Referees

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

charles-robinson.jpg

The real World's Champion...

I've just been watching the Sami Zayn vs. Adrian Neville match from the last NXT special, and in amongst all the great wrestling, it got me thinking about referees, and how important they are.

Or are they? In one way, they're the third person in any match, and it can't happen without them. Not just in terms of the obvious dramatic stuff like bumps and rope breaks and things, but in the obvious-but-so-important-you-don't-even-notice-it ways like counting pinfalls and things. A bad referee would most likely make a match worse because they'd take you out of your suspension of disbelief, but would you agree that if you're a good referee, the viewer will barely take notice of you?

I reckon refs are really important to the dynamics of a match. Not least because they've (possibly, I don't know) got earpieces and things so they clearly still have a role to play. But you could also say that they're a bit of a relic, they're essentially only there to do a pin or submission, or occasionally get taken out to allow shenanigans. I think I'm right in thinking that WWE doesn't really name its referees anymore, like it used to - is that an indication that they're not that important anymore, and are going the way of the timekeeper? (Or do people still know the names of the current refs like in the days of Hebner, Chioda, White, Long, Patton, Doan, Patrick, Robinson and Korderas?)

Refs go on the road like the wrestlers, they wear their knees out like the wrestlers, and they're performing in the ring like the wrestlers as well. There's an art to it - I've never tried it, but that must be the case. I know they're supposed to blend into the background, and they're arguably not anywhere near as important as the wrestlers, but should they get more recognition? Can you think of any matches that would be noticeably worse without a referee? And who do you think should be the first referee to be entered into the Hall Of Fame? (Or the next one, if there's already been one and I missed it).

Or, have WWE got it about right? They're there, they do their job, that's enough, we shouldn't be paying too much attention to them?

• Paid Members

I hate the fact they aren't acknowledged by name any more.

I'm sure anyone my age can roll off Jack Doan, Earl Hebner, Nick Patrick, Randy Anderson, Joey Marella, Jim Korderas, Bill Alfonso etc. In any sport you know the names of the referees as they're an integral part of the event. 

Also, think back to how many angles there have been involving referees. You have Dangerous Danny Davis with Jimmy Hart, the twin referees which screwed Hulk Hogan out of the WWF Title, Nick Patrick with the nWo and Earl Hebner hating Triple H.

• Paid Members

Rewatching Raw's from 1998-2000 over the past year have really highlighted how fucking shit a referee Earl Hebner was. He was a right gormless twat and didn't look like he had a clue what he was doing. In terms of standing up to heels and showing emotion he was good but I swear there were countless times where he would just wander aimlessly around the right completely confused. A heel would smack the babyface with a foreign object and while Earl is supposed to be distracted he would often just stare gormlessly at them. 

Tim White on the other hand was great. Out of todays lot I think they're pretty good. Drake Younger down at NXT is a really sympathetic ref who I'd like to see on the main shows.

EDIT: Just remembered the storyline where the refs all went on strike because they kept getting beat up by the wrestlers and they were replaced by scab refs like Tom Pritchard who were rubbish and would let heels get away with all sorts. I love stories like that. Adds so much depth to the shows.

EDIT: Just remembered the storyline where the refs all went on strike because they kept getting beat up by the wrestlers and they were replaced by scab refs like Tom Pritchard who were rubbish and would let heels get away with all sorts. I love stories like that. Adds so much depth to the shows.

Didn't Jimmy Korderas walk through the picket line and get a beating from the other refs for it?

edit: At Unforgiven 99. The refs attack Korderas during the main event, Austin makes the save

If we're talking UK there's no real debate to be had as far as who's the best...

There's Chris Roberts, then there's everybody else.

He's excellent as the job and a top bloke to boot, but I think that's a gross disservice to some of the others out there, personally.

Ash and Ebb I'd have to agree with you guys.

Chris is a fantastic chap and a great ref. He's been involved in so many top moments on the UK scene in recent years. Not to knock on other refs on the scene. There are many out there who do an amazing job also. But he gets the nod from me personally.

I'm so glad to see LaGoosh is joining me on the anti-Hebner side of the fence.....I thought I was the only one.

I really don't get it with him although when the likes of Austin and others who had to work with him heap praise on him he must be doing something right.

I hated his near fall counts. Watch his arm as he starts the third count, he moves it LONG BEFORE the shoulders start to move.

His ref bumps are the drizzling shits! Rigor mortis seemed to set in the second he was hit then he'd flop around (whilst somehow maintaining the stiff posture) like a carp on dry land.

I was never a fan of the 'ref physically standing up to the villain' spot. I know Tommy Young also did it and he is a refereeing GOD but it made the heel look the shits. The whole idea of the ref being able to keep law & order should've simply been down to him being the ref, goddamit. Hell, point to the badge a few times that always worked.

• Moderators

If we're talking UK there's no real debate to be had as far as who's the best...

There's Chris Roberts, then there's everybody else.

He's excellent as the job and a top bloke to boot, but I think that's a gross disservice to some of the others out there, personally.

Yeah, there are some quality refs about.

I don't understand the move to stop naming them, but I just add it to the list along with WWE Universe, sports entertainment and closed fist punches of things that don't make any sense to me in the modern WWE.

Is Lil Naitch still in WWE then?  What happens to refs when they leave?  I remember really liking Nick Patrick when WCW merged with WWE, but I can't remember when he left.

Back in the day around the late 80's early 90's, Earl Hebner was easily the most charismatic and entertaining referee in wrestling at the time. His fued against his brother Dave during the whole Andre/Hogan/Dibiase/Macho fued was pretty entertaining stuff and for me the most memorable part was when Hogan gorilla presses him over the top rope on to Dibiase and he took that sick bump due to the fact Hogan launched him far beyond the waiting below Dibiase.

I find that after the Monteral Screwjob Earl became less passionate about refereeing (I'm sure he said that in an interview with him I read) which is pretty evident as his refereeing became pretty lackluster but I still enjoy his refereeing he seems game to get involved physically which is commendable considering his age and probable aches and pains.

Was it Earl Hebner that refereed a match between the British Bulldog and Shawn Michaels and during the match Bulldog collided with him and knocked him from the centre of the ring clear through the ropes to the outside. Which ever referee it was its easily one of my favourite referee bumps.

Now Tommy Young was a sensational referee and my favourite, I studied his refereeing skills (along with others) when I refereed myself for a few years for wZw and other promotions in the Newcastle area.

Can you remember the female referees during 80's WWE?

Archived