Royal Rumble 2015 Discussion *SPOILERS FYI*

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Reigns could have been the face they wanted if they had let him be!

Instead they tried to turn him into Cena lite. Cena gets alot of boos at the best of times, but he has a loyal fan base of kids. Reigns had a fan base of older people that loved his ass kicking cool attitude (the same people that are now cheering Brock) So they turned him into a winking storytelling goon.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you actually think that was their mindset? Put on a shit match because they won't care either way?

Well what else could the logic be? They can't have looked at that on paper and thought it was going to be good in front of any crowd. There was a distinct lack of effort last night in putting that match together.

If WWE really want Reigns to get over then he needs protecting (and not by the Rock.) He needs to be kept away from circumstances where the crowd boo him. This could have been achieved with him losing the Rumble and being put against Cena at Mania. He doesn't need to win the belt yet to be a star. They could wait until the time is right and the fans are desperate to see him win. Then it will actually mean something rather than the shit we got last night.

Saying all that it is very possible he could have won last night and got a better reaction than he did. Regardless of your opinion on the outcome there is no excuse as to why he wasn't given a big shining moment, murdering everyone in sight. He just lay there till it was time to win

Reigns may still go on to be a big star, but WWE can do so much better with him. He shouldn't be getting booed out the building - it was only last year where fans were cheering him on to win it.

That doesn't mean anything. They cheered him last year because he wasn't Batista and wasn't going to win. The same types were cheering Rusev this year because he wasn't Roman Reigns and wasn't going to win. That sort are going to give the "I'm not going to like who you tell me to like! I'm going to my room!" reaction near enough every time. WWE can only push three kinds of babyface without them getting upset: 1) Ones who come from the indies, 2) Ones who have been "buried" by Cena/Vince/HHH, and 3) Ones who come from the indies and have been "buried."

I've had a bit of a strange change of mind over the last few weeks as far as Reigns goes. After the split of The Shield I much preferred Ambrose and Rollins as both men got their own style and moved on from The Shield whereas Reigns kept the same sort of attire and music The Shield had.

I then heard his name being thrown about as a possible winner of this year's Rumble and must say I wasn't really all that excited, to step back to last year I would have loved it when it became apparent Bryan wouldn't be in the Rumble and Reigns seemed everyone's second choice to win, me included. Now though I hoped they'd have Bryan win and go the route they should have done last year, or if not Bryan someone like Ziggler, Wyatt, Ambrose, Barrett, someone fresh who hasn't won a Rumble.

Then last night as the WWE Title match was happening I was hoping Rollins would win and then it dawned on me, I wanted Rollins to win, if Bryan won the Rumble it would still be a great WrestleMania main event but it would be even better if Ambrose or even Reigns won. Then obviously we all know Brock ended up retaining the Title so that got me back to wanting Bryan to win and be the guy to slay the Beast.

Then during the Rumble match Bryan got eliminated and I obviously went for my second choice guys, however when it got down to the last few guys and I realised it would either be Kane, Big Show or Reigns I was rooting for Reigns, not realising Rusev was still in it. When Reigns won and got beat down the whole thing dropped like a lead balloon and I was a little gutted but in a way I did think maybe this will work, well not having the winner getting beat down to see out the PPV but having Reigns win. So The Rock runs out to make the save and I thought it was still a bad way to finish as it made it more about The Rock than Reigns and looked like a cheap way to get a pop. Then I see on Twitter people saying Rusev never got eliminated and I thought I heard Rusev chants and when he got in the ring I actually thought I'd hate to see Rusev win it so luckily Reigns won and left me feeling a lot better about it.

In my mind now I think I would like to see Reigns face Brock, two big guys and Reigns getting involved as one of the main threats against The Authority would shake things up a bit. Then I thought an even cooler way would be to have Rollins cash in on Brock and win the Title, doesn't matter how but obviously make him look credible, then it'd be Rollins and Reigns and then if they somehow got Ambrose into the match it'd be amazing to see the three former members of The Shield in the WrestleMania main event for the WWE Title.

• Paid Members

Nah I'm not having that it was booed because it was Reigns that won and not Bryan, it was piss poor booking were you had two fat, bald middle aged men dominate a match then have them beat up your new powerhouse babyface requiring his infinitely more over cousin needing to save him? How in anyway was that going to get any other reaction from a known-to-be smark crowd?

For the first time in nearly a decade we've got a roster pretty stacked with promising talent, this rumble could have booked itself. Your last 4 should have been Rusev, Reigns, Wyatt and Bryan. Traditional balance of good and bad and the kind of guys they should be building the company around, whoever they plan on pairing Bryan with at Mania comes out and distracts him, one of your heels takes advantage and eliminates him, Reigns takes a beating, over comes the odds and eliminates your two heels. All the heat it is on your heels (where it should be) for fucking over Bryan and you get your new star winning the rumble, should have been that simple. Instead they bottled it with Bryan and shoehorned something in cause The Rock had a cancellation in his diary, making Reigns look like a chump all for the sake of a quick pop.

