UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going for :

Johnson - Sub

Cerrone - TKO/KO
Conor - TKO/KO
Romero - Dec

Nunes - TKO/KO

Cruz - Dec

All of those apart from Johnson and Cruz are real 50/50 fights to me. I'm really hoping Conor wins and Romero smashes Kennedy. I'm so pumped for this, I'm even starting to get slightly excited about the main event!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just seen the weigh ins and cannot bloody wait for this now. Pea head becomes less and less likeable the more aggressive he tries to be.

Anyone else think mcgregor looks like shit when he weighs in? It was the same in Dublin. His face is so drawn and gaunt, he looks like a different person to the one in the embedded videos! I know it goes without saying that fighters are going to look tired and dehydrated at the weigh in but even so, mcgregor seems to look particularly bad.

• Paid Members

Man, the Conor McGregor weigh in has really become an event in itself, hasn't it?

Poirier definitely seems over-emotional. He really didn't seem to like the crowd reactions either. I think he was expecting the crowd to be with him because it's in America but sounds like there's a fair few Irish there. Poirier looked too emotional to me. Screaming, face like he's chewing a wasp, the lot. I mean, shit, he was even taking his fucking socks off angrily. That was the angriest taking off of socks I've ever seen anyway. And I've watched a lot of weigh ins.

I'm not sure what this means because some fighters fight better angry. Some it works against them. I think it could play right into McGregor's hands though. I'm starting to doubt my pick of Poirier. I really don't know what the fuck's going to happen now.

134_Dustin_Poirier_and_Conor_McGregor.jp

I'm a newly married man with a kid. I shouldn't be this excited watching men stare at each other in their pants at 2:35am on a Saturday morning.

• Paid Members

Anyone else think mcgregor looks like shit when he weighs in?...His face is so drawn and gaunt, he looks like a different person to the one in the embedded videos!

Ha, not the weigh in but my wife commented on that exact thing when the Dublin show was on. She quite fancies McGregor usually but when the fight was about to start and the little graphic popped up with McGregor and Brandao, she said something like 'what's wrong with his head? It wasn't like that before was it?' She clarified she was indeed disturbed by the utter skinniness of the man's face. Saying it made him look a bit like a rat.

He did look a bit weird on the Dublin show to me. And it's not just a weigh in thing because his head still looked 2D during the fight with Brandao. When he's just doing media and stuff between camps he looks like his normal old self. When the Tale of the Tape popped up for the Brandao fight he looked like a white Snoop Dogg. Narrowest head ever.

Normal Conor...

4591231221.png

Headshrinker Conor...

76.png

There is a difference there, right?

• Paid Members

I'm a newly married man with a kid. I shouldn't be this excited watching men stare at each other in their pants at 2:35am on a Saturday morning.

haha, i think that myself sometimes. The weigh-in's are very much a part of the show, but to anyone who isnt a fan or has no idea whats really going on it must look a bit fruity.

In regards to McGregor, he walks at around middleweight.

I read an interview with his trainer this week, where he was saying that as he gets older he'll rise organically through the divisions to Welterweight, which is where someone his height/weight would naturally be.

His trainer reckons he'll be a 3 weight champion, but of course he'll say that.

Pea Head seems like an apt name. He is more than a bit silly for taking McGregor's bait.

I did notice that Poirier has not done well when fights have gone long, he does have a tendency to either finish early, or get beat. Swanson and Zombie both beat him when their fights went long (Zombie was up on the cards when he finished Poirier in the 4th, whilst Swanson clearly won 2 rounds, with the other round being competitive). Poirier did rally against Zombie in the 3rd round and might have won the round, but Zombie finished him in the next round. Poirier struggled to find a consistent edge over Zombie throughout, as most had Zombie ahead either 2-1 or 3-0.

Poirier did beat Erick Koch when it went 3 rounds, but Koch was only a modest opponent. When faced with top 10 145ers, it seems Poirier finds it very hard to win rounds outright. He does usually finish modest opponents early, as shown when he beat a very young Hollaway, and in his last fight against Akira.

If McGregor starts well and finds his groove, he could win on points. McGregor is a good front runner, as he showed against Hollaway. 

• Paid Members

You're trying to hard to keep saying Pea Head - we get it.

education-graphics_1066037a.jpg

Say what you see. If you see it, say it.

This picture of Poirier training was snapped this morning on the Vegas strip. Looking lean, mean and green;

pKFRRE64Na-4.png

I agree Jim. Poirier is good, no doubt about it. And he's definitely the toughest test for McGregor yet. But people going on like he's going to smash McGregor or that McGregor is way out of his depth, I think that's way off based on what we actually know. Poirier's only real edge on paper is he's faced some better opposition. But he lost those fights to Zombie and Cub. And like you say, as fun as the Zombie fight was, Zombie actually bossed most of it. If you look at who Poirier's actually beat, they're no more impressive than who McGregor's beat really. Yet people act like McGregor's fought bums and Poirier is some killer when they've beaten a very similar level of opposition.

The two common opponents they have are Brandao and Holloway. They both stopped Brandao within a round. Brandao landed a bit better on Poirier than he did on Conor though, and Brandao didn't look in as good shape against Poirier either (without checking I think he missed weight too). Poirier beat Holloway more impressively than McGregor did because he submitted him. But then Holloway was like 19 and green making his UFC debut and had improved by the time he fought McGregor.

They've actually got really comparable records when you look at them.

Archived