Who is/will be in The Hall of Fame that shouldn't?

FLips

If we pretend that the Hall of Fame was a one wrestler a year thing with the absolute cream of the crop, there are loads that shouldn't be in yet. It's like saying who doesn't deserve a spot at WrestleMania? The thing's got a main event, or a couple of main events, and an undercard, and that means lots of guys below Stone Cold's level are making it.

And JBL was great in APA and throughout his WWE title reign.

Jesus, it's a good job I'm not a mod. That's a ban right there!

I thought he was shit. I stopped watching SmackDown because he was on it, and he was shit. His matches were shit, and his jump from half of a tag team that wasn't getting near the belts ever again to WWE Champion was utterly retarded to me. In hindsight some of his promos, interviews and angles were amusing, but if he gets to go in, then anyone that won a World title needs to go in too, because I don't see what else he achieved of note.

Longest WWE title run in Smackdown history, won pretty much every midcard title that was there in his time (IC, US, Euro, Hardcore, tag).For achievements and longevity, few have him beat. For getting over a memorable character -- two characters at that -- and historical significance with being the guy who lost to Cena's first title win, he's up there too.

Everyone who won a world title except Benoit should go in anyway though, really.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

15 years time R-Truth will be in the Hall of Fame. They'll be playing that clip in his video on Raw where he says "there better not be no spiders in that case" and the fanbase of the time will be going "well deserved, big star from the glory days of 2011."

Although I think "I'm sorry. I'm a good R-Truth now" might be my favourite catchphrase of the last 15 years, so good for him.

Jesus, it's a good job I'm not a mod. That's a ban right there!

I thought he was shit. I stopped watching SmackDown because he was on it, and he was shit. His matches were shit, and his jump from half of a tag team that wasn't getting near the belts ever again to WWE Champion was utterly retarded to me. In hindsight some of his promos, interviews and angles were amusing, but if he gets to go in, then anyone that won a World title needs to go in too, because I don't see what else he achieved of note.

I don't know how you can call yourself a wrestling fan.

Everyone who won a world title except Benoit should go in anyway though, really.

There aren't many I wouldn't want to see go in. Even Khali has a good case for it. Swagger's about the only one I thought was completely shite.

15 years time R-Truth will be in the Hall of Fame. They'll be playing that clip in his video on Raw where he says "there better not be no spiders in that case" and the fanbase of the time will be going "well deserved, big star from the glory days of 2011."

And I'd be one of them. I love some of the stuff Truth's done. One of the funniest wrestlers they've ever had. 

• Paid Members
Longest WWE title run in Smackdown history, won pretty much every midcard title that was there in his time (IC, US, Euro, Hardcore, tag).

Fair enough, I always manage to forget about the month a piece he had with the European, United States and Intercontinental titles. That said, his midcard exploits are nothing that dozens of other guys didn't also achieve. The length of his shitty title reign - longest since Diesel at the time - I begrudgingly accept probably makes him worthy of going in, if they're letting a Rikishi in. But I'm not ever going to be capable of believing he truly deserves it... because I don't think he deserved a single day with that belt, at the time they gave it him. He was only slightly below David Arquette on the "oh, fuck off" scale for me.

• Paid Members

I've softened on JBL over time. I still think he was a bit shit, but nowhere near as awful as I originally thought. One could argue he was a good enough top-line villain to make Cena's WrestleMania moment and welcome him to the permanent main event. He needed a lot of protection and cover to prevent people from getting too fed-up with him instead of just hating him, but he was meant to be a sleazy chicken-shit heel anyway, so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

I've softened on JBL over time. I still think he was a bit shit, but nowhere near as awful as I originally thought. One could argue he was a good enough top-line villain to make Cena's WrestleMania moment and welcome him to the permanent main event. He needed a lot of protection and cover to prevent people from getting too fed-up with him instead of just hating him, but he was meant to be a sleazy chicken-shit heel anyway, so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

The thing with JBL too is the timing. The Internet fanbase had spent the previous couple of years obsessively hating Triple H, but Hunter had just put Benoit and Shelton over and was still a few months away from burying Orton, so that hatred needed a new target. JBL, who had 0 workrates and got a push out of nowhere because he's mates with the higher-ups, was just the man. And then he took the title from Eddie, who had loads of workrates and hadn't even got a proper run with the belt. For those of us of a certain generation, you couldn't help but hate Bradshaw in the summer of 2004. Especially if, like me, you were at university and rarely watched full shows and mostly kept up with wrestling by reading recaps on newzsitez. If Rick Scaia and Scott Keith types said he was the worst man ever and didn't deserve the push, who was I to not blindly believe them? I fell in love with him while watching that Smackdown after Undertaker chokeslammed him through the limo, though. He was so much fun, and wasn't afraid to look the idiot and do the Honky Tonk Man job of the heel who sneaks away with the belt and makes people desperate to see someone beat him for it. I was firmly on Team JBL by the time WrestleMania 21 came around -- although that was when I was a "Cena sux" divot anyway.

