All Time Favourite/Best Tag Team and Why?

Liam O'Rourke

Just to throw something different out there , i had a lot of love for Miz and Morrison as a team, i think they really made the best of what seemed to be 2 directionless, completly different guys being thrown together. It helped that the dirt sheet was probably the only wwe internet show i bothered watching.

That's a good call as well. It's a shame Miz and Morrison were in an era when there was fuck all to do, because they were great. It was funny, when they were put together it was like Morrison was getting saddled with a no-hoper, but it quickly became apparent that Miz was the star of the team. They ended up being the best thing on the show, getting used on all three brands. If I was building a fantasy roster, I'd definitely have these two in my tag division.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to thank everybody in this thread for the awesome suggestions - the podcast discussing a great many of the Tag Teams mentioned in this thread (as well as reading your reasons for picking them) is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/i3h5p2/SCGRadio41-AllTimeFavouriteorBestTagTeam.mp3

This was a really fun trip down memory lane this week, talking about the dynamics of making great teams work, excellent matches, and discussing your suggestions such as The Hart Foundation, The Steiners, Tully and Arn, The Road Warriors, Demolition, The Midnight Express, The Rock and Roll Express, The British Bulldogs, Misawa & Kobashi, Kawada & Taue, Hardyz, Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, and many more. A really fun show this week, check it out and let me know what you think!

• Paid Members

Random thoughts :

* I am now stuck with the image of Scott Steiner suplexing opponents by their foreskin. Cheers.

* I regret not saying more on "favourites" because my God... the Hollywood Blondes. Glad they came up.

* Nailed it on the Dudleys. While I don't particularly agree on the "cheap heat" idea - if you've got a building rabid to see you get killed, I don't care how you've done it, you've done your job - but their appearances on ECW shows seemed interminable for their long intro promos, meandering matches and just the sheer length of time they were out there. Working the Hardys saved them in the WWF, they were going nowhere beforehand, and once the (admittedly sensational) run with the Hardys and Edge & Christian reached the end of its natural shelf life, they became stale real quick.

* If you're not aware, Bill "Ax" Eadie filed a lawsuit against the WWF in 1991, I have a feeling that the lingering bad blood there might be something to do with the fact the company never feels obliged to mention them much when they bang on about the golden era.

* We all loved the Rockers, but I'm with Chase on "it was all about the Hart Foundation." The problem I always had with the Rockers was, it always felt pointless getting behind them, because when it came to the big match, they always seemed to fucking lose.

* If you all want to just admit to a slight mancrush on Sweet Stan, I'm not going to judge you. He was a dreamboat.

* Chase's "NO" (Acolytes) and Carl's "BULLSHIT" (Outlaws) both made me smile. Characterization, making the people make noise, fine. But I'm with you guys in that there aren't any actual Outlaws matches I can be bothered to go back and watch, so they belong nowhere near "best tag team ever."

* If we're going to go for the mention of a Japanese traditional alliance of two singles guys permitted to go on top in a tag team and get a run with the belts, as a gigantic New Japan fan, I absolutely lived and died by the run of Tanahashi & Nakamura. I'm not going to bang on, that either resonates or it doesn't. New Japan wasn't easy to watch at the time, but those two young lads together were the balls. And for a body of work..... Christ, Marufuji & KENTA. Every defence was fucking astonishing. They had two years with those belts but always made me think they were going to lose... then won. The two matches where they won and lost the belts were both blinders and they tore it up with numerous opponents.

Overall, great show. Nailed so many of my favourites from the eras I was most into my rasslin.

Thanks for the great feedback. Marufuji & KENTA! I literally screamed at my monitor reading that, I can't believe nobody mentioned them, Christ they were a great duo.

I'm half and half on the Dudleyz - I just feel the idea of "they had so much heat in ECW" feels overblown to a degree, like that merits them getting so much time when a lot of what they did was horrible. Shane Douglas got ridiculous heat and got into fights with fans in ECW as well, and in both cases that makes them great hateable characters, scurge of the earth type of thing, but I don't see it balancing out the fact that I dreaded watching the Dudleyz in ECW regardless. And yeh, considering they had such a short window of being truly over and relevant, they hung around everywhere for ages without making a difference to anything. The flipside is I thought they were fantastic for that period of relevance.

Screw it, I'll do it - Stan Lane is just fucking gorgeous.

Can't just whittle it down to one fave. 

- The Hart Foundation - the technical skill of the Hitman and raw power of the Anvil. Plus Jim had the maniacal laugh & was kinda wacky, whilst Bret had the cool dude thing down so you had two different gimmicks but package them together & they worked well since you had the faster guy with the more powerful one

- Demolition - OG version (well 2nd OG as Smash was a different guy at first one of the Moondogs IIRC) of Ax & Smash (Barry Darsow) In hindsight their ring gears a bit weird, but they had the cool Kiss type face paint, were powerful guys altho they could have done with a better finisher but the decapitation elbow is kinda cool I guess. 

- Stenier Bros - suplex suplex suplex, stenierline, Scotty doing the 'rana. Probably one of the best tag teams of the late 80's & 90's, would have liked them to have been in the 80's WWF as they been a top tag team there for sure

- The Rockers - I think in the 80's big guy dominated landscape the Rockers were like a breathe of fresh air with their high flying moves, colorful ring gear & such. Deserved the tag belts.  

- The Road Warriors - pure power wrestlers, masters of the squash match. TELL 'EM HAWK!!....OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH WHATTAAAAAAAAAAAA RRRRRRRUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH! (nuff said)

- Brain Busters - Former Horsemen in the WWF, managed by The Brain. Had a short but good run, won the tag belts. Shame they didn't stay around longer to solidify their place as one of the best tag teams of the 80's

- Dangerous Alliance (Arn & Bobby Eaton) - Another entry for Arn, solid tag team, Anderson in another top WCW faction. When you think about it he was part of the 4 Horsemen, The Heenan Family & The Dangerous Alliance. 

- The Dudley Boys - ECW Alumni and multi-time tag team champs. Thing they hold the all time record number of tag team championships (WWE/WCW/ECW/TNA/NJPW the list goes on)

- The British Bulldogs - similar kinda make-up of the Harts, with the power guy and high flyer. One of the top tag teams of the 80's and if Dynamite didn't get hurt & didn't have backstage heat with the Rougeau's that run could have last longer. 

Other faves of mine which definitely are worthy of being in the running are E&C, Harlem Heat, Doom (Hacksaw Butch Reed & Ron Simmons), Natural Disasters (two big guys who could work, 'Quake is an under rated worker IMO), New Age Outlaws (Oh you didn't know?!), Hardy Boyz, Hollywood Blondes (WCW had a license to print money there and WCW...well, they WCW'd it up and broke up the team), The Freebirds, Midnight Express, Rock & Roll Express, Fab Rougeay Bros, Money Inc and THE MEGA POWERS~!

Archived