Is WWF 2000 part of the attitude era?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

For me, it isn't. I think of the end of the attitude era as being the period in late 1999 when Vince Russo fucked off and Steve Austin got run over.

From there the WWF became a different animal. The matches were miles better, the amount of dross in the mid-card, both in and out of the ring, was heavily reduced and the ability of the talent shone through. Everything felt less desperate and more polished.

They never really returned to the vulgarity and desperation of the attitude era save for that short spell in late 2002 when Triple H had destroyed the Raw roster and they had no ideas other than to try and sex stuff up.

Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always went with it as the Attitude era ending when the Invasion ended, so the end of 2001. 2002 with the draft, name change and "Ruthless Aggression" moved on to a new feel. Although I wouldn't argue with anyone who said Attitude ended before the Invasion. That period was just a mad phase all to itself I guess.

• Paid Members

Into 2000 the Kat was still getting her tits exposed on TV, they banged on about Chyna being naked in Playboy throughout the autumn and in the build up to Mania 17 Vince had Trish strip down to her underwear and bark like a dog for his entertainment. I'm more than happy with Survivors 97 and WrestleMania 17 as the bookends of "Attitude."

• Paid Members

Late 2000 is when Stephanie was hired as head of creative and they sacked everyone who was smarter than her to make her look the clever one in the room. I'd say that's probably when the decline started. Its why they'll never recover creatively. In 2000 from top to bottom it seemed like everything was amazing. From the headliners to the uppercard to the midcard to the opener to the people who lost everyweek to the announcers. Everything was great. Now Vince has final say and the creative team writes television Vince would like, not the audience. And then Vince ends up not liking it, so everyone is pissed off.

• Paid Members

early-2000. 2000–2002 is a weird, “in-between” era but a bloody good time with the talent they had.

Didn't they try selling that as "The Ruthless Aggresion" era?

Despite so many people loving 2000 as a year, I have fonder memories of 97/98/99 personally.

• Paid Members

early-2000. 2000–2002 is a weird, “in-between” era but a bloody good time with the talent they had.

Didn't they try selling that as "The Ruthless Aggresion" era?

Despite so many people loving 2000 as a year, I have fonder memories of 97/98/99 personally.

Ruthless aggression was mid 2002 onwards.

1997 had a brilliant stuff going on at the top of the WWF but the midcard was full of shite. 1998 wasn't great after Austin won the title. Good matches with Foley but thatAustin/McMahon angle was keeping them afloat but the challengers to Austin were shit.

2000 was much more well rounded from top to bottom. Even the light heavyweight title had a feud worth watching.

• Paid Members

Chris Kreski, the most under appreciated man of modern WWF. If he got half the mentions for his talents that Russo gets for his shiteness.

Was rather shocked when he died. He was pretty young.

Archived