Wrestlers you WANT to like/dislike, but just can't?

air_raid

• Paid Members

OK, this will probably die on it's arse, but what the hell.

I got the idea for this question when I saw that my best mate was following Big Show on Twitter, and just thought "Ugh, why??" because for me, he's not contributed anything interesting for years, hasn't had a decent match for years (longer if I discount the Sheamus anomaly) and in general, I just can't imagine ever being interested in anything he does, ever again. I had a look at the lummox's page (Christ knows why) and saw that his two most recent tweets were thanking people for birthday messages, and telling people where he's going to be for a meet and greet, and I remembered what a nice bloke he always comes across as. This made me slightly sad, and in a way wish I gave more of a shit about his WWE career, because he's obviously an alright sort.

So, people, are there any wrestlers that you really wish that you liked, but just can't, for whatever reason? Conversely, is there anyone that you really really enjoy (past or present) but really wish that you didn't?

I really hate the fact that I love, and have always loved, CM Punk. He's really an utter bellend when you get down to it, and far worse than being tarred with the IRC/internet smark brush, is the knowledge that he's a complete dickhead. And yet, I loved his work and always found myself wanting him to win.

Anyone else? If you've secretly been spending the last twenty years thinking "I just don't get it" as to why the rest of us love Sid, WISHING that you shared our love of the Master and Ruler of the World but not managing to, this is a good time to out yourself.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I'd probably go with Ric Flair. I've tried to get into his work, I really have, I know he's supposed to be one of the best of all time... but I'm just not that fussed. Royal Rumble 92 was great, but otherwise… the thread title sums it up. I want to like him, but just can't!

• Paid Members

I've never got the appreciation of The Miz as anything more than a solid midcard talent. I hated his main event run, bar that time Lawler was dragging him to the best matches he'll ever have. Part of the reason it was good was because you could believe The Miz had a chance fighting an old bloke.

One of the more ludicrous things I've seen watching wrestling was when Miz did his Stone Cold Steve Austin face when Lesnar stormed the ring. Of course, Lesnar acted great by making Miz look like a wee boy and even threw a chair at him to emphasise the point. In that moment I got what Kevin Nash was on about when he said Miz winning the belt "exposed the business".

Some folk on here were going on about what a top babyface he'd be too. Never understood that one either.

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho for me, I'm more than aware that his last couple of runs have been dross and that he's a self-obsessed twat of the highest order. He'd probably sell out his granny if it meant his shite band's album went double-platinum. But despite all of that he was still my favourite as a kid and he was always the guy I'd go when we were jumping about someone's garden playing wrestling so I just can't bring myself to say "sorry, mate but you're a cunt"

On the other side of the coins there's Sheamus. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a lot of his matches and appreciate his style but I just think he looks ridiculous, his promos are normally shite and the way he calls people "fella" fills me with an anger that I know is unnecessary. One of my most ffw'd guys unless he's in a match with someone else I want to see.

I'd probably go with Ric Flair. I've tried to get into his work, I really have, I know he's supposed to be one of the best of all time... but I'm just not that fussed. Royal Rumble 92 was great, but otherwise… the thread title sums it up. I want to like him, but just can't!

Completely agree, spent a lot of time trying to 'get' Flair but I can't make myself care.

Also Daniel Bryan. I want to like him like everyone else does but i just find him, well, boring and uninteresting

I'd love to like Sheamus but I just see him and wonder where Dr Bunsen Honeydew is. Cannot remember ever enjoying one of his matches and his promos often make me want to be violently sick

Which is a real shame as when I bumped into him in Brighton when they were in town in November he was an absolute gent

• Paid Members

Daniel Bryan. I used to love him, but now I just can't stand him. Nothing to do with him personally, I really want to like him but its the shitty fans in the last year or so that have turned me against him. As soon as he got added to a no.1 contenders match for WM my first reaction was 'for fucks sake'

Archived