Most Disappointing Wrestlers in History

Liam O'Rourke

Sin Cara (Mistico). One of Triple H's first signings, lots of hype surrounding him, huge deal in Mexico, next Rey Mysterio- and he shit the bed.

The thing I'll remember most about him wasn't all the botches, it was the fact that he legitimately quit a match because of a dislocated pinky. What a pussy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really disappointed by Tomko.  He's a big bastard and hugely talented, and managed to make himself look like a legitimate future main eventer during his tenure in TNA.  God knows what happened over his return to WWE, but I've seen not a peep from him since.  He's probably doing an Albert.

The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith - looked the part (apart from purple junked up Attitude era) but his mic work wad hilariously terrible throughout his entire career, and his finisher was the definition of disappointing....

Matt Morgan. Looked the part, could speak and had a good attitude, but some how he just never came good.

I'm really disappointed by Tomko.  He's a big bastard and hugely talented, and managed to make himself look like a legitimate future main eventer during his tenure in TNA.  God knows what happened over his return to WWE, but I've seen not a peep from him since.  He's probably doing an Albert.

Didn't Tomko go on the crack, get fat and end up in prison for armed robbery or something?

• Paid Members

Some decent shouts for various reasons so far. Sin Cara is a good call- he had such a big reputation in Mexico that it seemed like a massive signing for WWE at the time, in an age when you hardly ever saw the company herald a superstar signing, with a public presentation and everything. Even fans like me, who watches no lucha, had heard plenty about him and had seen clips of his amazing offence on YouTube. It was obvious that they were looking for their next big Hispanic star to replace the broken-down Mysterio and this guy was going to be it. How things unfolded were pretty hilarious. You know you've fucked up when they give your gimmick to a fat, slow Hunico.

• Moderators

I think Sean O’Haire would be a good shout. Looked a million bucks in WCW, then was given a good push on his introduction in the WWF and then… didn’t amount to much.

No, he was shit. Despite what people fool themselves into thinking.

The correct answer is Barry Windham. No-one has ever been as naturally gifted as wrestler as he. Even fat Barry in 1999 could flow from a superplex to a pinfall like it was piss down a urinal like it was the most natural thing in the world. But, for his own shortcomings and lack of giving a fuck it never came to where it should do for him. He'd just walk out of a company, or become "Fat Baz". As he said in his Paedo Feinstein shoot when he was asked who's the most overrated wrestler of all time, he asked for the camera to be turned off, then came back and said "me". But he wasn't overrated. Just couldn't be fucked hitting that potential. In 1988, no-one in the world was better.

• Paid Members

I think Sean O’Haire would be a good shout. Looked a million bucks in WCW, then was given a good push on his introduction in the WWF and then… didn’t amount to much.

No, he was shit. Despite what people fool themselves into thinking.

The correct answer is Barry Windham. No-one has ever been as naturally gifted as wrestler as he. Even fat Barry in 1999 could flow from a superplex to a pinfall like it was piss down a urinal like it was the most natural thing in the world. But, for his own shortcomings and lack of giving a fuck it never came to where it should do for him. He'd just walk out of a company, or become "Fat Baz". As he said in his Paedo Feinstein shoot when he was asked who's the most overrated wrestler of all time, he asked for the camera to be turned off, then came back and said "me". But he wasn't overrated. Just couldn't be fucked hitting that potential. In 1988, no-one in the world was better.

Given you quoted my post, if you re-read it you'll see I never once said he was good, just that he looked good but it didn't lead to him actually becoming any good despite his short lived pushes.

That, to me, equates to a disappointment.

• Paid Members

Why not say Tom Magee or Ted Arcidi then? He wasn't disappointing, just green, and just more proof for the "athletism means fuck all" fire.

Because I've never heard of either of those. Did they receive—albeit short lived—pushes from two major wrestling organisations as well, like?

For me its Samoa Joe, he was a BEAST when he arrived in TNA, the first few weeks of his feud with Angle was some of the most exciting stuff TNA have ever done and then he kind of just drizzzled out. Sure they put the belt on him but can anybody name a notable match when he was champ? (the match where he won it doesn't count)

He had all the makings of a genuine star

Why not say Tom Magee or Ted Arcidi then? He wasn't disappointing, just green, and just more proof for the "athletism means fuck all" fire.

Because I've never heard of either of those. Did they receive—albeit short lived—pushes from two major wrestling organisations as well, like?

Tom Magee was a truly great athlete at 6'4" and 275 lbs. High level strongman and powerlifting competitor with athletic abilities beyond belief such as a standing shooting star press as his entrance to the ring. I think he got the nickname "Megaman". He impressed Vince McMahon so much in a dark match against Bret Hart in 1986 that McMahon is rumoured to have thought that he had found "the new Hulk Hogan". Magee wrestled on and off for WWE until 1989, picking up a loss against Jim Powers in one of his last matches there.

Archived