All Time Favourite/Best Tag Team and Why?

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

early stampede Bulldog tag action pisses on stuff these days. They had the look & ability but no promo skills which to be fair didnt hokd them back like it could have.

A guilty fave of mine tho are Power & Glory! that SummerSlam wrecking of the Rockers really made them look like a force + that finisher was executed so perfect it looked like it killed Jannety! - still one of my fave finishers ever

• Paid Members

Slick had some stable with those, The Model and The African Dream.

Slick was no longer managing Martel by the point Herc & Roma were tagging. He did, however, manage Power & Glory, Akeem and The Warlord concurrently, until Akeem got the chop in the big cull of October 1990.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying they were the best of all time (for me that is Team 3D), but my favourite tag team in terms of how much I enjoyed their work while they were active was LAX.  Here are the reasons why:

1.  The wrestlers.  They functioned perfectly in a big man/little man tag team in Hernandez and Homicide.  Hernandez's limitations as a singles wrestler were exposed later in his TNA career, but in LAX he was allowed to stick to the things he did best, namely big power moves.  Similarly for Homicide I've never found him a standout singles wrestler, but he could bump well before tagging in Hernandez, and also hit a variety of exciting high flying/striking offensive moves which offered a nice contrast to Hernandez.  The 2 of them were distinct enough wrestlers that their styles complimented each other for the purposes of telling a story in a match.

2.  The gimmick.  On the surface it could be seen as cheap heat, but it was more than that, a group of Latin American's who were disenfranchised with the role of Latino's in society.  They were edgy, unique (for example they had their own entrance), and seemed to generate good, legitimate heat.  Worked much better as heels than faces.

3.  Konnan.  A fantastic mouthpiece for the group, what a great talker.  Shame he didn't last longer with them.

4.  Feuds.  None was better than the rivalry with AJ Styles and Chris Danneils which lead to the thrilling cage match at Bound for Glory 2006 which is my 2nd favourite TNA match ever.  They also had meaningful programs with AMW, Team 3D, and Beer money.  The mid to late 00's was a fantastic era for tag wrestling in TNA.

5.  Finishers.  Normally I'd want a tag team to have a tag team finisher, but the border toss and gringo killer were both 5 stars finishers that I would always be hoping that they would end a match with one.  Two of my favourite individual finishers ever in wrestling.

• Moderators

Dr Tom Prichard's hair? Resplendent in it's feathered glory. Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray's... well... everything? Wonderfully sleazy. From his ginger thinning mullet, to his pot belly, to his droopy stache, to his gap toothed grin, to the way he could grind those hips in such a way that if he was fucking a woman like that up against a wall her seminal fluids would give Jimmy trenchfoot due to their sheer volume. And those robes! And those trunks with the wings on the arses! And if that wasn't enough... THE MATCHES!

The original incarnation of SMW's Heavenly Bodies with Sweet Stan joining the Doctor of Roddy Piper impressions was good, but with Jimmy Del Ray it went into the stratosphere. Their chemistry was absolutely shit hot, and they had bonafide superbouts with the Rock and Rolls, the criminally underrated "Thugs" of Smothers and Anthony, Steiners, Smoking Gunns, had fun appearances in ECW and even got pure gold out of two of the most overrated wrestlers of all time in Lance Storm and Chris Jericho. A one armed Jericho no less. The Gigolo's superkick and moonsault block were things of beauty, only bettered by the dusty curls of the better Prichard brother. They could mix it up in wild brawls which wouldn't be out of place on a Monday night in the Mid South Coliseum, and could also do the more "Workrate" style, as well as just good meat and potatoes FIP style southern tags. Real all rounders. Jacks of all trades.

So yeah, my favourite team is the celestial heart throbs of wrestling, the Heavenly Bodies.

For me its between Edge and Christian and the N.O.A, I can't choose between them both had great matches, both one of the most entertaining parts of a stacked roster.

Just to throw something different out there , i had a lot of love for Miz and Morrison as a team, i think they really made the best of what seemed to be 2 directionless, completly different guys being thrown together. It helped that the dirt sheet was probably the only wwe internet show i bothered watching.

Honerable mention goes to the Steiners flattening jobbers.

Dr Tom Prichard's hair? Resplendent in it's feathered glory. Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray's... well... everything? Wonderfully sleazy. From his ginger thinning mullet, to his pot belly, to his droopy stache, to his gap toothed grin, to the way he could grind those hips in such a way that if he was fucking a woman like that up against a wall her seminal fluids would give Jimmy trenchfoot due to their sheer volume. And those robes! And those trunks with the wings on the arses! And if that wasn't enough... THE MATCHES!

The original incarnation of SMW's Heavenly Bodies with Sweet Stan joining the Doctor of Roddy Piper impressions was good, but with Jimmy Del Ray it went into the stratosphere. Their chemistry was absolutely shit hot, and they had bonafide superbouts with the Rock and Rolls, the criminally underrated "Thugs" of Smothers and Anthony, Steiners, Smoking Gunns, had fun appearances in ECW and even got pure gold out of two of the most overrated wrestlers of all time in Lance Storm and Chris Jericho. A one armed Jericho no less. The Gigolo's superkick and moonsault block were things of beauty, only bettered by the dusty curls of the better Prichard brother. They could mix it up in wild brawls which wouldn't be out of place on a Monday night in the Mid South Coliseum, and could also do the more "Workrate" style, as well as just good meat and potatoes FIP style southern tags. Real all rounders. Jacks of all trades.

So yeah, my favourite team is the celestial heart throbs of wrestling, the Heavenly Bodies.

Theres a great story on the Youshoot Nash timeline one where he tells a story about a girl at a hotel who got gimmic'd, had one half of her head shaved and her 'period' smeared all over the hallway......all down to........The Gigolo!

so we can add deviance and sadism to his sleaziness as well!

been said before but has there ever been anyine sleazier?

• Paid Members

Theres a great story on the Youshoot Nash timeline one where he tells a story about a girl at a hotel who got gimmic'd, had one half of her head shaved and her 'period' smeared all over the hallway......all down to........The Gigolo!

so we can add deviance and sadism to his sleaziness as well!

been said before but has there ever been anyine sleazier?

Yeah... that is a great story :glare:  fucking hell!

Archived