Is WWF 2000 part of the attitude era?

tiger_rick

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me, it pretty much ended with WM17. Triple H dropped "My Time" for "Time To Play The Game", D-X for all intents and purposes were done, and, as Pinc says, Stone Cold and Vince were now allies - the guy whose "attitude" towards his boss was probably the defining and representative storyline of the era had now effectively lost it.

• Paid Members

Wikipedia says it ended in may 2002

That means less than the square root of fuck all. Wikipedia once said that Lex Luger was dead, that Ric Flair was dead, and that the telephone was invented by a giant fire-breathing bunny called Frank.

• Paid Members
He started using that before Wrestlemania 17. The first time I remember hearing it was on a Smackdown episode a week or two before his loss to Kurt Angle at the 2001 Rumble.

The first time it was used was the 8th January Raw when Hunter made his surprise return by lamping Austin and costing him his title shot at Kurt, leaving him laying with his sledgie. The combination of beating the shit out of Austin and his new boss music playing instantly transformed Triple H into the coolest motherfucker alive to me at that moment, remarkably.

Much better remembered is JR's hyperbolic reaction. "Damn you Helmsley! Damn you all to hell Triple H! You screwed Austin, you bastard!" etc.

• Paid Members

*This post is shit and made by a cunt*.

I know lemmy forgot the words to the game at x7.

Secondly wiki once said NXT rookie Rhino was going to use a "Dr. kill" gimmick. I believe the ukff had some fun editing that to many things including, but not limited to, a Dr Fraiser Crane gimmick.

I'd say that it ended with the handshake of doom to end WrestleMania 17... alternatively Survivor Series 2001 when the 'war' ended and we stepped into the brand extension era. 

I believe that the attitude era gets way too much love for what was essentially a fantastically booked main event scene with a fairly crap undercard. The Oddities, The New Midnight Express, Brawl for All, Kaientai, Val Venis (may have been a solid talent but the gimmick hasn't aged well at all), Marvellous Marc Mero ... there was a whole heap of shit on the cards too. 

That said the crowds were red hot, the product felt fresh and there was a new wave of mega stars coming through the ranks. I feel todays performers are more talented (in ring) but the psychology and the gimmicks are dire. 

On a side note I much prefer 2002 from a general perspective. We had a fantastic SummerSlam and Survivor Series, a brutal Hell in a Cell with Taker and Brock and the Smackdown Six put on some blinding matches. Sure there was a lot of crap too (Taker vs Hogan?!) but the cards were much more diverse. 

• Paid Members

*this is probably shit so skim over it*

What made 2000 so good, especially the first half, was the effort top to bottom. There were midcard names who were midcard but had something meaningful to do and were joy to watch.

97 had a shit undercard.

98 the main booking was a bit of a clusterfuck outside the direct Austin Vince bit (the taker Kane story late 98 was a mess).

99 started well but everything was rushed and shit thrown at the wall to see what sticks.

2000 the every thing just clicked untill Austin was back on the scene and they scrambled for something.

In early 2000 midcard names could tag with main event names and look credible without undermining the big star or looking out of place.

• Paid Members

I'd define it working on the basis that an era has to start and end with "well shit's different now." So you start with the Vince McMahon "insulting intelligence/passe" promo and end with Austin turning heel while the ECW boss does commentary and the WCW crew watch on from an executive box.

• Paid Members

I'd define it working on the basis that an era has to start and end with "well shit's different now." So you start with the Vince McMahon "insulting intelligence/passe" promo and end with Austin turning heel while the ECW boss does commentary and the WCW crew watch on from an executive box.

Archived