UKFF SPORTS!

PowerButchi

Used to do loads in my youth, county level discus thrower, could have gone much further, but a back injury scuppered that. Was going to be taught spinning and the Hammer by Lorraine Shaw, which would have been mint. Smashed the School record in competition, only to foul throw because was that made up did not step out the back of the circle, like a pillock. However had potential to go much further, but after injury Gcses coursework and stuff took up most of my time, so kinda fizzled.

Aside from that 10 pin bowled all over the country, went to the Uni Nationals twice and would still make a decent league bowler today.

Then was goalkeeper for competitive 5 aside team, which played in a league with lot's of ringers, players from most clubs as far as Swindon, Brum and Oxford would play, often. Was also keeper for Uni 4ths on occasion, and got to County trials for Hockey Keeper.

Played a load of Rugby as prop for House matches at School.

Since then played, footie and skittles,for works teams and got back into sporty ways having not long done a Total Warrior/tough mudder thingy.

The only decent story is about the time when a teacher was not looking what was going on and took a discus to the head, thankfully nowt serious aside from concussion and,shedloads of blood.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't play anymore because I am far to old,fat, and broken, but I played Rugby at a decent standard until I was 19. Played American football after that for a couple of years. I played cricket at a pretty poor level until my early 30s. I was very much a poor man's Dermott Reeve but without the cocaine, but with added chips. I started umpiring a couple of years ago and I have spent most of this summer just gone umpiring Lincs League Premier and South Lincs and Border Premier games on Saturday's and various Sunday and weekday games including Lincoln League on a Sunday and County age group games. Hopefully given a decent year next year I should be umpiring ECB Premier League games in 2017.

Small world. I played in the Lincs League 2nd Division for Brigg Town between 1995 and 2010 and we had a Sunday team in the Lincoln League for a few of those years.

I used to call myself an all-rounder, but my batting was rubbish truth be told. I was able to get two 50's in my 15 year career batting in the lower order, both times against Grimsby Town.

I was a left arm bowler who could swing it which was pretty rare in our league for some reason and a lot of players struggled to bat against it.

So when I was on form I had a few good seasons.

Sadly, my sporting career actually peaked 19 long years ago.

In the 1996 season I somehow finished a second team game with bowling figures of 7 for 3.

That game obviously finished extremely early so I waltzed into the ground where our first team were playing with a Vince McMahon-esque swagger only to watch one of our 1st team batsman have an extraordinary innings getting 150 runs.

So I missed out on the Performance of The Season trophy, but did get the Young Player of The Season 1996.

Nineteen fucking years ago.  :unsure:

I play cricket to a pretty decent standard - South Yorshire Premier League. Used to play in the Yorkshire Premier League in my younger days (i'm now 33 years young), having played for Yorkshire age groups/academy and Northants and Derbyshire Second XI. I'm not one of those who claim injury cost me or other bullshit - in the end, I wasn't quite good enough to make it, but I gave it a good go. I'm a leg spinner/middle order batsman.

We've just finished third bottom of the league, so we've had a pretty shit season - but the leagues in Yorkshire are being restructed to try and create 4 seperate Premier Leagues - one of which involves Appleby Frodingham and Cleethorpes, which are from your neck of the woods Lion/Dopper. Cleethorpes are a very good side, speaking from the times i've played against them.

I also play football and badminton, but i'm utter wank at both. Wish this thread would have come up during the cricket season when I could have bored you all shitless with tales of our mediocrity, but you can't have it all.

I play eleven a side football as a centre back.

I have previously also played/competed in rugby, karate, tae kwon do, 5 a side football, 6 a side football.

Also apparntley within the next month out football team are doing a day where we are gonna play footgolf, as someone who enjoys driving ranges and golf courses and of course football this sounds like it is gonna be a great fun day.

• Paid Members

I tried go-karting once. I went down there the first day it opened right, and I did a couple of laps, I pulled over, the bloke that runs the thing comes over and said - Oi no professionals. I took my helmet off, I said I'm not a professional. He said - you're not a profesional? I said - No, he said - well you should be, if I was you I'd take up Formula One, and if you drive like that you'd probably be the best in the country! I said - I'm not interested I'm making shit loads at the library. I was bombing it round one time and someone left this ramp out. They all said, "If he hits that, he *is* dead". So I hit it and rolled over in the air a few times and they said, "Now he is *definitely* dead". Then I landed on my wheels and pulled over next to them and said, "What you worried about?"

• Paid Members

I know a couple of people who play for both Cleethorpes and App Frod. There is a fairly substantial rumour that the ECB want all teams playing in ECB Premier Leagues to play in the county they are in, so they might have to come back to Lincolnshire to play. That could be fun.

I played my first Lincs League game against Brigg Dopper. That was in 1988. I feel old now.

• Paid Members

I used to be a 100m runner to a very high standard, even at one point making it all of the way to national trials. Unfortunately, I was tripped on the track one day and did my knee in which pretty much ruined my running dreams, or so I thought at the time. I decided at that point to try something completely new and took up bobsleding with a few of my pals, who also happened to be very good sprinters. We even had the good fortune of being trained by a former bobsleding champion who agreed to help us out. We took the trip over to Canada for our first major tournament but were treated like idiots on account of none of us ever having actually been in a legitimate bobsled before. No worry though, our sprinting skills came to the fore and we were on course to set the national record later in the tournament before one of the blades fell off our sled, cruelly causing us to all fall flat on our arses. We returned home as heroes and upon going to the tournament again four years later, we were treated as equals.

• Paid Members

Echo the love. Really, really enjoyed that. It's good that you can look back on it fondly now, through all the shite it must've been one hell of a journey.

That suit, though. I can only presume the big black dude on the right in that pic is pissed because you nicked the suit off of him.

• Paid Members

Cheers Punky Brewster. I could write a book on it to be honest. Some proposterous goings on over the years. It's funny, on the rare occasion I've spoken to people with knowledge of the BritWres scene there seems to be some incredible parallels.

My biggest regret is sinking as much money as I did to keep us afloat. The killer blow was when we agreed to play an exhibition game in Germany back in 2009 - a week before the game, we had a dozen drop outs for various reasons, meaning tonnes of people took part for free just so we could honour the fixture. Muggins here offering the subsidy.

It's funny, I hear so many of the guys talk about how that was the greatest day of their football careers, but not a single one of them knows what price it came at.

Archived