Wrestlers you WANT to like/dislike, but just can't?

air_raid

• Paid Members

Oh they absolutely had him positioned like that but it was a silly belief to think the fans would take to him en masse. "Coz da ting is, fella" other than being a solid hand in the ring and having a good work ethic he doesn't really have any other top babyface qualities. He looks daft, sounds worse and his delivery of face promos (granted, they scripting is equally to blame) was horribly forced and cringey to "JBL is poopy" level.I too hope they bring him back as a mid to upper card heel, he's a lot more believable and tolerable in that role.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I always thought Undertaker was over-rated. Too slow & boring. And his American Badass gimmick was so lame. He could be carried to a good match, but most of his matches have been absolute stinkers.

Flair bores me too - I know he's "supposed" to be good - but I always thought his matches were boring and all through the 90's onwards he just had saggy tits & a stupid haircut.

The problem with Sheamus feels like overexposure, because he's had so much TV time over the last five years that you just get sick of him doing the same thing every night. But he's like Orton in the sense that even if he goes away for six months, two weeks after he's back it feels like he's been there a hundred years straight.

Like much of the roster, he'd be helped greatly if they had a few more "what can do with him tonight other than put him in a match?" discussions in the writers room.

Flair bores me too - I know he's "supposed" to be good - but I always thought his matches were boring and all through the 90's onwards he just had saggy tits & a stupid haircut.

I had the same issue with Flair. I think the problem with growing up in the 90's was Flair was always put over as a legend and got massive cheers wherever he went. But I had not seen his body of work in the 80's when he was in his prime, so he just looked like an old bloke who everyone in America liked but I didn't know why. That mid-90's haircut was criminal, my nan had the same look.

• Paid Members

I had the same issue with Flair. I think the problem with growing up in the 90's was Flair was always put over as a legend and got massive cheers wherever he went. But I had not seen his body of work in the 80's when he was in his prime, so he just looked like an old bloke who everyone in America liked but I didn't know why. That mid-90's haircut was criminal, my nan had the same look.

Exactly - his peak was way before my time and it's hard to go backwards. I started watching in 1987 - but it was just WWF I watched (we had less channels in Ireland) and I was only 8 years old at the time. I had no idea there was a WCW or NWA until he appeared in WWF in 1992. Then I stopped watching shortly after that anyway when WWF moved to SKY Sports and I grew out of wrestling. Didn't watch properly again until 1998, although I always had a general idea of what was going on.

But this is what Ric Flair looked like when I watched wrestling:

19950521_hogan_savage_flair_vader.jpg

And no matter how hard I try to go back & watch old matches of his, I get bored after 10mins of what I know is probably a 60min plodding match - I just can't do it. The production was always terrible & gloomy/dark too in WCW and old NWA stuff, which didn't help.

But even at his peak, he was flabby with saggy tits. I just never got it.

ric_flair2.jpg

agree with herbie on flair. I also could never get that his promo's were good.

I really wanted to like Bret but couldn't, despite all the talk all i could see was him doing the same few moves to win a match (backbreaker, drop from second turnbuckle, kick and shooter) just bored the crap out of me. 

You can also add Sting to the list just a yawn fest and bad promos.

Archived