UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

He's spot on on both points for me.

Absolutely. There's nothing more infuriating than the, "I'll fight anyone" brigade. You might as well have not even won the fight you just had. They ask you the question because they want you throw out a name, make yourself stand out and build up your next fight. They wouldn't ask you if they didn't want you to say a name. Every time a fighter brushes the question aside to thank Jesus or some shit I want to scream. Even if you don't want to throw out a name, at least say something of substance. Just look at how many times they've replayed Conor saying, "there's not a man alive that can beat me," and "we're not here to take part, we're here to take over." Give them soundbites they can use. Give them footage they can put in trailers. Just do something. Anything. Make their job easier.

The perfect example is Norman Parke. I'm not a huge fan or anything, and he came across a bit like a McGregor tribute act in Dublin, but at least he's trying. And there's no denying it worked. Calling out Diego Sanchez like he did not only made him stand out, but it got him the fight he wanted as well.

That right there is the lesson guys needs to learn. Not whatever nonsense was inside Dustin's pea head when he was running away scared in that video.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't think I've watched a live UFC since UFC 100. I'm considering it this weekend though. Is it 1am to 4am?

Oh dear Supremo, you're in for a painful surprise!!

3 motherfuckin am is when the PPV starts! A right ball ache. Good news is you can go to bed more than likely 4.45/5 as Johnson comes on last.

Regarding the call outs, I've got nothing against someone even saying "I'll fight anyone" regarding their next opponent. As long as they can elaborate on that comment with something like "because they are all just bodies to me!" or "because no matter who it is, they are going down and the title will be mine" etc etc.

It's the conviction and their demeanour as well that's vital. If someone just comes from a 3/5 round war and stares into the camera with some intensity I will lap it up all day long.

You just need to look at Dennis Bermudez who's on a 7 fight win streak and is only now getting noticed. At least during the past two fights he finally learned to (and you can check Carbomb's sig!) use his mouth. The guy has natural charisma but wasn't using it until now.

• Paid Members

3 until 6am?!? Jesus Christ! Maybe I'll just watch it in the morning after all!

Just checking the odds on William Hill, I was surprised to see McGregor (1/3) is the favourite against Poirier (9/4). Even as the biggest McGregor fan in the world that seems unusual. I might throw a tenner on Poirier to soften the blow if Conor ends up losing.

• Paid Members

3 until 6am?!? Jesus Christ! Maybe I'll just watch it in the morning after all!

Just checking the odds on William Hill, I was surprised to see McGregor (1/3) is the favourite against Poirier (9/4). Even as the biggest McGregor fan in the world that seems unusual. I might throw a tenner on Poirier to soften the blow if Conor ends up losing.

When I've chosen to stay up, what works for me is getting to bed early as possible, say sleeping from 11 till 3, getting 5 hours in.

With cards where it's been on a 2 fight card I've set my alarm for 3.45am and you wake up quite refreshed. The problem with 178 is that some of the prelims are great so I may try and sleep 10 till say 2.

But, what is there for fans to sink their teeth into, what does he offer technically that Aldo, Dillashaw or others do not.  There is no feud or aura to Mouse which interests the masses. Mouse also does not appeal to a certain audience. McGregor appeals to the Irish, Rousey has her own appeal due to her gender. Which section of the audience is Mouse special to?

It's a good point, but couldn't one make the point, conversely, that Aldo and Dillashaw don't offer anything that Mouse does either?

Aldo was an established Champion long before Mouse became Champion. So, Aldo was the example of what a smaller man (sub 155) can do in the cage.

Aldo has built up an aura for himself. Aldo has beaten some household names like Edgar, Faber and Zombie. Mouse has beaten some "name" guys, but nobody of the stature of Edgar or Faber

Plus he is the last remaining Champion from Brazil. Although Brazil has Jacare on the rise, and a host of other fighters, the likes of Shogun and Wanderlai being at their end, does not bode well for the Brazilian market. Aldo being Champion does help a lot. Aldo could end up being the face of Brazilian MMA in the years to come.

You have a point with T.J. However, T.J's title win is more memorable than anything Mouse has ever done (as Barao has built up quite an aura). 

• Paid Members

There are some shows, and this is one of them, where I've been tempted to watch it live, but it's not worth the hassle of changing my schedule when I can go to sleep as normal and watch it in the morning.

There's just extra special watching something when you know it's happening right that second you're witnessing it in front of you. With a high class fight card like this, I think staying up is a must.

• Paid Members

speaking of the prelims, i actually looked up the undercard earlier cause id forgotten about it thinking of the main card.

Ebersole/Howard, Cote/Thompson, Masvidal/Krause :duh: they're all main card fights on their own for me.

This is going to be one hell of a show.

• Paid Members

Cruz isn't arsed about it apparently;

"FS1 is in 90 million households. It did 735k viewers on my teammate Ross Pearson's fight. At this point with the last two-plus years off, I'm just pumped to FINALLY be in there fighting again, period."

"My team at FOX Sports has been with me through this entire injury, witnessing me go crazy watching each and every fight card. Now I get to show them, alongside the rest of the world, how I can fight. It's not a downfall in any way at this point in the fight world to be on prelims anymore with these kind of views that FOX gets. It's my pleasure, and I'm absolutely PUMPED to just compete again."

Urijah Faber said similar about being on the UFC 175 prelims. Cruz and Faber probably have deals where they only get a cut of the PPV if they're in the main or co-main event. So being on the PPV here wouldn't make a difference to his paycheck anyway. So he gets the same money and more exposure than if he was on the PPV.

Also you have to consider Cruz's ties with FOX. He's an analyst for them and by all accounts they all love him there. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for the Cruz fight.

Archived