UKFF SPORTS!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Who plays sports on here? I, despite me advanced age (30), play rugby as a flanker for my local village rugby team's 2nd XV and, when they're stuck and I agree to play at that more serious level as I hate it, play for the 1st XV too. Also, in the summers I play cricket for the next village along.

So, SPORTS! Any good stories?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played for my local C team in footy for a bit. Normally played full-back or just anywhere firmly away from opposition goal. I'm good at putting it about in the tackle, and nabbing the ball off cocky little shit wingers with a Cristiano-complex, who would often then try pick a fight. Mediocre at passing, and decisions, much more of a coaster than a work rate-player, once I got close enough to goal to shoot - didn't go well. So I'm like...Tony Hibbert?

Keep me well away from all other sports. In high school basketball, nobody told me bouncing the ball was not optional. So when I got the ball I started rugbying it up and got the complete piss ripped out of me. I have poor co-ordination so anything swinging a bat or racket was out also. Too scrawny to enjoy ruggerz and I found it frustratingly stop-start.

• Paid Members

Who plays sports on here? I, despite me advanced age (30), play rugby as a flanker for my local village rugby team's 2nd XV and, when they're stuck and I agree to play at that more serious level as I hate it, play for the 1st XV too. Also, in the summers I play cricket for the next village along.

We're to old for it now, Butch. Get yourself in doors and have a nice cup of tea with me.

• Moderators

We're to old for it now, Butch. Get yourself in doors and have a nice cup of tea with me.

Me knees will seize up if I sit down too long! 

Does it have to be a team sport? I cycle, started two years back and just passed 9000 miles cycled since then. Never cycle just as a form of transport to go somewhere, it's about the physical activity.. Wil be cycling up the highest tarmaced road in Scotland this Sunday , and will likely be the largest person doing it

• Paid Members

These days, it's usually 5-a-side and pool/snooker.

I used to play rugby as a number 8 for my high school when I lived in Galashiels and for my local club when I moved further up north. In high school (cue Glory Days) I was a good athlete as I was big and surprisingly fast, which sadly ended, like most Scots, in a haze of Pot Noodles, Irn Bru and Sausage Rolls. My family were all disappointed in me because all of them were decent at football while old Bollocks was slumming it with the fat lads over an egg.

My knee did a Van Nistelrooy when I was 18, so I pretty much got fatter and decided Playstation, Pool and Darts are for me. My Grandad still went to his grave disappointed.

I was planning to join an MMA gym this year, but I'm busy eh.

Used to be a really good batsman but haven't played cricket in a few years now. Opened for the top blokes team in the area when I was 16 and had county trials but went through a bad period and threw a lot of good opportunities away.

I was alright at footy, enjoyed playing for the local Sunday league side but again, haven't played football in years either.

Darts is about the only sport I play regularly now, and poker if you can count that.

I play Ultimate Frisbee which is a real man's sport.  I mean, there's a group of about 10-15 of us who get together on a Monday and play a game, and we haven't had an actual competitive fixture yet because there's no other team around.  But we still play.

I played Rugby for a bit in uni on the wing, but I went to an arts university and we could barely get enough people to play sevens, so that ended pretty sharpish.

I was someone who played a lot of sport when I was younger, but do next to nothing these days.  Turned out for my school Football, Rugby, Cricket and hockey teams and played four and a half years for a Sunday Football side too.  My Rugby career was a strange one as I started out as full back then when we were short on numbers one game switched to prop and proceeded to play the rest of my time from there.  I think I primarily stayed there because I was tall and had a good vertical leap and was a bit of a demon in the lineout; I certainly wasn't built as your stereotypical prop!  Cricket was very cliquey where we were and the same lads who opened the bowling also opened the batting, I didn't stick with it for long due to those reasons.  I really enjoyed Hockey and captained the school side and was due to go to county trials, but ended up missing them.

Probably the most impressive thing from my Football career was playing a charity match in front of 1,500 people as around a 12 or 13 year old.  It was in aid or leukaemia research after a lad we were at school with died from the illness.  I've still got the newspaper cuttings from back then and it boggles my mind that the game attracted that many people.  We ended up drawing 3-3 scoring a very late equaliser to tie the game.

• Paid Members

I don't play anymore because I am far to old,fat, and broken, but I played Rugby at a decent standard until I was 19. Played American football after that for a couple of years. I played cricket at a pretty poor level until my early 30s. I was very much a poor man's Dermott Reeve but without the cocaine, but with added chips. I started umpiring a couple of years ago and I have spent most of this summer just gone umpiring Lincs League Premier and South Lincs and Border Premier games on Saturday's and various Sunday and weekday games including Lincoln League on a Sunday and County age group games. Hopefully given a decent year next year I should be umpiring ECB Premier League games in 2017.

I play Ultimate Frisbee which is a real man's sport.  I mean, there's a group of about 10-15 of us who get together on a Monday and play a game, and we haven't had an actual competitive fixture yet because there's no other team around.  But we still play.

Ultimate is an excellent game, played it a lot when I was at uni. Since then I've got far too old and fat for such a high paced game but discovered Disc Golf last year and have become a big fan of that, far more my pace of game. Played my first tournament a couple of weeks ago and have a pairs competition coming up near Edinburgh this weekend.

I also do Olympic Weightlifting, not competitively but it makes going to the gym far more interesting and challenging than the usual gym routine. The lifts are so technical and so hard to do correctly, and at high speed, but when it all comes together and you catch a heavy barbell overhead it feels great.

• Paid Members

I've done plenty in the past- kickboxing, karate, gymnastics and tennis but the only constant has been football, specifically 5-a-side. The 5-a-side league I played in for several years (until last year) was on 1/3 of an 11-a-side pitch, which meant you had touchlines and you could also play over head height. This was fucking ace for me, as I have a decent long pass so I'd sit at the back mopping up and ping through these diagonal balls on a sixpence. Then if I were feeling adventurous I'd bomb down the left wing and score the odd goal, as primarily I was a right-footed leftback.

I had my Aguero moment last year. We'd been playing in the same league for about 7 years and they have around 3 seasons per year. We were a yo-yo side, always bouncing between the top two divisions without ever challenging for the title in the top flight. But then a couple of years ago, everything fell into place and in the top division we won the league (previously the highest we'd finished was 5th I think, mid-table). The next season we were shit (finished 2nd from bottom), partly because two players went travelling but when they returned we were back to full strength. "We Go Again", as some cunt once said.

We started really well during the season and then at some point found out this was going to be the last ever league, as the organisers couldn't be bothered to run it anymore. Fast forward to the final game of the season and we needed a win to seal the title (regardless of other results). It was 0-0 all throughout the game, which is remarkable for 5-a-side, and then in the final minute of the game they were on the attack with us frantically defending backs-to-the-wall style. But then, after a shot of theirs was blocked, my teammate brought the ball out of the area as I made a manic dash down the left wing. He played a killer through-ball leaving the last man for dead, I latched onto it and Henry'd it round the keeper into the bottom right-hand corner. Last touch of the last game of the last ever league- a goal to win the title. I loved that moment.

Archived