He was pretty rubbish after the Judgment Day match with Cena, mind.

As fantasy feuds go, I've never thought of this before but 2004 JBL vs 2013 Daniel Bryan would be superb.

• Moderators

Ahh. I remember how he was vilified by the IWC with the whole One Night Stand thing as well (although tbf he did really lamp the Meanie).

I hated him at first too, and then he eventually won me over. The character was just so damn entertaining even though I wasn't nuts about his matches, and then eventually I also grew to appreciate him in the ring too.

They would have hardsly anyone to put in if they kept standards too high. Christian should definitely go in solo. Bulldog should definitely go in too. When it comes to guys going in that I think shouldn't it's a tough call. Swagger is absolute dogshit so the fact he won a title and could well go in in x amount of years is probably the main person I wouldn't like to see go in who likely will.

• Paid Members

The thing with JBL too is the timing. The Internet fanbase had spent the previous couple of years obsessively hating Triple H, but Hunter had just put Benoit and Shelton over and was still a few months away from burying Orton, so that hatred needed a new target. JBL, who had 0 workrates and got a push out of nowhere because he's mates with the higher-ups, was just the man. And then he took the title from Eddie, who had loads of workrates and hadn't even got a proper run with the belt. For those of us of a certain generation, you couldn't help but hate Bradshaw in the summer of 2004. Especially if, like me, you were at university and rarely watched full shows and mostly kept up with wrestling by reading recaps on newzsitez. If Rick Scaia and Scott Keith types said he was the worst man ever and didn't deserve the push, who was I to not blindly believe them? I fell in love with him while watching that Smackdown after Undertaker chokeslammed him through the limo, though. He was so much fun, and wasn't afraid to look the idiot and do the Honky Tonk Man job of the heel who sneaks away with the belt and makes people desperate to see someone beat him for it. I was firmly on Team JBL by the time WrestleMania 21 came around -- although that was when I was a "Cena sux" divot anyway.

He was pretty rubbish after the Judgment Day match with Cena, mind.

As fantasy feuds go, I've never thought of this before but 2004 JBL vs 2013 Daniel Bryan would be superb.

Yeah, I remember what it was like to live in the Smark Ages, I was pretty bad for that for a couple of years. It's weird, actually, because I rather enjoyed his brief run as the Stan Hansen-style bad-ass cowboy, with lasso and hat and arse-kicking, between the APA and JBL. They pushed him quite hard as a guy that the main event really didn't want to have to tangle with, too.

I guess it's a testament to his performance ability that he could go from being a bad-ass that people paid to protect them to being a chickenshit who needed his cabinet to get him out of countless sticky situations for nearly a year.

He was still a bit shit, though. I'm not saying he had to have workrate matches, but he wasn't particularly interesting unless he was booked in something with special stips, which is not something you can have every single time. And forget his second run, with that shit feud with Jericho (which, to be fair, was as much down to Jericho being a damp squib as much as himself) and whatever meh he did afterwards.

• Paid Members

Great sypnosis from JBL. I quite liked Bradshaw from the APA and I was behind him during that little singles push on Raw. So I was a voice of reason here when there was a shit load of outrage that they turned him, completely changed his character and then took the World title off EDDIE FUCKING GUERRERO and put it on this guy within about 4 minutes.

He became a hoot and it became cool to pretend you were one of the 2 or 3 people who didn't cry originally. Like how there are about 30,000 Hull City fans who claim they were one of the hardcore 4,500 in the mid 90's.

I got bored of him eventually but he was a blast throughout that run. It's a pity he doesn't have that commitment to being a heel these days. Otherwise he wouldn't be a chore to listen to.

• Paid Members

Great sypnosis from JBL. I quite liked Bradshaw from the APA and I was behind him during that little singles push on Raw. So I was a voice of reason here when there was a shit load of outrage that they turned him, completely changed his character and then took the World title off EDDIE FUCKING GUERRERO and put it on this guy within about 4 minutes.

He became a hoot and it became cool to pretend you were one of the 2 or 3 people who didn't cry originally. Like how there are about 30,000 Hull City fans who claim they were one of the hardcore 4,500 in the mid 90's.

I got bored of him eventually but he was a blast throughout that run. It's a pity he doesn't have that commitment to being a heel these days. Otherwise he wouldn't be a chore to listen to.

I was only 14 at the time he became champion, and even when Eddie was champion I never thought of him as a main eventer or big star, same with Rey. JBL however, I immediately bought into as a champion because he was a great talker, great heel and a 6+ foot hoss.

• Paid Members

JBL is odd for me. I loved his 2004 stuff looking back and around 2005 really began to warm to him. When I think about him though at the moment it's for his 2015 cunt commentator role or the mental shit he was spouting on 9/11 Smackdown.

Archived