Wrestlers you WANT to like/dislike, but just can't?

air_raid

• Moderators

Who raves about the divas being good? You are clearly talking to the wrong people!

For all the people who don't get flair, if you tried to get to like him by watching matches then you've done it wrong. You have to buy into the man, and then somehow you just connect with all these matches that are seemingly the same shit every time. Watch the promos and read about the feuds, and read his biography. (Or don't bother, because that is admittedly a lot of effort for something you don't like)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Kurt Angle is a pain in the arse. Everytime I think he's sorting himself out, he exposes himself as a horrible mess. It's hard when one of your favourite wrestlers ever is such a hardcore fuck up. I should really know better, but it's Kurt Angle the man that won Olympic gold with a broken frickin' neck.

Who raves about the divas being good? You are clearly talking to the wrong people! 

Loads of people rate the NXT divas. Just check out the NXT thread on here. Or Twitter during those live specials, or pretty much any NXT reports/reviews. They don't interest me at all though.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places and most people agree with me!

• Paid Members

For all the people who don't get flair, if you tried to get to like him by watching matches then you've done it wrong. You have to buy into the man

This, 100%.

If people don't understand the love, try watching a straight forward introduction without the need for a 10 disk set.

I suggest the 4 horsemen dvd. Couple of hours doc, featuring a good chunk of flair pre WCW and WWE. Its the early stuff featured in a certain way which really made me understand the love.

Once you do, you really fully appreciate the demise and real life story soooo much more too.

That doc is a great watch fir a novice in my opinion, in regards to that era, territories, and horsemen in general.

• Moderators

Loads of people rate the NXT divas. Just check out the NXT thread on here. Or Twitter during those live specials, or pretty much any NXT reports/reviews. They don't interest me at all though.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places and most people agree with me!

Sorry, I didn't realise that was the case. Don't worry - everyone else is wrong and you're right. They're garbage.

Tomoaki Honma

Crowds love him, he plays the underdog well and his matches are usually at least solid but still once the bell rings all I see a complete bum who never wins. Doesn't matter how good his matches are now because I know the result before the bell rings and just wait for the finish with no emotional investment at all.

Oh he did get the pin in a throwaway tag not too long back but that's it.

• Paid Members

This one might get me in trouble:

Shawn Michaels

I want to like him but I just don't. I appreciate completely that he is fantastic and probably the best wrestler ever. But I just don't fucking like him. As a heel he made me want to turn the TV off and as a babyface he made me want to watch the heel beat him up. I usually zone out during his matches and I don't even compeltely know why. I suspect it's because I've always liked cool badass wrestlers (HBK has never been this) or goofy funny ones (HBK has never been funny). I've loved quite a few of his matches (Jericho ladder match, the first Undertaker WM match, Flair retirement, return against Triple H, Hell In A Cell 7 casket with Undertaker) and obviously he was incredible in the month long build up to his retirement match but for the most part I don't give a fuck. I just really dislike the man. I wouldn't never rewatch anything he's done.

Shawn Michaels

I struggle with Shawn - I've never really liked 'him' but always enjoyed his matches.

For all the people who don't get flair, if you tried to get to like him by watching matches then you've done it wrong. You have to buy into the man

If people don't understand the love, try watching a straight forward introduction without the need for a 10 disk set.

I suggest the 4 horsemen dvd. Couple of hours doc, featuring a good chunk of flair pre WCW and WWE. Its the early stuff featured in a certain way which really made me understand the love.

Once you do, you really fully appreciate the demise and real life story soooo much more too.

I think my problem with Flair is that my first regular exposure to him was late 90's WCW and I just found him annoying. His matches didn't interest me and his promos seemed to be shouting and shrieking and made little sense. By the time I got around to 'pre WWF' Flair I already didn't like him so it made it harder to get into.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels

I want to like him but I just don't. I appreciate completely that he is fantastic and probably the best wrestler ever. But I just don't fucking like him. As a heel he made me want to turn the TV off and as a babyface he made me want to watch the heel beat him up. I usually zone out during his matches and I don't even compeltely know why. I suspect it's because I've always liked cool badass wrestlers (HBK has never been this) or goofy funny ones (HBK has never been funny). I've loved quite a few of his matches (Jericho ladder match, the first Undertaker WM match, Flair retirement, return against Triple H, Hell In A Cell 7 casket with Undertaker) and obviously he was incredible in the month long build up to his retirement match but for the most part I don't give a fuck. I just really dislike the man. I wouldn't never rewatch anything he's done.

I'd go along with Michaels. I enjoy his stuff a lot more than it sounds like you do and I'm a fan of the cool heel he was between mid 97 and the 98 Rumble but I just really hate the guy. A big part is my undying love for Bret Hart (despite everything which probably makes him a good answer to the reverse question). I'm also too aware of how completely false he is. He's such a massive cunt but rarely seems to get called on it.

I just cannot give the credit that others do as a real mega worker. I don't see it. Great? Yes. Better than Bret? Never.

Santino.

Goofy, over the top, camp and i bloody loved it!

The 2011 Rumble and particulary the 2012 Elimination Chamber which he had no right to be in the final 2, i was gutted when he didnt win! Santino Marella made me think he was going to win the Rumble and the World Title within 12 months... this was at least 3 years after he had lost all relavence.

The Honk-a-Meter, he was a heel but got huuuuge face reactions.

I really should hate Santino, if he was a character in a soap i would despise him, but i love (and miss) the bastard.

• Paid Members

A big part is my undying love for Bret Hart (despite everything which probably makes him a good answer to the reverse question).

I nearly mentioned Bret in my original post ; loving a guy with such a massively over-inflated ego who takes himself far too seriously gets me constant ribbing from my mate, the massive Shawn fan, in particular, accusations of taking myself far too seriously "just like your hero." And he never lets me forget that I admit taking into consideration the bodies of work, Shawn was objectively the better of the two. Life would be so much simpler if the Hitman wasn't my hero, but he was.

I'll say Shawn Michaels too. I do appreciate a selection of his matches, but, for the most part, I find his style off-putting. When Bret comes to the ring, I think, "Here's the boss, coming to take care of business," and his matches are hard-fought battles. With Shawn, the impression is generally that he's a tosser, and his selling is ridiculous.

• Paid Members

Sorry, I didn't realise that was the case. Don't worry - everyone else is wrong and you're right. They're garbage.

Myself I think it's a bit of a mixed bag but defo think Charlotte could be something special.

• Paid Members

I'd love to like Sheamus but I just see him and wonder where Dr Bunsen Honeydew is. Cannot remember ever enjoying one of his matches and his promos often make me want to be violently sick

Which is a real shame as when I bumped into him in Brighton when they were in town in November he was an absolute gent

Probably my biggest one too , just don't get excited for his matches in any way.

Archived