I've just about had it with WWE, all the ingredients are there for it to be brilliant again but instead we're left bickering over crowds and the best way to not let Reigns completely bomb. It's the Raw after rumble tonight, the start of "The Road to Wrestlemania" and there's absolutely nothing telling me that I NEED to watch this. For the past 10 months I'd have gotten more enjoyment out of watching Titanic every Tuesday morning, it is slightly shorter after all.

Nah I'm not having that it was booed because it was Reigns that won and not Bryan, 

You must have missed the Internet full of teenagers complaining about the likelihood of Reigns winning and not Bryan before the Rumble even happened. The reaction in Philadelphia and on forums wasn't in question, the only question was whether WWE would lose their nerve, go with Bryan and have Reigns flounder around like Sheamus for a year.

Your last 4 should have been Rusev, Reigns, Wyatt and Bryan. Traditional balance of good and bad and the kind of guys they should be building the company around, whoever they plan on pairing Bryan with at Mania comes out and distracts him, one of your heels takes advantage and eliminates him, Reigns takes a beating, over comes the odds and eliminates your two heels. All the heat it is on your heels (where it should be) for fucking over Bryan

If WWE thought the way they booked it was going to work for Reigns getting cheered, they were very naive. If you think your way would work, you're very naive. As soon as Bryan's out, the heat is on Reigns for being pushed (and WWE for booking it) rather than the heels for their storyline elimination of Bryan. There are loads of things that could've made the match better, but the result being what it was would have always led to a sore bum epidemic regardless of how they got there.

Reigns may still go on to be a big star, but WWE can do so much better with him. He shouldn't be getting booed out the building - it was only last year where fans were cheering him on to win it.

That doesn't mean anything. They cheered him last year because he wasn't Batista and wasn't going to win. The same types were cheering Rusev this year because he wasn't Roman Reigns and wasn't going to win. That sort are going to give the "I'm not going to like who you tell me to like! I'm going to my room!" reaction near enough every time. WWE can only push three kinds of babyface without them getting upset: 1) Ones who come from the indies, 2) Ones who have been "buried" by Cena/Vince/HHH, and 3) Ones who come from the indies and have been "buried."

While I appreciate you refraining from using that stupid buzzword, this is a load of bollocks.

Reigns is a different character to the one who was cheered last year. So much has changed with the way he is booked that it's understandable people who used to like him don't anymore. He is no longer the silent badass clearing house. He is no longer the person people want to cheer.

It has nothing to do with working in ROH, because he was cheered as a character adults enjoy. Now he is switching towards a different audience and his old fan base are losing numbers

• Paid Members

Ok should I maybe shouldn't have said "all the heat" but at least a share of it and some storyline development. As you've said it was inevitable that a large portion on the crowd were going to shit on Reigns as winner but they certainly never helped it by having the out-and-out fans' favourite dumped half way through without even a strong showing. Their booking in the rumble last night did nothing for anyone, why the fuck are Kane and Big Show, in 2015, eliminating the likes of Wyatt, one of the most promising young guys in years. Why are they anywhere near the top of the card these days? They're absolutely rotten and putting them near anyone on the rise does fuck all to help them.

While I appreciate you refraining from using that stupid buzzword, this is a load of bollocks.

False. They were always going to resent him being pushed as a babyface ahead of Rollins and Ambrose. Many of them said as much. Name a top babyface -- hell, any babyface really -- they like who doesn't fit any of the 3 key criteria that I laid out.

Reigns is a different character to the one who was cheered last year. So much has changed with the way he is booked that it's understandable people who used to like him don't anymore. 

Indeed. But then, before he started doing the Cena material, the same people crying were crying that his character hadn't changed since the Shield break-up.

Watching it back just now (the boos are even worse second time through)...and after Reigns chucks out Show and Kane they ring the bell as if it is over, and only later say Rusev is still in. Can't tell if that was meant to happen, or the bell shouldn't have been rung at that point. It was just all a little messy...

• Paid Members

False. They were always going to resent him being pushed as a babyface ahead of Rollins and Ambrose. Many of them said as much. Name a top babyface -- hell, any babyface really -- they like who doesn't fit any of the 3 key criteria that I laid out.

Going by last night, Brock Lesnar?

I think Pitcos does have a point, in that some fans are just cunts, but IMO, and maybe I'm being unrealistic in this, if WWE are on top form then their babyfaces connect with all demographics. I like Reigns myself, but I can see why a portion of male fans would find his schtick cringe-worthy. He was over with that type of fan a year ago, when he was leader of the Shield.

Of course, in WWE's defence, if Reigns goes on to sell a shit load of merchandise/tickets etc (despite mixed reactions from certain fans) then they'll be happy with their work.

Archived