WrestleMania XXXI Discussion thread *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for Punk, he never got the mania main event he was desperate for and there was barely any backlash, Bryan has already had a whole mania changed to accommodate him so that he could look like the man for the evening and the fans are rebelling because he isn't getting a second one.

I'm not saying Bryan should headline every year. But this year, as the most over guy in the company, then yeah he he should. They're not listening to the fans for the second year in a row. Who knows, by next year Reigns might be in that spot, but he definitely isn't now.

I'm not saying Bryan should headline every year. But this year, as the most over guy in the company, then yeah he he should. They're not listening to the fans for the second year in a row. Who knows, by next year Reigns might be in that spot, but he definitely isn't now.

But they did listen to the fans last year, albeit 6 weeks after the Rumble. Daniel Bryan wrestled TWICE at Wrestlemania, and defeated Evolution and every stooge they had via run-ins across both matches, and it still isn't enough.

Bryan could've been in every match last year, won them all, beat the streak, tapped Cena out, pinned HHH in under a minute, and won all the belts, but it still wouldn't have been enough for "the fans."

Cena is the most over full time guy too, and he didn't headline last year and won't this year. They want to make new investments. They did with Bryan last year and got burnt.

Plus it's clear just from message boards that Reigns has lost a ton of momentum in a year, chances are he'll have none next year. It's probably now or never for him.

But they did listen to the fans last year, albeit 6 weeks after the Rumble. Daniel Bryan wrestled TWICE at Wrestlemania, and defeated Evolution and every stooge they had via run-ins across both matches, and it still isn't enough.

Bryan could've been in every match last year, won them all, beat the streak, tapped Cena out, pinned HHH in under a minute, and won all the belts, but it still wouldn't have been enough for "the fans."

But he got injured pretty much straight after so didn't even get a proper run. And even after he did win the belt they put him in a daft feud with Kane!

There is a good case for Bryan headlining Mania. Yeah he did it last year, but that was immediately followed by the two worst things that could happen in his life, losing his father and potentionally having his career end in a very short amount of time. He reached the top but never had a chance to enjoy himself there. Losing a parent and potentioanlly losing your life's work at the same time is something which anyone could sympathise with. If he isn't in the main event then Ziggler is the best choice for him

I like the idea of another Battle Royal, perhaps maybe not another Andre one though. They could do it yearly and dedicate each year to a dead legend. Obvious choice for this year would be the Macho Man Memorial Battle Royal.

He was lucky to even get what he did last year. How many guys outside of Cena, Taker, Batista, Orton, The Rock, HHH & HBK, say over the last 10 years, have actually main evented Wrestlemania even once? Edge got one at Mania 24 against Taker, and Miz got his at Mania 27.

Guys like Bryan aren't supposed to main event the big one, whether that's right or wrong is a different discussion for a different day.

• Awards Moderator

The Macho Man Memorial Battle Royal would have to end with the winner trying to pin the runner up before remembering what kind of match it was. A loving homage.

Even if they did do 'Bryan overcomes it all to win everything... Again!' at Mania, I bet he'd end up having to deal with Kane and Big Show for several months afterwards. I can't see much excitement for what he'd do AFTER winning the title again, bar matches with Rollins, who you'd probably want to match with Reigns whether or not he'd main evented at Mania.

• Paid Members

Even if they did do 'Bryan overcomes it all to win everything... Again!' at Mania, I bet he'd end up having to deal with Kane and Big Show for several months afterwards.

Isn't that the case for every top face though? I fully expect that even if they do a spectacular job of building up Roman Reigns and he comes out of Wrestlemania looking like a megastar, he'll still be feuding with Kane and Big Show by mid-April or early-May.

Guys like Bryan aren't supposed to main event the big one, whether that's right or wrong is a different discussion for a different day.

He was the most over guy on the roster. Of course guys like him are supposed to main event WrestleMania.

He's arguably the most over guy on the roster today, what will the excuse be if he doesn't headline this year?

Fuck off was Miz the most over guy on the roster at Wrestlemania 27 either, he wasn't even the most over heel.

Benoit main evented Mania 20 and there's no way he was more over than HBK either.

Daniel Bryan (whilst being very over) was losing the opening match at the Royal Rumble, being carted out on a stretcher yet somehow expected by those in attendance to be in the Rumble match. He then lost what is supposed to be "the last chance to main event Wrestlemania" at the Elimination Chamber match. Then there was the rumoured Sheamus match, which Bryan himself admitted was the plan for him. There was never a plan for him to main event, over or not. WWE just shit themselves because they didn't want Batista/Orton shat on, so they added Bryan as a make-good gesture.

If he didn't pick up that injury, he would've faced Kane again at Payback, then probably Batista & Orton at the coming events before being put away by Lesnar, and that would've been the end of it. I couldn't imagine him winning the belt back again if all the rumoured plans had actually taken place. Lesnar would've taken the belt, which then brings us to present day. Fans would still be pissed because Reigns is going to BryanMania instead of Bryan himself.

I fully expect The Bryan Rumble to take place every January until he retires/is future endeavoured.

• Awards Moderator

Even if they did do 'Bryan overcomes it all to win everything... Again!' at Mania, I bet he'd end up having to deal with Kane and Big Show for several months afterwards.

Isn't that the case for every top face though? I fully expect that even if they do a spectacular job of building up Roman Reigns and he comes out of Wrestlemania looking like a megastar, he'll still be feuding with Kane and Big Show by mid-April or early-May.
You're right, yes. It's a problem for any top face who ends Mania by winning the big one. The inevitable spring feud with one of those two is a deflator, and potentially a killer, even if you're just a face coming back from injury. It stunted Bryan's momentum last year, I remember Edge's big babyface return from injury spluttering because they stuck him with Kane, and didn't Benoit get relegated to the midcard as Champion after they'd finished his rematch stuff with HBK and HHH?

I just wonder whether that's more of a killer for Bryan than it might be for Reigns. I've tried a few times to write the next sentence explaining why that might be the case but each time I keep thinking 'nah, that's what they'd do with Reigns as well', so I may be wrong, or I'm just holding out for them having options for Reigns' opponents that they may not consider for Bryan. The likes of Cena or Wyatt could help Roman out as a new champ but Bryan's done his thing with both of them, for example.

But yeah, more likely you're absolutely right and Reigns would go from beating Lesnar to selling for Kane and Show again within a month.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's necessarily the case this year. I mean, it might be, but it shouldn't be because you've got Rollins, Wyatt and Rusev to work with on the heel side as well as Cena and Orton as established faces who won't over shadow a face champion. if it was Reigns, you've got his history with Ambrose to exploit while Bryan can work Ziggler too. For stuff to keep you ticking over on TV, you've got Luke Harper and Sheamus to utilise.

Put kane & Show well out of the way in the tag "division".

Archived