Royal Rumble 2015 Discussion *SPOILERS FYI*

Onyx2

I think you're being too kind on WWE, tiger_rick. You only have to read through the last couple of pages here and take a look at Twitter to see that it wasn't just those in the arena that didn't like what they saw.

I didn't like what I saw, the match was shit.

The decision isn't though. You can't give people what they say they want all of the time. There are too many people with too many opinions. You have to tell the story you want to tell to get to where you want to get. Wrestling is different because stories play out on front of real people but the principle is the same. They get accused of not planning anything and of not making stars. When they stick to the plan to make a star - they get accused of being arrogant.

They absolutely cannot win with some people so they should always do what they think is right and live and die by the end result. They certainly shouldn't pander to people who will pay good money to watch something they don't like. You will never appease anyone with that mentality.

I'm the last person who'd suggest deviating away from your plans because it might upset people in the short term.

It's the fact that everybody with any idea of how pro wrestling works would have known that last night's booking was going to bomb. The blame is on WWE's doorstep on this one, not on a smart crowd trying to get themselves over.

There was nothing done to help Reigns' cause last night and they were punished for it. 

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They had this coming the second Bryan announced he was going into the Rumble. Nobody was expecting him to return and add himself to the match, so there was less chance of a repeat from last year. Yet as soon as they did, you knew it'd spell trouble if anyone other than Bryan were to win it, and that would become an even bigger problem if that winner was Reigns- who they are pushing as the next face.

If Bryan wasn't around, Reigns' reception may well have been different. One thing for sure- the crowd wouldn't have been completely dead for the second half of the Rumble. They were just better off leaving him out of it completely, he hasn't done much since returning. If they wanted him back in time for Mania, they could've had him return tonight on Raw. Seeing as there are no hints as to what he'll be doing at WrestleMania, it's not as though they've achieved anything by bringing him back in January.

And having those big useless messes Big Show and Kane poo pooing over everyone near the end was never going to help. They were glorified bin-men.

• Paid Members

The could have still made an effort to tell a decent story regardless of the ending? Just because the decision is stupid doesn't mean the match had to be the drizzling shit?

Point out where I've said otherwise please. 

It's the fact that everybody with any idea of how pro wrestling works would have known that last night's booking was going to bomb. The blame is on WWE's doorstep on this one, not on a smart crowd trying to get themselves over.

I agree it was predictable. Hence my line about them trolling. They knew it was in Philly. They knew what was going to happen. They knew the crowd was going to chant ECDub, pop for Heyman and want Bryan or Ziggler to win. I'd have loved the match to have been better but I still don't think it makes any difference to the reaction.

They had two choices. Change their plans completely and do something they didn't want to do or ride it out. They chose to ride it out. I say good on them. If it's a success in the end, they've done the right thing. Success isn't Reigns getting cheered at WM, it's Reigns having a run as WWE champion in front of full arenas and a shot load of people buying his merch.

There was nothing done to help Reigns' cause last night and they were punished for it.

Like the joint biggest star in the history of the business coming out to endorse him?

Seems like I'm in the minorty in the fact that I enjoyed the rumble match. Was it great, no but enjoyable. I have seen a lot worse. My only gripe with it is how kane and show were eliminating people thought that was shit but on the whole i enjoyed it. Also loved the title match. Rollins is going to be the top heel soon in my opinion

Enjoyable show for right and wrong reasons. Fair play to them for going all the way with Reigns. The Rumble started off brilliant, and even after it went to pot, it was still entertaining for the amount of blood coming out of people's arseholes in the crowd and on Twitter. Having Big Show and Kane throw the favourites out like dead sacks of shit was fantastic trolling. If they weren't going for the lolz at that reaction, though, they must be mental.

Did anyone between DDP and Big Show/Kane do anything? It seemed like for ages, everyone was just running in and immediately joining the mire rather than getting on a hot streak at all. Barrett should have been throwing Bullhammers left and right for the first minute he was in. I think the only person who hit one all night was Nikki Bella?

The title match was all kinds of brilliant. One of the best triple threats ever, if not the best. The ten thousand finishers was a bit Kurt Angle, but I don't care. You wouldn't get a match that fun and gripping if it was Cena, Rollins and anyone else. Lesnar might not be worth half what they pay him, but he's absolutely unique.

Nice to see R Truth get a PPV pay date though so he could be the Black guy doing moves with Bubba Ray eh?

I was amazed they missed the trick of doing the catchphrase before the headbutt. R-Truth says WHAT'S UP all the time as it is, how did they not tie it in at all?

Rick, I'm using my phone so not going to fuck about picking out exact quotes (unless you really want me to.) Your whole attitude is that the crowd were being dicks, which isn't true. They were presented with a shit match and had no reason to do anything other than sit on their hands. The match would have been awful no matter what crowd it had been in front of

Nah the crowd would have shit on it no matter what because their favourites didn't win. That's just the way they are these days. WWE didn't help matters in the way they presented the rumble and Reigns but the crowd would have shit on it for sure.

Nah the crowd would have shit on it no matter what because their favourites didn't win. That's just the way they are these days. WWE didn't help matters in the way they presented the rumble and Reigns but the crowd would have shit on it for sure.

While it is a mental concept that people want their favourites to win, it's still awful that WWE obviously thought "well people probably won't like the winner, so let's just go through the motions and present them with a shit match"

Looks like i'm the only happy one on here about the Rumble, i had the winning entrant number at 50/1 thanks paddy power. Shame i only had 10p on it. Also had the runner up E/w

I still don't see whats wrong with the old way of doing things and having your most popular babyface in the Rumble win it and have them go to Wrestlemania

Bryan is obviously more over than Reigns so why fuck about? All that's going to happen now is one of two things 1. Reigns wins the title at Mania and gets a lukewarm reaction at best, booed out of the place at worst or 2. Rollins cashes in at the end of Mania and the crowd go mental cheering for a heel

While it is a mental concept that people want their favourites to win, it's still awful that WWE obviously thought "well people probably won't like the winner, so let's just go through the motions and present them with a shit match"

Yeah but your point was that the crowd were being dicks because of the shitness of the match and whilst WWE could have booked it much better the crowd would have still been dicks the moment Dolph or D-Bry or Ambrose or whoever didn't win, regardless of match quality.

Archived