Survivor Series Discussion - ***SPOILERS***

neil is brill

Ziggler was fun on ryders shows, does stand up regular as well. Probably hits the wall when given promos from writers, as as mentioned above, how cn anyone write for him when the definition of his characters wather thin?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy has charisma and an obvious passion and enthusiasm when he speaks. 

Have you got any links to this? I've missed a few Smackdowns lately, it must have been then when he displayed all this charisma, passion and enthusiasm. He's been as poor as ever with his mic work on Raw. He talks like he's trying to emulate wrestlers who have those things, but he's never ever come close to showing them himself in any interview I've seen. I remember him saying in a press/web interview a while back that he was really envious of wrestlers who could talk like they meant it, and that sums him up perfectly thus far.

As much as you might whinge about Ziggler, it would have been fucking awful if it was Cena in that position. No selling and dead selling and smiling his way through the last 10 minutes would have ruined the match and achieved nothing. At least now there's a teeny tiny chance of them making a new star.

Then again, you lot would all prefer Mark Henry huffing and puffing his way to main event stardom! I can take or leave Dolph, but at least it's a chance for something new in that part of the card. Even if they fuck it up (they will).

Nash is even worse than Cena at selling how important it was to win or lose and the gravity of stipulations/situations. Though obviously you're just trolling with that one ;)

Big Show however, is pretty great. He could have pulled it off. He's a good actor and, by wrestler standards, always does a grand job with the dredge he's given.

And it's not about hating Cena. Cena is great in certain situations. Just never when anything important happens. His character never gives two shits about losing and every stipulation involving him has been complete bullshit. John Cena the character is just awful. The booking of that character is detrimental to the product and the other wrestlers. John Cena the wrestler, can be great sometimes and usually does the best he can with what he's given and what he's instructed to do.

The main event was great, only minor gripes but what's the point in being a wrestling fan if you can argue over little details? I would have rather seen Ryback protected more.

Fantasy booking bollocks: Henry gets knocked out and lays dead by the ring. Triple H screams at him till he wakes up and tells him to kill Ryback. Henry grabs a chair and goes nuts on Ryback (can't get DQ'd because he's already out.) Later on Ryback saves Ziggler from being put through the table and takes out Russev in some mad spectacular way. Leading to the both being counted out. If Russev was going to be eliminated we all knew it would be by count out, so he might as well have shared it with Ryback.

I was expecting Rowan to turn which actually made it a shock when Big Show did. The shock had diminished entirely by the time he shook Triple H's hand.

Ziggler performed really well, he fit the role perfectly. Rather him than Cena as we all know Cena can perform super human acts, where as with Dolph every near fall could actually have been the end.

Great to see Sting. I think the hair was more of an issue than the music. Not everyone is familiar with whatever Stings best music was but everyone can see he had shit hair

• Paid Members

The John Cena character has really tarnished wrestling's previously perfect reputation for honouring stipulations.

What do you mean? Randy Savage hasn't wrestled since 1991 and Terry Funk retired in 1983.

Some fucking tedious shit about Ziggler ... again. He's nowhere near as good as some argue and nowhere near as shit as others would have you believe.

The Mr. Perfect comparison is a good one. He's not as good as Hennig but he hasn't come up in the same way. No wrestler these days is going to have the same instincts and ability to improvise as those who broke in 30 years ago.

He has a lot of the same qualities and flaws Perfect had though. The biggest difference between the two is that Perfect had an established character that he lived and could get across.

Ziggler has no character. He never has had. As someone said, what the fuck do we know about DZ? Maybe WWE think we're all dweebs who follow all the wrestlers on twitter and watch all their youtube videos? Who knows. But they've been fucking lazy for a long time and DZ is a major victim of that.

Dolph will never rise above the king of the mid-card slot that Perfect, erm, perfected. And that's OK. It's nice to see him have some moments in the spotlight but he'll never be the guy who's in it 24/7.

I think the hair was more of an issue than the music.

During the attitude era I was 100% a WCW guy. I always watched Nitro ahead of Raw to the point where I think I remember Van Hammer or Disco Inferno better than I do any WWE midcarders of the time. With that, I still didn't mind his new music and I can get past his hair looking thin as buggery (He's 55 lol) It's so thin, it might've looked worse jet black. But one thing does bug me. At first and in the heat of the moment I didn't even realise it but having watched it a good 4/5 times now, why did they leave the arena lights on? He's a mysterious character. Lights off with that titon tron would've worked a treat. Lights off at Scott Armstrong's 2 count, everything else as it was, then lights back on again as the stair down begins. Lights back on again would even been a good subliminal cue for the crowd to start their "this is awesome" chant.

Lights being on hasn't ruined it for me at all but yeah, it's something that I will always wish had been done different.

The first thing that struck me was... where's his bat?   I've come to associate that as part of his outfit, he looked weird without it IMO.  The Bat v The Sledgehammer is a gimme part of the build up to this feud, surely?

I guess he's not coming down from the rafters any time soon then, not at 55.  Fair enough.  But give the man a bat.

Also, I went back and watched the Diva multi tag - nice prefiguring of the main event, with it being 4 on 1 at the end.  I think Paige is head and shoulders over most of the roster, men and women, with her character work - when one of her opponents mocked her, she said "Yeah, I saw it, you're an idiot"   :D .

Finally... Bunny's on a roll.  I can see him doing well in the Rumble, you heard it here first.  Great selling by Rose, he's actually quite good.

Above anything regarding the Sting debut, it was the lighting for me. They should have had blue lightening effects, and made it more darker TBH, but hey we got Sting, so that is the most important.

With the bat, he could have stood by the curtain and pointed it at HHH, but then what does he do with it? Attack with it, or just put it down?

Archived