Nick Bockwinkel has passed away

WyattSheepMask

Its very rare I ever post on here - but his body of work was absolutely outstanding - for those newer to the sport, have a look at some of his work on the Network/Youtube, he was way ahead of his time, absolutely fantastic wrestler and talker 

A couple of his promos and matches - a true great

• Paid Members

Gutted. He's been struggling with dementia for some time now by all accounts. One of the great all round performers in wrestling history. Brilliant in ring technician, actually understood what being a cowardly heel was all about and the innovator of a style of promo that main event heels are still ripping off today. His matches from the 80's (when he was already ancient) hold up remarkably well. Also seemed to be regarded as a genuinely decent person from what I can tell as evidenced by his role at the Cauliflower Alley Club for a number of years. RIP.

• Paid Members

He was fabulous. Great heel and carried himself brilliantly as a champion with that "this is the benchmark" aura that so few champions this century have managed. He was completely different to Ric Flair but in his domain he felt on Flair's level in regarding the idea of "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." Hulkamania was born out of the AWA fans' desire to see Hogan beat him, probably all that needs to be said. Shame he's known to so few casual fans, he could have been revered in the same widespread manner as Flair, Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race if it had been St Louis or Greensboro he built his legacy rather than Minneapolis.

This sucks. One of the most underrated legendary performers due to him not really having anything to do with WWE, but what an absolutely awesome heel he was. Logical but condescending promos, fantastic combos with Ray Stevens and Bobby Heenan, and an excellent worker to boot. Time to go though the disc collection tonight I think...

• Paid Members

Bockwinkel was one of those guys who made wrestling look easy. Actually, he made it look hard but you could tell it was easy for him to do it. Working a similar style, I'd put him way above Flair in terms of what he could do, both in-ring and on the stick, but he chose a simpler life in the AWA than going to New York or the Carolinas, where he'd undoubteldy have had a run as NWA champion.

As part of the rump of the Real In Memphis crew, this year has been tough. The guys that brought us all together are dropping, and that sucks.

• Paid Members

I never really saw much of him but every time his name came up in wrestler's interviews and stuff it'd always be positive. My only knowledge of him really comes from Heenan telling stories about him on shoot interviews.

And of course from the AWA DVD the WWE put out years ago, which he was obviously heavily featured on. He was a talking head on that DVD as well and I remember thinking how well he came across and how great his look and gravelly voice was in the footage of him in his prime. I think it sums him up that when his section came up on the DVD pretty much every single talking head said the same thing about him - "he was a class act".

Archived