Survivor Series Discussion - ***SPOILERS***

neil is brill

• Paid Members

Great main event but just want to discuss something that happened in the opening segment, with Vince saying only John Cena can being Triple H and Steph back into power...possibly looking far too much into this but could that possibly be the big heel turn? With a few faces like Sting (despite possibly being just a special attraction), Reigns, Ambrose, Ziggler and a returning Orton at some point, could they afford to not have Cena as the top guy?

Like i said, probably looking far too much into it but just seemed like an odd stipulation to make.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wondered about the possibility of a Cena heel turn as it's an odd stipulation. That or he's caught in some dilemma and reluctantly has to reinstate them.

It's a move they can pull out that can rejuvenate the product and make people sit up and take notice. They might deploy that if they feel they're losing money and need subscriptions.

• Paid Members

Thanks to BT telling me that my internet won't work until Friday I was only able to watch the last 11 minutes of the PPV. The music actually suits Sting but I still would have preferred his crow music. Stephanie is magnificent. That's all.

• Paid Members

Weird to think that's pretty much the end of history from the multiple promotions era. Unless I'm forgetting someone, there's never again going to be somebody who makes their first appearance in WWE and is already a genuine established superstar from somewhere else (sorry, AJ Styles.)

My first few years as a fan were all "OMG, it's LOD in WWF/OMG it's Ric Flair in WWF/OMG it's Lex Luger in WWF" and that's gone now unless and until somebody somehow gets to be a genuine major #2 promotion.

Or Vince was feeding him lines to say like he does for the announce team.

Yep, there is a section of the audience who wouldn't have known who Sting is, or of what he has done. Not everyone is a twenty thirty something.

Exactly. Anybody born before WCW went under will be a teenager now. There'll be tons of kids wondering who Sting is.

Any teenager aged wrestling fan with the WWE Network will know who Sting is...

Would I be right in thinking that as his theme is featured on WWE 2k15, the WWE owns the rights to his proper WCW song anyway?

I know there were certain issues with who owned some of the WCW themes during the changeover, but seemingly not this one then.

Mind you, if the WWE were willing to fork out good money for CM Punk and The Undertaker to use a proper band song, they could have done the same for Sting and Metallica anyway.

Metallica are known for being cunts when it comes to royalty fees, hence why Enter Sandman wasn't used post-ONS

Or Vince was feeding him lines to say like he does for the announce team.

Yep, there is a section of the audience who wouldn't have known who Sting is, or of what he has done. Not everyone is a twenty thirty something.

Exactly. Anybody born before WCW went under will be a teenager now. There'll be tons of kids wondering who Sting is.

Any teenager aged wrestling fan with the WWE Network will know who Sting is...

Would I be right in thinking that as his theme is featured on WWE 2k15, the WWE owns the rights to his proper WCW song anyway?

I know there were certain issues with who owned some of the WCW themes during the changeover, but seemingly not this one then.

Mind you, if the WWE were willing to fork out good money for CM Punk and The Undertaker to use a proper band song, they could have done the same for Sting and Metallica anyway.

Metallica are known for being cunts when it comes to royalty fees, hence why Enter Sandman wasn't used post-ONS

That was Universal who we're being cunts. They own Enter Sandman (Black album was released through Veryigo, of which Universal is the parent company) so they control what they get for it, Metallica don't

Main even was fun though I groaned at Show's turn and even I hate the whole "pull ref out of the ring and twat him" spot in a match that has DQ's in the rules.

Stings debut was ok but personally I stopped caring about that a long time ago but I certainly get why a lot of people are hyped for it.

If there has ever been a case for sacking the entire commentary team it was last night, it was quite honestly the worst it has ever been and that is saying something. I'll take an unmotivated JR over that bunch of shite hawks any time.

Divas elimination match was pants and the fans let them know it with a Mizdow chant and then rallying behind Paige when it went 4-1. Tyson's head gear was the highlight of the match.

Speaking of Divas the Divas Title match can just be summed up in one word "odd" firstly because it has been so long since the "kiss of death" that Cole had to pretty much scream out the reference and secondly because Brie was so smug and happy afterwards. It's probably for the best though because Brie is a truly rotten face, almost AJ Lee levels of stench.

The other Bella has a wonderful arse.

Hopefully AJ Lee is fucking off now, still would have preferred it if Stephanie squashed her like a bug and sent her packing but I'll take what I can get.

Other stuff happened and it was all very meh.

Stephanie McMahon was the star of the night.

All in all as much as you can expect from what was always a one match card.

• Awards Moderator

Great main event, the rest of the show wasn't so great.

I skipped the opening talking bit. The tag match was nothing I couldn't have seen on RAW or SmackDown, but I'm glad Mizdow won, makes sense to strike while the iron's hot on that one.

I skipped the Divas match. Wasn't too fussed by Ambrose vs Wyatt, but their TLC match should be good. Makes sense to turn the match into an extended ad for TLC since they'll want people to be paying for the Network to see it.

I skipped the Bunny match and the other Divas match.

The main event, however, I did watch, and it was great! I didn't know how it was going to end, so I was sucked in by each twist and turn. Ziggler was the best I've seen him, I think. Ryback's elimination worked for me, for reasons someone else explained in this thread, I was fine with Rusev being counted out, I didn't actually expect Big Show's turn, and Rollins looked like a proper main eventer. Great match.

As for Sting - I can't say I didn't notice his hair being a bit rubbish but I really didn't care, I was totally caught up in the moment. I've never even been a Sting fan but when he turned up it was amazing - felt like a real historic moment, the kind you very rarely get these days. The one icon who'd never been in WWE... In WWE! Fantastic stare down with HHH too, that'll be a great match I hope they save til Mania.

(And I never watched WCW so the music didn't bother me either).

Anyway, in summary I agree with most others here, crap first half, cracking main event.

Archived