WrestleMania XXXI Discussion thread *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
*Long neil tries to be Pitcos post*

You seem to be confused with your original point. You just listed off a bunch of people you think shouldnt have main evented WrestleMania, but did. So Bryan should be main eventing WrestleMania by your logic.

Oh and Benoit was by far the most over man on the roster at the time. People loved this guy. And Miz was hardly a headliner, considering it was the Rock who was the main focus of that feud.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Long neil tries to be Pitcos post*

You seem to be confused with your original point. You just listed off a bunch of people you think shouldnt have main evented WrestleMania, but did. So Bryan should be main eventing WrestleMania by your logic.

Oh and Benoit was by far the most over man on the roster at the time. People loved this guy. And Miz was hardly a headliner, considering it was the Rock who was the main focus of that feud.

I'm not trying to be anybody.

I think you're reading way too much between lines that aren't actually there. Between 2005 and 2015, at least one man in the Wrestlemania main event has been one of the following: John Cena, Undertaker, The Rock, Batista, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton - There is an obvious pattern which doesn't feature the likes of Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, CM Punk etc. Which is the point I was making when I said guys like Bryan aren't meant to main event the big one. Over or not, there is always going to be a bigger star than they are.

When they do deviate from that loyal bunch, it's normally a one time deal. Remind me how many times the super over Benoit main evented. Or the completely over-shadowed Miz. Or the super popular cool guy Edge. Or current flavour of the month Daniel Bryan, and when these guys did get their moment, remind me who was on the opposite side of the ring.

• Paid Members

Over or not, there is always going to be a bigger star than they are.

And if they had the same attitude towards the ones you mentioned, nobody would ever main event WrestleMania outside of 2 people every year. "There's always going to be a bigger star than they are" is the dumbest logic ever. Becoming a big star is about positioning your over acts into places where they can become just as big or bigger stars than those who are on top. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels would have fell into the "guys like them" catogory in 1992 as well. You cant just go "well, there's bigger names than then anyway, so it doesn't matter."

All I was saying is that out of the 21 participants who've headlined Wrestlemania over the last 10 years, only 3 of them are people outside of the usual "formula" for lack of a better term, and all three of them have only done it once, for what it's worth. If you disregard any and all comments about being over, and who does or doesn't belong, that statistic is still staggering.

• Paid Members

The key thing for me is that Bryan just doesn't have the momentum he had last year. That WM title shot had to be his last year because it had to be the culmination of more than 8 months of storyline including a killer angle at SummerSlam where he had his heart ripped out. I wanted to see him finish that story. Most people in most arenas did. Hardly anyone wanted to see Batista swan in and take that spot. I've honestly no idea whether they were going to do it anyway or plans changed. Whatever though, what they ended up with was what they should have been planning from day one. The happy ending to the story.

That isn't the case this year. There's no reason for Bryan to be in the WM main event. He's not been involved in anything for months. He's come back with a whimper and there's no issue with him and Lesnar. There's no reason for outcry and no reason to change plans because the plan is fine.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bryan vs. Lesnar could be cool and I hope we see it somewhere. But there is no story here.

• Paid Members

The story is Daniel Bryan never lost the belt. He had that massive journey to win the title and when he won it he went down with a neck injury. A year out with a broken neck, he should have won the Rumble and wrestled Lesnar for the chance to win back the title he never lost against the man nobody can beat. That's the most sense they could make out of any storyline. But Bryan's done as a headliner, so that's that sadly.

• Paid Members

The story is Daniel Bryan never lost the belt. He had that massive journey to win the title and when he won it he went down with a neck injury. A year out with a broken neck, he should have won the Rumble and wrestled Lesnar for the chance to win back the title he never lost against the man nobody can beat. That's the most sense they could make out of any storyline. But Bryan's done as a headliner, so that's that sadly.

That's not the story because they've not mentioned it. I'm not talking about fantasy booking. Last year he had a story that everyone could get behind because they'd told half of it. It needed an ending. It doesn't exist this year. His comeback has been so low key that he doesn't have any momentum.

I'm sure that's deliberate because they don't want him overshadowing other people but that's what it is.

I don't know if he's done as a main eventer. I've never thought that he'd be a guy headlining month after month over guys like Cena and Orton though.

• Paid Members

There was no story last year either. He was never going to main event until the crowd shit on Batista. There was only a story until they found a way to tell one. The babyface coming back from injury to win his title back is the most simple thing is the world to tell. If he wrestles Dolph Ziggler its obvious what they think of him.

Since coming back, Bryan just hasn't had the Aura her had last year and whilst reactions towards him have been positive and not sure they have been any more positive than say Dolph Ziggler. A combination of great angles and fantastic matches got Bryan to where he was last year and since back from injury he just hasn't had the opportunity to do that again.

The best thing they could have done for Bryan was to not waste his comeback match on TV. They should never had confirmed he would be in the rumble either, it should only have been hinted at and they could have really played out the will he/wont he scenario until everyone was dying to see him and he could have received a monster pop. But then if he didn't win I suppose there was no point to this anyway.

Archived