky. Nash isn't eligible for boy status, but this is Vinnie Vegas, and he was a bit shit. Big Sky played Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie. They tagged in some squashes on Worldwide in the early 90s, presumably with the aim of being fed to Steamboat & Douglas or Dustin Rhodes & Barry Windham, or just to give them something to do. 

Shaniqua. Need I say more? If I have to have the Bashams as well, then so be it. 

IMG_20210201_164835.jpg

• Paid Members

Jesus wept, Geoff, that’s a bump. I’d argue you can’t have Road Dog because he was wildly popular in his prime.

I’ll have Power & Glory for a start. Both are regarded as crap and just because the Power-Plex is remembered as awesome doesn’t mean we can call them popular. My second tape ever borrowed from my mates sisters video shop was Survivors 90 and I thought they looked hard as nails and cool as a cucumber. It took Hogan and Warrior to stop them!! “I hope the Hart Foundation don’t have to defend against them any time soon,” I thought, oblivious to the fact it was years ago and before the weekend was over I’d be watching Bret defend the big one at Survivors 92.

I’ll have Adam Bomb too. I thought he was really finding his stride right before his release and the little foam bombs should have been massive with the kids and been the big merchandise seller every super babyface needs. I was convinced that if Razor couldn’t be relied upon to have his knee hold up for more than two weeks at a time, then it would be Bomb to permanently dethrone Double J for the I title, Bomb Squad rejoice! ... then Mabel squashed him and it was over. What a waste. He could do great stuff for his size, like a prototype Mike Awesome. I’ll always look back at what could have been, and I’ve had his Hasbro go over Bam Bam, Earthquake, anyone else you want to name, and bodyslam and pin Yoko to win the big belt. I’m 38.

If none of you other fuckers want him, I’ll damn well take The Mountie too.

Enjoyed both Mordecai & Kevin Thorn. I still don't understand what was SO bad about Mordecai that they didn't at least do one PPV match with Taker. Looking back, yeah he wasn't the greatest worker, but they persisted with Heidenreich for what felt like forever.

Another one- he's certainly talented, but more than fits the criteria when it comes to success and popularity- or lack thereof. Tyler Breeze. Dude looked like a million bucks in NXT, even when he always took the loss to everyone. He debuted with promise on the main roster and again, they gave up on him after about a month.

Oh shit, we need 5? Test seems to qualify. Great look but not much else going for him.

Sean O'Haire. Was it always a case of the vignettes hyping more than he could deliver? I don't know, but I remember enjoying him even as far back as the Invasion angle.

Vladimir Kozlov. I think he gets unfairly lumped in with the other unsuccessful big lugs of his generation. He was alright, and while he did well with the comedy stuff, I could have bought him as a monster occasionally threatening the main event scene. Sort of like Kane.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2
I've got 5!

• Paid Members

CW Anderson. Him coming out to witches brew throwing up those C W hand signs before looking constipated with a thumb across the throat had me sold. I'll always have a soft spot for him in the arse end on ecw. 

Norman Smiley. When me and a mate would arse about during the breaks in nitro or thunder on a Friday night he'd be Goldberg or sting and I'd always be Norman Smiley because he was awesome. Bonus points for screaming Norman. 

Simon Dean, I thought that was genuinely amazing stuff and deserved more than getting lumbered with gymini. 

Honorable mention to Paul Lauria. My first exposure to pre 2000 ECW was the delta TV comps (philly steak, who'd of think it et cetera). Only having one for quite a while, and with it showcasing Paul Lauria vs Whipwreck, I thought he was going to be a mega star when I got more tapes. On a check he had 11 matches, but to me he's the true King of ECW

I see the name 'X-Pac' popping up quite a bit....You do realize he's a multiple Champ in WWE (like won nearly everything), WCW & TNA Champion also? As well as 2 (TWO) Hall of Fame rings? I hardly feel he qualifies based on the criteria in the original post......

Rick Martel also has a Titles in WWE & WCW let alone a AWA World title reign.

Anyway, Gangrel is my top pick, just an out and out 'good hand', didn't win Championships or headlined shows and didn't need to.

The Wall from WCW was awesome, there was a short period where i was obsessed with him, making CAWs of him and being convinced he was going to be World Champ one day.

Add me to The Crush boat, I listened JR's podcast on him recently, it's actually amazing how many times they tried to make him a star and he just couldn't be bothered.

Dana Brooke is my current one, she really is just rubbish but likeable, you get the feeling she puts 110% into everything and could do for 30 years and still not 'get it'.